Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FTL: Faster Than Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 14, 2012

In this roguelike space sim, players are tasked with commanding a customized starship on an important mission through a randomized universe, with vile rebels nipping at their heels.

FTL: Advanced Edition announced for PC and iPad

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dallas_Raines

We’ve been working hard over the summer and are excited to finally officially announce a free expansion, FTL: Advanced Edition! FTL: AE is a huge content addition that includes new weapons, drones, augments, systems, enemies, and more. Here are some details on just a few of the additions visible in the trailer:

• Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.
    • Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.
    • New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
    • New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.
    • And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments. All of which we’ll be sure to talk about more in the coming weeks!

In addition to new content, we’ve continued to polish FTL and add some of the most requested small features. As a few examples: you’ll be able to save your crew positions and send them back to battle-stations, save and quit during combat, and find more items for purchase in stores.

For the purists out there, FTL vanilla will still be available. All of the new content can be disabled from within the hangar before starting a new game.

FTL on iPad

We’re also very excited to announce that FTL is coming to the iPad! We’ve redesigned the FTL interface to be optimal for touch devices. It plays beautifully on both the full size iPads (2nd generation or later) and the iPad minis. And of course it will include all of the new additions of the FTL: Advanced Edition expansion.

But many of you might be asking “What about Android (or Surface, etc.)!?” For now, the answer is that we hope to get it on all tablet devices but do not know for sure. When we first released FTL, we did so on three operating systems simultaneously and it was a gargantuan task for a two man studio to accomplish. Learning from the difficulties of the past, we’re trying to preserve our sanity by focusing on one system at a time. Expanding tablet support will be our next highest priority, but we don’t want to make any promises (or rejections) until we’re 100% sure of the outcome.

Similarly, some people might be asking “What about phones!?” Unfortunately, FTL will not be coming to phones. From repeated testing, we have determined that it’s just not possible to achieve the quality of gameplay we want on such limited screen space.

When?

We plan to simultaneously make the iPad version available for purchase and update the existing PC game early 2014!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

OH FUCK YES

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Will the iPad version be iPhone compatible as well?

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, Yes, YES!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie

Been waiting for this since it came out. Seemed like just the type of game that would get this kind of update, shame we have to wait till 2014 for it :(

I really hope they have tried to balance the game a lot more. After a while (a fair few hours to be fair) you realised that you need fairly specific gear to do really well.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Animasta

chris avellone gets around. I can't wait until he's writing for Japanese RPG's at this point

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Awesome.

@nasar7 said:

Will the iPad version be iPhone compatible as well?

They say no, which is unfortunate. It's tough though, I'm sure the interface and control just wouldn't be possible on that small screen. It just makes so much sense though as a mobile game.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Perfect.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Still not on the Vita, eh?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Took them long enough, new scenarios sound good. But I'd rather have a new campaign.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOOO. Super excited for this. I still play FTL regularly, and it's still so hard on normal. Love it!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds good, I don't have an iPad, but I'm planning on getting a retina mini asap.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nasar7

@artisanbreads: yeah, I was hoping but it makes sense the controls would be a tight squeeze.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Def getting it on the Ipad.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

No word on Steam cloud, achievements, leaderboards or other stuff like that? Cloud saves would be great.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

There better be more events. I found FTL to be disappointing, given that a lot of things seemed to repeat often. Also, I hope there are more viable ways to win.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had me at Avellone.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh FTL. You are so fucking awesome.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Nux

God damn it, now it's going to get harder...I can't wait!

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will the weapon descriptions for beam weapons be fixed, or will beam weapons be changed to match their descriptions? Or more likely will that just be ignored?

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Any chance of a lower difficulty level so that we can have fun with all the systems and explore more of the galaxy in one playthrough?

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EFF TEE ELL !!! NOW !~!!

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BisonHero

@fakekisser said:

Any chance of a lower difficulty level so that we can have fun with all the systems and explore more of the galaxy in one playthrough?

I know this thread is old, but c'mon, Easy is significantly more generous with resources than Normal.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is officially out now. I've played the iPad version for about 4 hours. It's great. I was quite concerned about how the controls would work but they did an amazing job with them. The tablet is the perfect platform for this game.

Also, it seems like Easy has been toned down a little now that there is a Hard mode. The final boss also seemed easier though I still managed to lose because 3/4 of my ship lit on fire in the span of about 2 turns.

I have only seen two new pieces of content (one being a drone that is called the "Infiltrator" or something like that. It runs around the enemy ship and ion-blasts systems. The other being a clone machine that clones crew when they die so you don't lose them. They take a stat penalty but that still sounds really cool) but that is because I just turned on the Advanced Edition stuff (there's a toggle) because I wanted to get my sea legs with how the game played on iPad first.

So far it definitely is amazing.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IT'S HERE YOU GUYS IT'S HERE

aquacadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

its out, and it's great I'm in love again.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ben_H

The hard difficulty is messed up. I've made it at most through 2 sectors before dying. There's a new weapon that is a giant ion blast that shuts like half the system down. There's another that does what appears to launch a bunch of debris at you and can hit multiple areas. It's crazy.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eskimo

Yaay! I've been playing FTL on and off since it came out, so this is most welcome. Time to dust off the Torus and get back in there!

xite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xite

I got one of the new aliens as a crew member on my first run and they have a very interesting interaction with your ship!

Hacking seems insanely powerful too.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh good, it IS here, I'll pick this up.

That novel version of 999 came out too and it's pretty good.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I started a game with the new alien ship and I think hacking is pretty awesome. I'm also really interested to see what the C variants on all the old ships are going to be. I'm personally hoping for a variation of the Stealth Cruiser that isn't complete garbage, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Tennmuerti

It's out already? shiiiit

There is a hard difficulty? shiiiiit

Do they unlock all the previous ships, or do i have to reunlock all of that stuff again since i don't have my save anymore?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They jacked up the price of teleporters >:( Good thing I always go Mantis cruiser.

superflyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice. This should be good. Must get back to FTL actually..

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing a bunch over the past couple days. That game is still awesome. In the process of unlocking all the type C ships. I've really enjoyed messing around with the hacking and mind control systems and new weapons like the flak cannon are pretty interesting. If you havent bought FTL, its still only 10 dollars. Buy it, it might just be the most fun you're going to have with any downloadable game...

Also... The music that was added for advanced edition is pretty incredible.

Loading Video...
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@tennmuerti: It's easier to unlock the ships (or at least the layouts) now.

contrapulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By contrapulator

I liked FTL before, and with the new content I absolutely love it. Also, I just found this guy:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.