Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

Game Room devs shut down!

• 64 results
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HereAllDay

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 
    Quote from story :  

Krome Studios, the Australian developer behind Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and more recently the Xbox 360's Game Room, has shut down, online reports are suggesting.    

It now appears the remaining staff at Krome's Brisbane and Melbourne offices have been let go, with both studios to then close their doors first thing Monday morning. A handful of developers will then reportedly be re-hired as contractors to complete Krome's remaining projects.
       Let's hope they get someone else, hopefully more capable to run gameroom rather than just shutting it down and we keep getting our quick looks. 

Link
    Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I really don't think the developers were the reason Game Room sucked.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fuck

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

=(

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

Call Jeff, stat!

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MrRedwine

You know what?  Game room is a colossal disappointment.  My personal feeling is that Jeff should be spending that same $12 - $21 on indie games on the 360 each week and be showing some more of them.  There is some really interesting stuff happening there and I think it should be highlighted more.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zithe

Can't say I'm surprised with the ever slowing weekly releases. 7 per week down to 5 down to 4 down to 3 this week. I expected it, really.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam
    @MrRedwine said:

" You know what?  Game room is a colossal disappointment.  My personal feeling is that Jeff should be spending that same $12 - $21 on indie games on the 360 each week and be showing some more of them.  There is some really interesting stuff happening there and I think it should be highlighted more. "

I enjoyed Jeff's QLs of game room but the indie thing is a great idea. They already did two QL about indie games and it'd be great if they continued those.
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Avatar image for deactivated-663a3420c2da4
    deactivated-663a3420c2da4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sharma55 said:
    " Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 
    Quote from story :  

Krome Studios, the Australian developer behind Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and more recently the Xbox 360's Game Room, has shut down, online reports are suggesting.    

It now appears the remaining staff at Krome's Brisbane and Melbourne offices have been let go, with both studios to then close their doors first thing Monday morning. A handful of developers will then reportedly be re-hired as contractors to complete Krome's remaining projects.
       Let's hope they get someone else, hopefully more capable to run gameroom rather than just shutting it down and we keep getting our quick looks. 

Link "
    What the fuck is this supposed to mean? More capable? What exactly do you think the holdup on significant Gameroom content is or is the busted avatar bug a dealbreaker for you or something? Of all the dumb crap to spout this is pretty close to taking the cake.
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HereAllDay
    @MrRedwine said:

" You know what?  Game room is a colossal disappointment.  My personal feeling is that Jeff should be spending that same $12 - $21 on indie games on the 360 each week and be showing some more of them.  There is some really interesting stuff happening there and I think it should be highlighted more. "

Interesting idea but I want gameroom QLs aswell. BTW, why limit it to the 360? Steam's indie section has some great obscure goodies.
    GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By GoofyGoober

That sucks badly.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NekuCTR

You know what, good. not good that people are out of work but good that Jeff doesn't have to keep paying for crappy games. I mean seriously he's not going to stop until they shut down, and if this continues to go like it has been he'll be living in a cardboard box this time next year.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This is upsetting, but not unexpected. Oh well.  

The Indie Games thing is a good idea. 

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By asurastrike
    @MrRedwine said:
    But even the high profile Indie games aren't nearly as good as free flash games on your browser.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Krome are a pretty terrible developer, can't say I'm too upset about this.  

And as others have said, it doesn't mean Game Room is dead, perhaps someone more competent could take over and turn it around.  After all, Game Room was a good concept it was just handled very badly.  Didn't help that they started off with a selection of bad games and never really improved the choices..
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HereAllDay
    @McBradders said:

" @sharma55 said:

Quote from story :  

Link "
    What the fuck is this supposed to mean? More capable? What exactly do you think the holdup on significant Gameroom content is or is the busted avatar bug a dealbreaker for you or something? Of all the dumb crap to spout this is pretty close to taking the cake. "
    Krome are shit, someone better could maybe make a difference. You need to chill the fuck out and get that sand outta your vaggie.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By asurastrike
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Krome are a pretty terrible developer, can't say I'm too upset about this.  And as others have said, it doesn't mean Game Room is dead, perhaps someone more competent could take over and turn it around.  After all, Game Room was a good concept it was just handled very badly.  Didn't help that they started off with a selection of bad games and never really improved the choices.. "
    I don't think it was Krome's fault that Game Room turned out so terribly. Microsoft failed to work out any additional deals with publishers beyond the few which they launched with (Activision, Atari, and Konami..etc.)
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Insectecutor

Gameroom drama in this thread.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @sharma55 said: 

Krome Studios, the Australian developer behind Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

Fuck, I liked Ty. :(
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By CaptainObvious

Maybe they are pulling a GoG and will come back a week later with Dreamcast games?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By asurastrike
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " Maybe they are pulling a GoG and will come back a week later with Dreamcast games? "
    So they'll release all 7 of the good DC games week 1 and then the releases will taper off? :P
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @MrRedwine said:
    But even the high profile Indie games aren't nearly as good as free flash games on your browser. "
    That's a pretty shitty thing to say, dude. What about Machinarium? AudioSurf? PB Winterbottom? I'm blanking on a lot more indie games (because it's 5AM), but there are plenty of high-quality games even when compared to AAA releases, and especially when compared to 2600 games.
    RaoulDo0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RaoulDo0k
    @Dork_Metamorphosis said:
    " I really don't think the developers were the reason Game Room sucked. "
    I can't say that I disagree here. I never did understand why the world seemed to be over the moon for this when it was announced.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By asurastrike
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @MrRedwine said:
    But even the high profile Indie games aren't nearly as good as free flash games on your browser. "
    That's a pretty shitty thing to say, dude. What about Machinarium? AudioSurf? PB Winterbottom? I'm blanking on a lot more indie games (because it's 5AM), but there are plenty of high-quality games even when compared to AAA releases, and especially when compared to 2600 games. "
    Oh, I thought you meant the "Xbox Live Indies". I agree there are a bunch of awesome Indie games out there, but man that Xbox Live Indies tab is just full of awful games.
    StartAndPause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StartAndPause

About time I'd say.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ImBigInJapan

I don't really know how much Krome could be blamed for the failure of Gameroom as a product. The blame for utter lack of available licensing has to be put in part on Microsoft. One could argue that the front end could have been more capable as a lot of the promised features never materialized, but it's hard to justify budgeting development time for new front end features when the severe lack of quality content limited the amount of potential income. 
    Either way it's a bummer that more people are losing their jobs. It's the last thing the global economy needs.

Avatar image for deactivated-663a3420c2da4
    deactivated-663a3420c2da4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharma55 said:
    " @McBradders said:

" @sharma55 said:

Quote from story :  

Link "
    What the fuck is this supposed to mean? More capable? What exactly do you think the holdup on significant Gameroom content is or is the busted avatar bug a dealbreaker for you or something? Of all the dumb crap to spout this is pretty close to taking the cake. "
    Krome are shit, someone better could maybe make a difference. You need to chill the fuck out and get that sand outta your vaggie. "
    Way to avoid the question at hand and assume that your, quite frankly incorrect, opinion of the developer is what's to blame on Gameroom's shortcomings.
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RaoulDo0k said:
    " @Dork_Metamorphosis said:
    " I really don't think the developers were the reason Game Room sucked. "
    I can't say that I disagree here. I never did understand why the world seemed to be over the moon for this when it was announced. "
    I thought the idea sounded cool, but that's only because I grew up playing Atari games.  In practice, it turns out I don't want to pay 3 bucks for most of the games I spent my youth on.  They kind of blew.
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HereAllDay
    @McBradders said:
    " @sharma55 said:
    " @McBradders said:

" @sharma55 said:

Quote from story :  

Link "
    Krome are shit, someone better could maybe make a difference. You need to chill the fuck out and get that sand outta your vaggie. "
    Way to avoid the question at hand and assume that your, quite frankly incorrect, opinion of the developer is what's to blame on Gameroom's shortcomings. "
    Don't think opinions can be "incorrect" But I'm just saying I don't like their games and what they do & someone else could make a difference in some way.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Asurastrike said:

" @CH3BURASHKA said:

" @Asurastrike said:
    " @MrRedwine said:
    That's a pretty shitty thing to say, dude. What about Machinarium? AudioSurf? PB Winterbottom? I'm blanking on a lot more indie games (because it's 5AM), but there are plenty of high-quality games even when compared to AAA releases, and especially when compared to 2600 games. "
    Oh, I thought you meant the "Xbox Live Indies". I agree there are a bunch of awesome Indie games out there, but man that Xbox Live Indies tab is just full of awful games. "
    There are some gems out there on XBLIG. And even some of the bad ones often have some trash value and would probably make for great QLs. We made it evening entertainment to download a bunch of XBLIG demos and see how ridiculous and trashy those games are.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that the Game Room QL's should still continue.
    30 mins each week of Jeff staring at an empty arcade, occasionally making "pew, pew, pew" noises pretending that he was playing something that would have made it the success it first promised to be.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

But they made so much money with all those classics!!!
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#34  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Asurastrike said:
    " Oh, I thought you meant the "Xbox Live Indies". I agree there are a bunch of awesome Indie games out there, but man that Xbox Live Indies tab is just full of awful games. "
    There are so many bad games likely because it's so accessible. Anyone can make an XNA game, whether they're any good at it or not.
    It's actually very similar to the browser game situation it that regard. Almost all of them are crap; you've just never heard of 99% of them, whereas every crap XBL Indie Game clogs up the Marketplace reminding you how much they suck.
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HereAllDay
    @MuftyRiots said:
    " I think that the Game Room QL's should still continue. 30 mins each week of Jeff staring at an empty arcade, occasionally making "pew, pew, pew" noises pretending that he was playing something that would have made it the success it first promised to be. "
    That or he could go to a REAL arcade and play games.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#36  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Bloodgraiv3 said:
    " But they made so much money with all those classics!!! "
    I wonder how much of that Krome actually gets though. The actual games being sold are owned by Atari, Konami, Activision, and whoever owns the rights to Intellivision games, so they would surely get a good chunk of the profits.
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aetos
    @sharma55 said:
    " @MuftyRiots said:
    " I think that the Game Room QL's should still continue. 30 mins each week of Jeff staring at an empty arcade, occasionally making "pew, pew, pew" noises pretending that he was playing something that would have made it the success it first promised to be. "
    That or he could go to a REAL arcade and play games. "
    I vote this. But we need to build a time machine so he can visit arcades like they use to be.
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tactical_Kill said:
    " @sharma55 said:
    " @MuftyRiots said:
    I vote this. But we need to build a time machine so he can visit arcades like they use to be. "
    I don't know, it would be pretty funny if they just filmed him going to where his favorite arcades used to be and looking more and more depressed. 
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By Chris2KLee

And so Jeff is free at last....

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By TheBlackPigeon
    @Insectecutor: 
    Can't have Game Room without drama.

Anyway, I'll wait for Microsoft themselves to announce Game Room's closure before I start freaking out. For all I know, they'll either keep a couple of Krome's GR devs on as contractors, or perhaps they'll see if the folks at Backbone would like some steady work.
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bravetoaster
    @Insectecutor said:
    " Gameroom drama in this thread. "
    word
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Krome are a pretty terrible developer, can't say I'm too upset about this.  And as others have said, it doesn't mean Game Room is dead, perhaps someone more competent could take over and turn it around.  After all, Game Room was a good concept it was just handled very badly.  Didn't help that they started off with a selection of bad games and never really improved the choices.. "
    I don't think it was Krome's fault that Game Room turned out so terribly. Microsoft failed to work out any additional deals with publishers beyond the few which they launched with (Activision, Atari, and Konami..etc.) "

I do agree with that.  However, all of their other games I've played have been below average.
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HereAllDay
    " @Tactical_Kill said:
    " @sharma55 said:
    " @MuftyRiots said:
    I vote this. But we need to build a time machine so he can visit arcades like they use to be. "
    I don't know, it would be pretty funny if they just filmed him going to where his favorite arcades used to be and looking more and more depressed.  "
    Seems like we just need a video type where Jeff is miserable about something. 
    ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ImBigInJapan

" @Dork_Metamorphosis said:

" @Tactical_Kill said:
    " @sharma55 said:
    " @MuftyRiots said:
    I don't know, it would be pretty funny if they just filmed him going to where his favorite arcades used to be and looking more and more depressed.  "

All set to Simon and Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By skrutop

My first reaction was "no!" because we won't get any more Game Room quick looks.  On second though, I'm sort of getting tired of them.  I love hearing Jeff and Ryan/Brad bash on the crappy games, but they've run out of stuff to mock at this point.  It might be high time for them to move on.  Someone mentioned XLBA Indie Games earlier in the thread; I'd like to see them get Game Room's QL time.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeffsekai

Who cares.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" @Tactical_Kill said:
    " @sharma55 said:
    " @MuftyRiots said:
    This week on Game Room, Jeff curled up in ball crying in the middle of a Wal-Mart.
    Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Piranesi

If all you've got to use is Intellivision and 2600 games (+ a few Konami duds) then they did their best - things like the challenges, replays and histories add a bit more to just the usual nostalgia compilations. Just seems that they got shafted when MS saw the ROI didn't materialise.
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ImBigInJapan said:
    " " @Dork_Metamorphosis said:
    " @Tactical_Kill said:
    " @sharma55 said:
    " @MuftyRiots said:
     All set to Simon and Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence "
    I was thinking something like the intro to The Wonder Years, but with more pathos.
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50  Edited By Hector

I can't even load it up anymore!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.