Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GameCube

Platform »

The Nintendo GameCube is a sixth generation video game console released by Nintendo on September 15, 2001 in Japan, November 18, 2001 in North America, May 3, 2002 in Europe, and May 17, 2002 in Australia.

Best way to play GameCube games? GameCube or wii with component cables?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So I'm starting to dig up some old GameCube games and I'm wondering what is the best way to play them on a HDTV: on the original GameCube or on the wii with component cables? Not every GC game supports progressive scan, so I'm curious if games that do t will still play well over component on the wii. Obviously playing on a old CRT TV is preferable, but that's not really in the cards for me.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

Yeah, components for the GC are pricey. I played the GC version of Metroid Prime for the first time couple years ago on the Wii w/ components and it looked very nice.

On HDTVs, components will help a lot regardless of whether the game does progressive or not.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If you have a spare $200, then GC component cables. If not, then Wii with component will work just fine.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every GC game I ever played supported progressive on my Gamecube w/component cable except for the original Super Monkey Ball (launch title).

Even the ones that didn't say they supported it actually supported it except for that one.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only advantage I've ever seen for shelling out the $200ish dollars for Gamecube component cables is for the Game Boy Player. And even then most people will probably get more use out of a $150 Retron5/Retro Freak, and $50 for a Wii.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*cough* *cough* https://dolphin-emu.org/

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

You can get a HDMI adapter for the Wii which I've always found to work very well.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By ravensword

@liquiddragon: so even if the game isn't doing progressive it'll still look better running it through component than running a GameCube through composite on a HDTV?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@ravensword: yes, definitely. it won't be hard to tell the difference. try it for yourself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.