Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FTL: Faster Than Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 14, 2012

In this roguelike space sim, players are tasked with commanding a customized starship on an important mission through a randomized universe, with vile rebels nipping at their heels.

A Little Bit Of: FTL

lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By lim_ak

All power to forward shields.

This was one of the first Kickstarters I funded and I think it's sort of setting a weird precedent by being as rad as it is. You manage a starship. You manage it's crew, it's power, it's weapons even it's doors. And it all combines to being just a wonderful feeling game which also decides to amp it up by having the tension that is only made by perma death. A full run of the game doesn't take that long so you generally aren't losing that much. But it's still absolutely heart breaking when one of your crew dies and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it but watch as it happens. And losing a crewmate can be a terrible ordeal, you might not find another crewmate for several sectors. Othertimes one will be just in the next system.

Figuring out how to spend your scrap is also a big deal because you don't know when you're going to run into a store. Sometimes you try to wait till you get to a store and hope they have something good, but then while you sit around you could in fact be buying more shields or increasing your power capacity. It makes for something that is actually quite complex and is all about choosing what to do and when, a lot of the time you're going to be forced into a bunch of choices that could all turn out really bad. And that's a part of it, but getting a hard won victory against a tough enemy or when the dice rolls in your favour are moments to celebrate.

Also the end game boss is pretty darn rough.

lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lim_ak

All power to forward shields.

This was one of the first Kickstarters I funded and I think it's sort of setting a weird precedent by being as rad as it is. You manage a starship. You manage it's crew, it's power, it's weapons even it's doors. And it all combines to being just a wonderful feeling game which also decides to amp it up by having the tension that is only made by perma death. A full run of the game doesn't take that long so you generally aren't losing that much. But it's still absolutely heart breaking when one of your crew dies and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it but watch as it happens. And losing a crewmate can be a terrible ordeal, you might not find another crewmate for several sectors. Othertimes one will be just in the next system.

Figuring out how to spend your scrap is also a big deal because you don't know when you're going to run into a store. Sometimes you try to wait till you get to a store and hope they have something good, but then while you sit around you could in fact be buying more shields or increasing your power capacity. It makes for something that is actually quite complex and is all about choosing what to do and when, a lot of the time you're going to be forced into a bunch of choices that could all turn out really bad. And that's a part of it, but getting a hard won victory against a tough enemy or when the dice rolls in your favour are moments to celebrate.

Also the end game boss is pretty darn rough.

ZeeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ZeeL

The launch day of this game hurt my heart, because Black Mesa Source launched the same day. For all my need to hop back into the hazard suit and play as Gordon Freeman one more time, I COULD NOT stop playing FTL. Neither could any of my friends.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pyrodactyl

It's great, buy it so they make more content for it.

Finkmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Finkmeister

Really enjoyed the video! Thanks for the quick overview — definitely picking this up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.