Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gabe Newell

Person » credited in 27 games

Co-Founder of Valve Corporation, Gabe Newell is responsible for the Half-Life franchise.

Is Anybody Else...

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Akeldama

sick of this lazy bastard for trashing the PS3 just because he is to lazy to dev for it? 

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By sjschmidt93

Nope. Don't really care.  

Even though I don't own a 360 I wouldn't play any of Valve's games on my PS3 anyway... that's what the PC is for.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Akeldama
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Nope. Don't really care.   Even though I don't own a 360 I wouldn't play any of Valve's games on my PS3 anyway... that's what the PC is for. "
    while you are right in Valve games being ideal for the PC, there is no reason for gabe to be such a douche about something he is to lazy to develop (properly) for.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By End_Boss
    @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Nope. Don't really care.   Even though I don't own a 360 I wouldn't play any of Valve's games on my PS3 anyway... that's what the PC is for. "
    while you are right in Valve games being ideal for the PC, there is no reason for gabe to be such a douche about something he is to lazy to develop (properly) for. "
    I know I probably shouldn't walk into obvious flamebait like this... But why should a developer work harder to make games for a console that was deliberately made difficult to develop for?
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akeldama
    @End_Boss said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    while you are right in Valve games being ideal for the PC, there is no reason for gabe to be such a douche about something he is to lazy to develop (properly) for. "
    I know I probably shouldn't walk into obvious flamebait like this... But why should a developer work harder to make games for a console that was deliberately made difficult to develop for? "
    because thats what devs do. Every other dev team welcomed the PS3 as a challenge and they have all discovered that (granted) the more complex nature of the development pays off in the long run. 
    Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vecta
    @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    Wait, so you hate him for answering questions from interviewers, forums and in response to petitions honestly? If people stopped asking him if they were developing games for the PS3 you would stop hearing about how "Gabe Hates the PS3, Doesn't Develop Left for Dead 3". He doesn't go out of his way to be douche, he just answers questions given to him without sugar coating them.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Akeldama
    @Vecta said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    Wait, so you hate him for answering questions from interviewers, forums and in response to petitions honestly? If people stopped asking him if they were developing games for the PS3 you would stop hearing about how "Gabe Hates the PS3, Doesn't Develop Left for Dead 3". He doesn't go out of his way to be douche, he just answers questions given to him without sugar coating them. "
    its not the answers hes giving. I respect him for being as honest as he is, but the reasons behind the answers are just straight up horse shit. I think hes on MS payroll bigtime.
    Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vecta
    @Akeldama said:
    " @Vecta said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    Wait, so you hate him for answering questions from interviewers, forums and in response to petitions honestly? If people stopped asking him if they were developing games for the PS3 you would stop hearing about how "Gabe Hates the PS3, Doesn't Develop Left for Dead 3". He doesn't go out of his way to be douche, he just answers questions given to him without sugar coating them. "
    its not the answers hes giving. I respect him for being as honest as he is, but the reasons behind the answers are just straight up horse shit. I think hes on MS payroll bigtime. "
    No they are not... Valve has been programming and designing its games for the past 12 years on PC architecture, which Involves a Single core or duel core CPU, which are individually fast, and a single GPU. Why would they want to spend the time programming for an 8 Core CPU, which the PS3 has, when all their programming knowledge is PC architecture. The Xbox 360 Has PC architecture, 3 CPU cores, making it simple for them to port a game to from the PC. 

They are a PC Developer and they portion of a small team to port their games to the 360, if they made a game for the PS3 not only would they need a larger porting team, but they would also have to fund and spend the time learning the architecture.

They don't see it as a reasonable avenue considering they put most of their resources behind their PC ventures.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akeldama
    @Vecta said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @Vecta said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    its not the answers hes giving. I respect him for being as honest as he is, but the reasons behind the answers are just straight up horse shit. I think hes on MS payroll bigtime. "
    No they are not... Valve has been programming and designing its games for the past 12 years on PC architecture, which Involves a Single core or duel core CPU, which are individually fast, and a single GPU. Why would they want to spend the time programming for an 8 Core CPU, which the PS3 has, when all their programming knowledge is PC architecture. The Xbox 360 Has PC architecture, 3 CPU cores, making it simple for them to port a game to from the PC.   They are a PC Developer and they portion of a small team to port their games to the 360, if they made a game for the PS3 not only would they need a larger porting team, but they would also have to fund and spend the time learning the architecture.  They don't see it as a reasonable avenue considering they put most of their resources behind their PC ventures. "
    so that allows gabe to be a dick about it?
    Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vecta
    @Akeldama said:

" @Vecta said:

" @Akeldama said:
    " @Vecta said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    No they are not... Valve has been programming and designing its games for the past 12 years on PC architecture, which Involves a Single core or duel core CPU, which are individually fast, and a single GPU. Why would they want to spend the time programming for an 8 Core CPU, which the PS3 has, when all their programming knowledge is PC architecture. The Xbox 360 Has PC architecture, 3 CPU cores, making it simple for them to port a game to from the PC.   They are a PC Developer and they portion of a small team to port their games to the 360, if they made a game for the PS3 not only would they need a larger porting team, but they would also have to fund and spend the time learning the architecture.  They don't see it as a reasonable avenue considering they put most of their resources behind their PC ventures. "
    so that allows gabe to be a dick about it? "
    LOL WHAT, did you not just say he was being a dick because you thought the reasons he gave for not developing on a PS3 are "horseshit"?  Did I not just try to explain those reasons?

its not the answers hes giving. I respect him for being as honest as he is 

See you even say the answers are not exactly dicky, but apparently a developer that is finding success in developing games for PC architecture and not wanting to spend its time trying to develop for a system that is foreign to them is pretty stupid.

I have this feeling it might be easier to convince a brick wall then you.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Akeldama
    @Vecta said:
    " @Akeldama said:

" @Vecta said:

" @Akeldama said:
    " @Vecta said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    so that allows gabe to be a dick about it? "
    LOL WHAT, did you not just say he was being a dick because you thought the reasons he gave for not developing on a PS3 are "horseshit"?  Did I not just try to explain those reasons?

its not the answers hes giving. I respect him for being as honest as he is 

See you even say the answers are not exactly dicky, but apparently a developer that is finding success in developing games for PC architecture and not wanting to spend its time trying to develop for a system that is foreign to them is pretty stupid.

I have this feeling it might be easier to convince a brick wall then you.

"
    i understand he has found success on PCs and consoles like PCs but my question is, why does he have to be so agressively douchy about the PS3?
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By PureRok

*sigh*

Obvious troll attempt.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By RsistncE

Sad.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai
    @Vecta:  
    Actually the Xenon is more in common with the cell architecture and the old first generation Mac G5 chipsets then with the PC. The Xenon is in actuality and older modified version of the cell's PPE. IBM design them both the Cell and the Xenon.  Even though the Xenos and the Cell are from the same company the Xenon only has the 940 or 970 core but the architecture is not the same ...plus the FPU AkA altevec is not the same either ...the pipes are narrower and the buss speed is limited to serial transactions between FPU'S. The Xenos is still an SOC but not quite the cell. 

EDIT: I just checked and the Xenon is a 970 core.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By demonbear
    @End_Boss said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    I know I probably shouldn't walk into obvious flamebait like this... But why should a developer work harder to make games for a console that was deliberately made difficult to develop for? "
    I don't see EA complaining.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Gabe can go f**k himself for all i care.... 

except when it comes to Portal...i love that game.
    tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By tovan

No, it's a business decision, he doesn't have it out for the PS3, it just wouldn't be a wise investment for Valve themselves. Hell, he outright apologized to PS3 owners.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422
    @Akeldama said:
    " sick of this lazy bastard for trashing the PS3 just because he is to lazy to dev for it?  "
    I like how you bring this up about 3 years late. Its been forever ago since he first ever said that. As stated above, Valve doesn't need to develop for the PS3 at all. Really, they're fine without it.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Akeldama: >Lazy bastard 
    Dude, you're an idiot.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

I can see his point of view, but I also agree he is a total douche about it too. I fail to see how Valve can be considered the "almighty" development house they are proclaimed as, when they fail to even consider alternative challenges.

I appreciate his company have found success on the PC, and I can understand his reasoning not wanting to spend his money on developing for Playstation 3. The fact the dude won't even, in the very least, consider it strikes me as someone going "Nope, too hard, can't be arsed." Surely not the mentality of a studio who are considered to be one of the "very best".

I guess at the very least I appreciate his honesty.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By crusader8463

If it was up to him there would never have been any valve games on the PS3. The only reason ps3 got the orange box was because EA went ahead of them and ported it without getting consent from them in the first place. He has openly said they didn't have the people who knew the ps3 hardware and didn't have anyway in house to support it post release. Just be glad EA is the money mongering company that they are or you wouldn't have gotten even that.

Besides that valve is a PC company, one of the few left sadly, and the only reason they got into 360 I'm sure is because of the similar architect of the two. Its nice to finaly see someone just say look we don't have the people to make games for system X, and it wouldn't be worth our time and money to hire people to make games for it because of how little we would get back. These guys are a company and at the end of the day they need to make money to stay afloat. If it was as easy as hiring 1 guy to do ports for the PS3 they would, but it isn't and they arnt going to invest millions of dollars just to get half of that back. Now if/when the ps3 sells tens of millions of units and gets a big enough base that they feel they could actually get a return of investment in it then they will release their games for it. Anyone who says differently is just fanboying/trolling or making up reasons to hate a successful company, It's sad and it  just makes you look immature and whiny.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Developers should have figured out the PS3's coding by now and most have, there is no excuse to not develop for it. 
    New technology can only stay new for so long until everyone gets the hang of it and is easy as the rest to code for, look at Killzone 2, MGS4, Uncharted, Infamous, Dead Space, Little Big Planet, even Burnout Paradise and GTA 4, they all look great.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SamStrife

The guy obviously has some valid reasons for not developing for the PS3, but he's comes across as such a dick when talking about it, I just want to punch him in his fat face.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Damian

I don't think it's fair to pick on devs for not developing games for a particular console. You can think his excuses are lame if you want, but Valve owes nothing to PS3 owners more than the apology they've already given for the OB, which appears to be EA's fault in the first place.

Of course it'd be nice to get Valve games on the PS3 as well. But what can ya do? It's their call to make. Their loss to take. 

I've been exclusively a Mac owner for about a decade now. That was my choice. A lot of games can but do not come out for that platform. I don't blame the devs for that. I'm sure they would if they felt it'd be worth the investment. And if I wanted to play those games, I guess I'd have to get myself a PC.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SamStrife
    @Damian said:
    "I don't think it's fair to pick on devs for not developing games for a particular console. You can think his excuses are lame if you want, but Valve owes nothing to PS3 owners more than the apology they've already given for the OB, which appears to be EA's fault in the first place.Of course it'd be nice to get Valve games on the PS3 as well. But what can ya do? It's their call to make. Their loss to take.  I've been exclusively a Mac owner for about a decade now. That was my choice. A lot of games can but do not come out for that platform. I don't blame the devs for that. I'm sure they would if they felt it'd be worth the investment. And if I wanted to play those games, I guess I'd have to get myself a PC. "

Yeah, but the Devs don't act like a total dick about Macs.  It wouldn't bother me at all if he didn't come across as cocky and arrogant whenever he talked about the subject.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Akeldama
    @pause422 said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " sick of this lazy bastard for trashing the PS3 just because he is to lazy to dev for it?  "
    I like how you bring this up about 3 years late. Its been forever ago since he first ever said that. As stated above, Valve doesn't need to develop for the PS3 at all. Really, they're fine without it. "
    actually he was interviewed on GT tv and he did it once again. That was not 3 years ago.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sjschmidt93

I wouldn't call Valve's lack of PS3 development "lazy", more so "good buisness decision." 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
    @Akeldama said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    I like how you bring this up about 3 years late. Its been forever ago since he first ever said that. As stated above, Valve doesn't need to develop for the PS3 at all. Really, they're fine without it. "
    actually he was interviewed on GT tv and he did it once again. That was not 3 years ago. "
    That's because somebody asked the question, he didn't just bring it up out of the blue. Stop leaving out information.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sjschmidt93

Here's a question Akeldama, do you consider Valve not releasing consistent updates (TF2)  to the 360 and releasing them for the PC "douchy"? What about it being free on the PC and it not being free on the 360? And did the Portal update come to the 360? I can't remember...

The PS3 isn't the only console that gets robbed out of content from Valve.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Akeldama
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Here's a question Akeldama, do you consider Valve not releasing consistent updates to the 360 and releasing them for the PC "douchy"? What about it being free on the PC and it not being free on the 360? And did the Portal update come to the 360? I can't remember...  The PS3 isn't the only console that gets robbed out of content from Valve. "
    yes but they also dont have an outspoken dev constantly bashing the console. As Bucketdeth said, new tech is only new for a certain amount of time. There is no excuse not to dev for it.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Akeldama said:
    No. Because i bought the PC versions of Orange box and L4D.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Akeldama said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Here's a question Akeldama, do you consider Valve not releasing consistent updates to the 360 and releasing them for the PC "douchy"? What about it being free on the PC and it not being free on the 360? And did the Portal update come to the 360? I can't remember...  The PS3 isn't the only console that gets robbed out of content from Valve. "
    yes but they also dont have an outspoken dev constantly bashing the console. As Bucketdeth said, new tech is only new for a certain amount of time. There is no excuse not to dev for it. "
    That's because Gabe never gets asked "Why no 360 updates for TF2?" It's always "Why no PS3 Valve games?"
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CL60

Well usually whenever people try to make multiplatform games, they usually come out looking worse on the PS3. And orange box was pretty bad on the PS3, and gabe apologized for that. Why should he have to learn hardware that is extremely difficult and doesn't even give that much of a difference?

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bald3rdash
    @Akeldama: I'm guessing you never saw Gabe talking about getting his PS3 dev team together.  Now shutup.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Akeldama
    @Bald3rdash said:
    " @Akeldama: I'm guessing you never saw Gabe talking about getting his PS3 dev team together.  Now shutup. "
    well then i suppose the GT interview with Geoff Keighley was all a lie. He flat out said they are not doing anything to remedy the PS3 situation. Geoff asked him straight up and he said they were not doing shit.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CowMuffins

It wouldn't be profitable to learn how to develop for it. Why waste time with the PS3 when they can be making more games?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By mracoon
    @Akeldama said:
    " @Bald3rdash said:
    " @Akeldama: I'm guessing you never saw Gabe talking about getting his PS3 dev team together.  Now shutup. "
    well then i suppose the GT interview with Geoff Keighley was all a lie. He flat out said they are not doing anything to remedy the PS3 situation. Geoff asked him straight up and he said they were not doing shit. "
    Well you missed the part where he apologised (even though they didn't make the PS3 version of Orange Box, EA did). It doesn't make him lazy if he doesn't want to spend the time and resources on a system which probably won't be worth it for a company like Valve. Also he didn't criticise the PS3 because he couldn't be bothered to develop for it, he said it was badly designed and wasn't worth investing in for them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.