Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Boy Advance

Platform »

The third platform in the Game Boy line, the Game Boy Advance was offered in a multitude of colors and had three hardware offerings, the sideways Game Boy Advance, the flip Game Boy Advance SP and the tiny Game Boy Advance Micro.

Gameboy Micro Owners

BawaTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BawaTheGamer

I was thinking about getting a GB micro. I already have a gba sp+. A micro would be like another addition to my collection.I wanted to know which one to get. I was thinking about getting a full black one.

But Ive heard the famicom/20th anniversary edition is more valuable, so i guess il go with that one.

What i wanted to know is whether there is any difference between the famicom and 20th anniversary edition, as they both look the same.I wanted some clarification on this matter. How would i differentiate the two? I think i saw somewhere, a pic with some wording and a mario outline on the back of a famicom micro. Is it like that on all the famicom ones?

I'l be buying the micro from this local shop that i usually buy games/consoles from. However,the owner told me that maroon(red)+gold combo one isnt very popular because the gold parts get scratched easily in usage,making it quite ugly.Thus, its demand in his shop is way lower than other micro editions.But if i wanted one, said he could get it for me.Price would be the same. (61$ new.)

So have any of you famicom/20th anniv. micro owners experienced the gold paint getting scratched off?

If that is the case, i wouldnt mind getting the famicom/20th anniv. one as a collectors item and get a black one for more regular usage.

Any advice ,info or recommendations would be appreciated.

Ps- A question to all the collectors. Would the micro get spoiled if it is left unused? Im asking because in my gba sp booklet it mentions that the device should be recharged atleast once every 6 months or it goes bad,or something along those lines.     

Any recommended carry case or cover i should get?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You can still find those things? I always thought they looked really cool. Wasn't there an extra cool one modelled after the NES? That thing was so awesome. Sorry, man. I'm apparently not much help here.

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Just bought one at the used record store for 40 dollars. Best 40 dollars I've ever spent. Also, they have protective faceplates that can be swapped out easy. The screen is awesome and the size is awesomely convenient.
    TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TehBuLL

man....if i could find a gameboy micro for like...30$ i would be all over it.  otherwise, this thread is dead.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I've got the anniversary edition. It's still works fine. It's great if you still play a lot of GBA games, I prefer it over the SP because of the small screen size. It doesn't have a link cable slot, though. So yeah, if you play a lot of GBA games, I'd recommend it.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I just noticed that lack of a link cable slot yesterday and returned my second copy of Advance Wars.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have one Famicon Edition and one silver. 

@Captainlunchbox:

" I just noticed that lack of a link cable slot yesterday and returned my second copy of Advance Wars. "

There is a link cable slot, the power slot acts as it :) I play Street Fighter Alpha 3 on mine. There's also a wireless adaptor, as well as 2 player link cable and a 4 player link cable. I have all.    

GB Micro Link Cable  (buy another Micro)

No Caption Provided
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Discorsi

I've always wanted a GameBoy Micro for some reason. They're pretty sexy.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Discorsi said:
    " I've always wanted a GameBoy Micro for some reason. They're pretty sexy. "
    Me too. But I don't play handheld games much. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is the only portable game I ever play.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yeah the micro was awesome its little screen really was good.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @BawaTheGamer said:
    "  Ps- A question to all the collectors. Would the micro get spoiled if it is left unused? Im asking because in my gba sp booklet it mentions that the device should be recharged atleast once every 6 months or it goes bad,or something along those lines.      "
    I don't recall reading that, but I can tell you my experience: 

We lost our Micro and a Pokemon game that was in it.  That was well over a year ago.  Whilst cleaning up the spare room a few weeks ago, lo and behold, in a box was the Micro and game.  Turned it and it worked for hours before needing charging.  Contrast that to my PSPs and leave them for more than 2 weeks and it is dead as a dodo.  Nintendo batteries really seem to holds their charge and I have no idea why. 

It is probably wise to recharge them every 6 months, but I doubt it will kill it if you don't. 
    My 2 are Blue and Red.  I still think they are awesome.  The tiny screen does not impede my older vision at all.
    BawaTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BawaTheGamer
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I have one Famicon Edition and one silver. 

@Captainlunchbox:

" I just noticed that lack of a link cable slot yesterday and returned my second copy of Advance Wars. "

There is a link cable slot, the power slot acts as it :) I play Street Fighter Alpha 3 on mine. There's also a wireless adaptor, as well as 2 player link cable and a 4 player link cable. I have all.    

GB Micro Link Cable  (buy another Micro)

No Caption Provided
    "

Hey,

Is that a cover on your gba? I think i could use one of those. Does the facepaint scratch easily?

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Captainlunchbox

The faceplates are interchangable, so if one gets messed up, you can just swap it with antother one. I'm seeing a few on amazin.com If you look you can find some pretty sweet deals.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Skytylz

those play gba games?

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Fbomb

Nice bump, but at least this reminded me of my Micro. I should really dig mine out again one of these days.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Willy105

I've always wanted those, but the lack of BC with Game Boy and Game Boy Color and high price kinda lowered my excitement. Kinda like the non-launch versions of the PS3.

@Skytylz said:

" those play gba games? "

Yes, it's a GBA, but very very very tiny.
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @BawaTheGamer: I loove mine
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268
    @Willy105 said:
    " I've always wanted those, but the lack of BC with Game Boy and Game Boy Color and high price kinda lowered my excitement. Kinda like the non-launch versions of the PS3.

@Skytylz said:

Yes, it's a GBA, but very very very tiny. "
    They're less than $20 on ebay now. But the lack of BC is a bummer yeah :(
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Jack268 said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " I've always wanted those, but the lack of BC with Game Boy and Game Boy Color and high price kinda lowered my excitement. Kinda like the non-launch versions of the PS3.

@Skytylz said:

They're less than $20 on ebay now. But the lack of BC is a bummer yeah :( "
    That's not true at all. They go more for around $30-50 and more if they're new in box.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jack268
    @gla55jAw said:
    " @Jack268 said:
    " @Willy105 said:

@Skytylz said:

That's not true at all. They go more for around $30-50 and more if they're new in box. "
    I found 6 for less than $20 on the first page by searching gameboy micro. But I assume these guys may not be as credible as the ones selling at higher prices. Still, if they are that's a really good deal.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Jack268 said:
    " @gla55jAw said:
    " @Jack268 said:
    " @Willy105 said:

@Skytylz said:

That's not true at all. They go more for around $30-50 and more if they're new in box. "
    I found 6 for less than $20 on the first page by searching gameboy micro. But I assume these guys may not be as credible as the ones selling at higher prices. Still, if they are that's a really good deal. "
    Well you gotta go by ending soonest. The last few minutes they shoot up in price. Still around that is a great price. I picked one up a few months ago for $35 I think. Then I got a flash cart and now I have every GBA game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.