Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Galak-Z

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 2015

Galak-Z is a sci-fi roguelike space shooter inspired by anime of the 1970s and '80s.

What's the word on Variant-S (Switch version)?

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Just saw that a version of Galak-Z called "Variant-S" dropped on the Switch. Adoring the original on ps4 I got incredible excited, however upon opening the application it appears to be some kind of strange free to play version?
    My gut reaction was to feel pretty bummed out (a game I love and have been anticipating for the Switch - yay! in a weird re-fitted free to play version - buu!)

Anyhoot, before passing any real judgment I wanted to check if anyone around here has put some time into this version and if so, what did they think?

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I played the first 3 or 4 sectors. It's a very different thing - the flight model is still mostly there, but the missions (at least the ones I've played) are much shorter and totally linear. You either pilot the mech or fighter; you can't switch in the middle of a mission, and the missile/grapple abilities are tied to a meter that charges as you do damage. There are some loot box mechanics and ship customization, plus a mode where you assemble teams of bots, and challenge other players' bot teams online. At least in the early game, the F2P stuff didn't feel egregious; I was willing to overlook the differences because it was free, but I ended up not putting a lot of time into it because it ultimately felt shallow to me.

Oh, and the plot is a direct continuation of the story in Galak-Z: The Void? Weird choice, there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.