This was apparently a "massive failure" according to the devs

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie  Staff

We streamed FMF a couple of times and it never really clicked for me, at least not in the way that Rogue Legacy did. It looks like I wasn't the only one feeling that way, as the Cellar Door people did an interview with Destructoid recently in which they basically say the game was a big flop. It's an interesting read!

I think NieR: Automata best explains the differences. After you beat Nier, a system message from Square pops up saying. The game is not over, please keep playing. It's straight up explicit.

We hid that stuff in marketing, we alluded in the game, and it just bit us in the butt. I think we wanted to do something too different with the assumption that when the game came out, people would give it a full once-over. But honestly, with the amount of big-name games like Monster Hunter World coming out in January, nobody has the time. We sat on this stuff for two years, so it was a mistake we kept on making. But once again, this is all supposition, and we've been living in our heads for these past few days.

On my end, I'm not sure that what they're describing really would've mattered to me; I disliked the core gameplay enough to not make me want to plow ahead with the game anyway. And the inability to play by yourself effectively really made it tough for me to set aside time for it.

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 34

I'm really surprised a quick look of this game wasn't made either way, considering how much love Rogue Legacy got on here anyway.

I read that article the other day and immediately bought it and I've been enjoying my time with it. I've only played it by myself, but swapping between characters seems a fine enough way to play for me. I think it's a pretty good take on the classic arcade beat em up. Usually I find these sorts of games to be incredibly boring these days, but I think the progression really helped mitigate it quite a bit. That and all 4 characters play differently enough to the point where I'm constantly flipping between party members. I think the engineer might be my favorite as dumping clips into fools is fun and she seems the most mobile with a low cooldown on her roll move. Though it's kind of a catch-22 since you'll want to level all your characters up, but don't really have the means invest in all of them, but they thought about that even to an extent by offering discounts that help your lower leveled characters level up for cheaper. I wouldn't say it's an amazing game or anything, but I think it's pretty good. My only real gripe is that the humor is a bit overly memey.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just avoided this based on misreading the name every time I see it.

Avatar image for prince_of_space
Prince_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cop RPG formerly titled "No Truce With the Furies" changed its title to "Disco Elysium" recently. Coincidence, or are classical references lost upon the general gamer audience?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 rorie  Staff

@prince_of_space: Isn't Elysium itself a classical reference? Or am I misremembering?

Avatar image for prince_of_space
Prince_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie Oh, it definitely is, I was just joking around that people would misread "furies" as "furries".

ExK4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just absolutely haven't seen any enthusiasm for Full Metal Furies around the internet at all.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t wish any ill on any game developers, but I can’t say I’m surprised. I bought it just because I loved Rogue Legacy. As a single player game it is pretty miserable, so already it cuts a potential audience.

The game is also not immediately great to play, unlike Rogue Legacy or the closest similar game, Castle Crashers. It doesn’t feel impactful and demands a certain level of coordination with the other players to get stuff done in a satisfying way. This already a big ask, and not one I feel the game has the depth necessary to make worthwile.

The game has some nice ideas but nothing that redeems it. I found it to be pretty bland overall and I wouldn’t recommend it. I still wish Cellar Door can manage and develop another game that turns out to be a success. They’re obviously talented, I just felt this game was a particular missfire and I don’t think it’s because they didn’t communicate how the game gets deeper later on, it’s just not that fun to play. I hope they get to work on something that feels great from the get go and then add layers of systems after that.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fear_the_booboo: I came in here to say almost exactly what you did. I was SO excited for this based on the pedigree and the look and idea, and it's just an utter slog (particularly early on). Getting someone else to play with you helps, but it doesn't help much because that person was also kind of bored so we both just wanted to move on to something else before the game ever really started going (I eventually pushed through and like some of what they do with it, but it's not worth the work to get there). Incredible bummer.

Also, the humor is not good (or at least, it didn't hit with me). Which is fine, but there are a LOT of attempts at it and when you aren't enjoying the rest of what you're doing, it's just kind of a rotten cherry on top.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Francium34

The commercial flop part isn't that surprising -- the indie space is so crowded, most follow-up games to "surprise hits" won't do as well.

My biggest surprise was how little the press even covered it. You'd think they could get in the door just by being the devs of rogue legacy. Prior to launch, there were no interviews, no buzz at preview events, and only 8 or so reviews on metacritic. Heck, even destructoid sat on this interview for a couple months??

I liked the game a lot in coop, and I do agree singleplayer is very annoying (To be completely fair, you never lose xp and gold gathered when you die, so you can keep trying to beat a boss and failures are still helping your progression. This is also not conveyed well in the game, but as I stared at the bars, they do keep going up.)

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Yeah, it's not a great game. Started it with two other friends expecting something like Castle Crashers. It's not a casual fun experience like that. It demands a lot of cooperation and the combat is just too skill based. The upgrades are very shallow as well. We got bored and played some Rocket League instead.

ToTheNines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie Oh, it definitely is, I was just joking around that people would misread "furies" as "furries".

Lol I just did that..

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikewhy: lol honestly i think that may have hurt the marketing a lot, it still reads that way in my head.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 35

It feels like - and this is a slight exaggeration, but not by much - they're shifting the blame away from the game's core concepts themselves and onto the player base for not "getting" it, which isn't a great internal or messaging philosophy to have. Your game wasn't for everybody. Own it, figure out why, and move on to something they would enjoy.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games that essentially require coop are just not going to be big with a lot of people. As an option on an otherwise single or multiplayer game, it’s great, but there are a fair amount of games that have come out recently (this, Sea of Thieves, A Way Out) that people like myself are simply never going to play because of the reliance on coop. I work all day in a social, collaborative environment. Games are where I go to get away from all that bullshit.

That said, Rogue Legacy is probably in my top ten games of the last decade and I wish the developers all the success in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.