Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Dev Tycoon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 29, 2013

A Game development tycoon game developed by Greenheart Games.

What am I supposed to do?

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

So I just bought this game on a steam sale and I feel like I don't "get" it. I make my first game, it gets mediocre reviews and barely makes a return on investment. Because I still have no other options, I make a second game; that gets slightly worse reviews and doesn't make a return on investment. Within 5 games, I don't have enough money to innovate at all and I can't make a game that earns profit.

Am I missing a core mechanic? It's a little frustrating that this exact situation has repeated 4 or 5 times now.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's kinda hard at first, but yeah the core mechanic is learning how to match games with genres and get the balance right on all the sliders. It takes some experimentation, but there is logic to it.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@lackingsaint: The core mechanic you're missing is how review scores work. The game compares the games values to an invisible set of numbers to get the scores. These values for the game are based on the ratio and amount of the two stats for a certain game type. The part that brakes it is how the game gets these scores. The scores are based on your best game. So if you don't improve the for your next game, it will get a lower score. It means if you end up with a crazy blockbuster, it becomes very hard to make another one, because you need to significantly beat your old score. It seems to actually be better to do moderately well for most of the game till you unlock the research center. Otherwise you just go bankrupt. It's a really dumb system.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By white

@cronus42: Sounds like what happened to Uncharted and Call of Duty, really. Very realistic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.