Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gabe Newell

Person » credited in 27 games

Co-Founder of Valve Corporation, Gabe Newell is responsible for the Half-Life franchise.

Gabe Newells new Idea?

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Ferginator4k

So I'm an Australian Gamer and i watch a show called Good Game, and the other night they had an exclusive interview with Gabe Newell in which he talked about his new idea for Steam Involving Community Funding.
    The Interview and Show can be watched here-http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/

Please Post your Comments.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By nicolenomicon

I would happily contribute money to Valve for a product. It would make me feel fuzzy inside with the knowledge that I'm helping bring joy to gamers everywhere.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

As far as I'm concerned, buying their products is funding their next game.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Awww, out of Pizza money are we Gabe.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Karmum

If I'm funding their game, I better get the game for free, no?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scooper
    @PureRok said:
    " As far as I'm concerned, buying their products is funding their next game. "
    Exactaly.
    phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By phlegms

Gabe Newell is just looking for money to fuel his sordid and raunchy "research" trips to Vietnam.

And also money for pizza..

callik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By callik
    @PureRok said:
    " As far as I'm concerned, buying their products is funding their next game. "
    This.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cspiffo

This just in.  Gabe newll invents the stock market.  Film at eleven.

Seriously though.  If I were investing in a game, I'd want to know what I'd be getting for my investment.  Is is just the game? A portion of the profit?  A vote in how the company is run?  What on earth would I be getting for my money.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Ferginator4k

I find the idea intriging and would perhaps be intrested depending on the price.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE

Maybe he should think about, you know, making Valve a public company traded on the stock exchange? Sometimes I seriously wonder how some of these people honestly have enough brains to create all these awesome games.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @cspiffo said:
    " This just in.  Gabe newll invents the stock market.  Film at eleven. Seriously though.  If I were investing in a game, I'd want to know what I'd be getting for my investment.  Is is just the game? A portion of the profit?  A vote in how the company is run?  What on earth would I be getting for my money. "
    You get a percentage of profits, I think that's what he said during the GoodGame interview. But why all the hate to this idea? Funding them this money will make the games better as it gives them less constraints money wise. So you get money back for your investment and a better game than if nobody invested.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cspiffo
    @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    " This just in.  Gabe newll invents the stock market.  Film at eleven. Seriously though.  If I were investing in a game, I'd want to know what I'd be getting for my investment.  Is is just the game? A portion of the profit?  A vote in how the company is run?  What on earth would I be getting for my money. "
    You get a percentage of profits, I think that's what he said during the GoodGame interview. But why all the hate to this idea? Funding them this money will make the games better as it gives them less constraints money wise. So you get money back for your investment and a better game than if nobody invested. "
    Oh, I'm not hating.  I just want to know more about it.  more skeptically curious than hateful.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin
    @RsistncE said:
    " Maybe he should think about, you know, making Valve a public company traded on the stock exchange?"
    So they can answer to stockholders?  I think that's a much worse idea.  Besides, if you watch the interview (not trying to be condescending I just don't know if you did or not) it didn't seem like he was talking about Valve specifically, but building the tools for developers in general to be able to do this over Steam. 
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CowMuffins

A game called Interstellar Marines already uses this method. You can contribute $40 and get all three games in the series or $25 and get the first game in the series (if they ever come out). You also get beta access and a little icon next to your name on the forums saying that you helped the cause.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @cspiffo said:
    " @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    You get a percentage of profits, I think that's what he said during the GoodGame interview. But why all the hate to this idea? Funding them this money will make the games better as it gives them less constraints money wise. So you get money back for your investment and a better game than if nobody invested. "
    Oh, I'm not hating.  I just want to know more about it.  more skeptically curious than hateful. "
    I wasn't just talking about you. But I guess it is a good idea to be sceptical.

@CowMuffins said:
    " A game called Interstellar Marines already uses this method. You can contribute $40 and get all three games in the series or $25 and get the first game in the series (if they ever come out). You also get beta access and a little icon next to your name on the forums saying that you helped the cause. "
    That is kind of different as you're more or less donating/pre-ordering the game. What Gabe is suggesting is that we invest and get a return from our investment. This does not necessarily mean you are buying the game.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CowMuffins
    @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    " @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    Oh, I'm not hating.  I just want to know more about it.  more skeptically curious than hateful. "

@CowMuffins said:
    " A game called Interstellar Marines already uses this method. You can contribute $40 and get all three games in the series or $25 and get the first game in the series (if they ever come out). You also get beta access and a little icon next to your name on the forums saying that you helped the cause. "
    This is kind of different as you're more or less donating/pre-ordering the game. What Gabe is suggesting is that we invest and get a return from our investment. This does not necessarily mean you are buying the game. "
    No, it's what Gabe is talking about. You get a free copy of the game when it comes out, if you invest in it by donating.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

I'm not sure I completely understand this whole business still... but doesn't this just mean that the danger in developing a game and possibly not seeing a monetary return if it can't turn a profit is just passed on to anyone else who might be buying into the game? It seems literally like a miniature stock market, and this stock market would have the very same pitfalls. Would I feel safe giving a developer money when I have no idea if the game is going to be good, or if it is going to sell? What if no one else contributes, and they can't make the game? What if something happens during development and the game never comes out? Think of a Duke Nukem Forever scenario. There seems to be too many "if"s and way too much blind trust involved, and those are the recipes for being ripped off.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond

Only way this would be a valid business model is if they give you a portion of the games profits as any investment, and they give you some choice in what game is actually made, and other design decisions (a poll for invested gamers?)

Otherwise it's absolute milking BS.  We already pay for the games, we shouldn't pay for investing in games that might be crap or never even come out.

edit - If the game doesn't come out, I should be able to sue Valve for all the money I invested.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @CowMuffins said:
    " @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    " @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @cspiffo said:

@CowMuffins said:
    This is kind of different as you're more or less donating/pre-ordering the game. What Gabe is suggesting is that we invest and get a return from our investment. This does not necessarily mean you are buying the game. "
    No, it's what Gabe is talking about. You get a free copy of the game when it comes out, if you invest in it by donating. "
    That's not what he said. He didn't mention anything about free copies of games. He said it would be like "Hey I'm interested in this game so I'll give you $30 to get it moving forward". And I'm pretty sure he mentioned returns in the interview as well.
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Invest - to put (money) to use, by purchase or expenditure, in something offering potential profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value.

I buy all their games, so I don't know what more support they can really expect from me. If people really wanted to invest in Valve, couldn't they just go buy Valve stock (is it publicly traded, or is Valve a private company?) instead of just giving them money?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.