Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fygar

Concept »

A fire breathing dragon that lives underground. One of the two enemy types from Dig-Dug.

Could you kill a Fygar in real life?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates

Poll Could you kill a Fygar in real life? (103 votes)

I think I could kill a Fygar 17%
    I think I have the physical tools to kill a Fygar but couldn't bear to do it. 25%
    I think I have the emotional makeup to kill a Fygar but I don't trust myself to do it physically 17%
    I couldn't kill a Fygar 26%
    I'm a liar and I want to say I've already killed a Fygar in real life. 14%

We all know that video games are fiction. And most video game characters are fictional (though there are exceptions, like Hillary Clinton from NBA Jam, who is real.) But what if, in your real life, you came face to face with the most terrifying foe in all of videogamedom, the Fygar? Could you kill it?

Now I'm not asking if you could kill a Fygar with your bare hands like if you were just walking down the street and it came up out of the earth (Fygar can pass through dirt unimpeded) and attacked you. Of course you couldn't in that situation, you'd either run or be burned alive. But if you were prepared for it, you knew it was coming, and you were armed with an inflating harpoon like Dig Doug, could you kill it then?

I think there are are two main considerations, which are physical capacity and emotional capacity.

The first is simple. Would you be able to operate the inflating harpoon (aiming, pumping up the Fygar if you hit it, etc...) well enough to kill the Fygar? That seems easy. I think that I could hit a Fygar with a harpoon (I'm a decent shot in general) and I think I could pump it full of air because I've inflated bike tires and rafts and stuff with no problem, and I don't think a Fygar would be different. Yeah you'd have to act fast before it breathed fire on you, but they give you plenty of warning and I don't think it would be too tough to strike first.

The second is more complicated. I think that it would be emotionally difficult to kill a Fygar. They may be an extremely dangerous enemy who has burned many a Dig Doug alive, but they are also human-sized and appear fiercely intelligent (they've outsmarted me many times!). Plus they have those big adorable eyes. After you had inflated the Fygar a couple pumps and he was big and round and bursting with air, pleading with you for help from those large googly eyes, would you have the drive and discipline to finish him off by popping him?

Could you actually kill a Fygar after it was mostly inflated and posed no threat?

My whole life I've thought that if I ever met a Fygar in real life I would kill it as quickly and callously as Dig Doug does, and in a way that's been part of my core identity, but now, as I get older, I think I might not be able to kill a Fygar. I might just pump it up until it posed no threat and let the authorities handle it. Put it in a zoo or something. I don't know. I just feel like killing a Fygar would, in a way, be killing a part of myself, and I don't think it would be worth it.

• 
    Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

It'll take me awhile to fygar out an answer, will get back to you

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Who is the real monster?

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It'll take me awhile to fygar out an answer, will get back to you

Hm.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would slay it and consume it's flesh. Any other useful parts would be used to create items to aid me in my struggle in the grim post apocalypse of the dig dug universe. I would use it'a bladder as a skin to carry water, or perhaps some kind of mulled wine.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine being able to kill anything bigger than a spider, unless it was literally kill-or-be-killed.

However if they taste good I'd support raising & slaughtering Fygars for their meat, as long as I don't have to kill them myself. Which is obviously hypocritical but it is the truth. Would be nice if there were a more humane way than filling them with air or dropping boulders on them.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be an option for "What the fuck is a Fygar?"

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how effective throwing rocks at it is.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By LackingSaint

How big is a Fygar really? I know it's tempting to say human-sized because of Dug, but who's to say Dug is human-sized?

And yeah, I'd just dig up and over him and then dig out a rock so it drops on him.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Maybe I could but I don't think I should. All I'd want to do is chase those dragons all day.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's a fire-breathing dragon.

I have red hair but I don't think that'll scare him.

But maybe?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

This is the best question.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiders and wasps are hard enough already. Also inflating something to death would be extremely traumatizing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.