Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GameCube

Platform »

The Nintendo GameCube is a sixth generation video game console released by Nintendo on September 15, 2001 in Japan, November 18, 2001 in North America, May 3, 2002 in Europe, and May 17, 2002 in Australia.

I recall my GameCube days.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By MisterDunlap

The GameCube was the first proper console that I acquired as a child. I had gotten a GameBoy Advance when I was younger, but I only had a few games, and played it very rarely. My family had an old PC running on Windows 95, so for me, PC gaming was out of the question. One day, as I was sitting on the toilet, I decided I wanted a gaming console.  In this frame of mind, I finished my business, and presented the idea to my mother as she was cooking dinner, so that she was ill prepared to do away with the idea outright. I had planned out my entire speech, and I must say, it would've been hard for anyone to say "no" to it. She was skeptical, as was her wont, but she presented the idea to my father. I knew that if it had gotten that far, it was only a matter of time before I got my console.    

And so, for next five or six months, I dreamed of my console. I had planned out the games I was going to buy if I got an Xbox, likewise for the PlayStation 2. Even at the age of eight I was sure of what I wanted. Heck, I even knew what kind of controller and accessories I wanted. The only problem I could foresee was not having enough 
    money for any of this, but this seemed a minor issue at the time. Silly little eight year old me. Money is always an issue.  

Anyway, my birthday rolled around, and I was sure that this was when I was going to receive my console. Well, I was right. My birthday is several days before Christmas so all my gifts are set around our Christmas tree, and we usually celebrate it in the same fashion as Christmas proper. I rushed downstairs from my room, and pounced upon my parent's bed, thrashing around quite a bit. In hindsight, this seems a lot like those cheesy Christmas mornings on an ABC Christmas television program. Truly hideous.  

With my parents roused and gathered around the tree, I began to dig into my loot. I can easily recall the exact contents of that particular haul, but it's somewhat irrelevant, so I don't think I'll bother listing it all. Suffice it to say that it took a bit to reach the largest package of all, cleverly hidden behind the majority of the stash. Let it never be said my parents weren't clever. With growing excitement I snatched it up, and quickly removed (i.e. destroyed) the wrapping paper. I was...surprised. It was neither the Xbox, nor the PS2 I was expecting. It was a Nintendo GameCube that sat in front of me. I managed to hide my disappointment from my parents as they explained to me that they had chosen this instead of the more mainstream consoles due to the fact that there are too many more mature titles on the other consoles, and this was much more child friendly. My parents were very conscience of hurting my little mind with violence at the time. A foolish sentiment, but what can you do? 

I also received the games Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue, Tales of Symphonia, and Mario Kart: Double Dash. None of these were games that I heard of, and even if I had, they wouldn't have been high on my list for purchasing. I was once again surprised by how much I was to enjoy these games for the next few years. I was disappointed to be sure, but I was in too high of spirits to forgo at least trying it. After about 20 minutes of fiddling with the television and the cords, I managed to get it up and running. I put in Double Dash first, as it was multiplayer, and my father wanted to try it pretty badly. Luckily my parents had had the foresight to purchase a second controller, so two people could enjoy it at once as they put it.  

Much to my surprise, I had a lot of fun. I put in the other games after my father and I had finished the first couple races, and found those two to be to my liking as well. It wasn't long until I had beaten Both Ty2, and Symphonia. I finally managed to scrape together enough money to purchase even more games. Soon enough I had a good twenty or so GameCube games at my disposal. So all in all, the console that I thought would be the dullest thing ever, turned into my most prized possession for many years. So I guess the moral to this story is something along lines of don't judge a book by the cover. Or something like. I'm no philosopher. 

If you enjoyed this, and want more stories about my life, say so in the comments.
    Later peoples.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MisterDunlap

The GameCube was the first proper console that I acquired as a child. I had gotten a GameBoy Advance when I was younger, but I only had a few games, and played it very rarely. My family had an old PC running on Windows 95, so for me, PC gaming was out of the question. One day, as I was sitting on the toilet, I decided I wanted a gaming console.  In this frame of mind, I finished my business, and presented the idea to my mother as she was cooking dinner, so that she was ill prepared to do away with the idea outright. I had planned out my entire speech, and I must say, it would've been hard for anyone to say "no" to it. She was skeptical, as was her wont, but she presented the idea to my father. I knew that if it had gotten that far, it was only a matter of time before I got my console.    

And so, for next five or six months, I dreamed of my console. I had planned out the games I was going to buy if I got an Xbox, likewise for the PlayStation 2. Even at the age of eight I was sure of what I wanted. Heck, I even knew what kind of controller and accessories I wanted. The only problem I could foresee was not having enough 
    money for any of this, but this seemed a minor issue at the time. Silly little eight year old me. Money is always an issue.  

Anyway, my birthday rolled around, and I was sure that this was when I was going to receive my console. Well, I was right. My birthday is several days before Christmas so all my gifts are set around our Christmas tree, and we usually celebrate it in the same fashion as Christmas proper. I rushed downstairs from my room, and pounced upon my parent's bed, thrashing around quite a bit. In hindsight, this seems a lot like those cheesy Christmas mornings on an ABC Christmas television program. Truly hideous.  

With my parents roused and gathered around the tree, I began to dig into my loot. I can easily recall the exact contents of that particular haul, but it's somewhat irrelevant, so I don't think I'll bother listing it all. Suffice it to say that it took a bit to reach the largest package of all, cleverly hidden behind the majority of the stash. Let it never be said my parents weren't clever. With growing excitement I snatched it up, and quickly removed (i.e. destroyed) the wrapping paper. I was...surprised. It was neither the Xbox, nor the PS2 I was expecting. It was a Nintendo GameCube that sat in front of me. I managed to hide my disappointment from my parents as they explained to me that they had chosen this instead of the more mainstream consoles due to the fact that there are too many more mature titles on the other consoles, and this was much more child friendly. My parents were very conscience of hurting my little mind with violence at the time. A foolish sentiment, but what can you do? 

I also received the games Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue, Tales of Symphonia, and Mario Kart: Double Dash. None of these were games that I heard of, and even if I had, they wouldn't have been high on my list for purchasing. I was once again surprised by how much I was to enjoy these games for the next few years. I was disappointed to be sure, but I was in too high of spirits to forgo at least trying it. After about 20 minutes of fiddling with the television and the cords, I managed to get it up and running. I put in Double Dash first, as it was multiplayer, and my father wanted to try it pretty badly. Luckily my parents had had the foresight to purchase a second controller, so two people could enjoy it at once as they put it.  

Much to my surprise, I had a lot of fun. I put in the other games after my father and I had finished the first couple races, and found those two to be to my liking as well. It wasn't long until I had beaten Both Ty2, and Symphonia. I finally managed to scrape together enough money to purchase even more games. Soon enough I had a good twenty or so GameCube games at my disposal. So all in all, the console that I thought would be the dullest thing ever, turned into my most prized possession for many years. So I guess the moral to this story is something along lines of don't judge a book by the cover. Or something like. I'm no philosopher. 

If you enjoyed this, and want more stories about my life, say so in the comments.
    Later peoples.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MisterDunlap

I apologize on how messed up this blog's text is. I'm not good with this sort of thing. Just think nothing of it please.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Dood, Tales of Symphonia! What a great way to start your gamecube collection.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MisterDunlap
    @Abyssfull: No kidding! I still play through it at about the half way point every year. It's a beautiful game.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz

My parents bought me an N64, but then I had to buy an xbox when I was like 12 because they're some of those people that hate games.  It was pretty awesome, I remember hooking it up the first time on like a 12" tv and playing Quarterback Club 96, it wasn't great.  I got the N64 with donkey kong 64 and the extra ram though, so I got to play my first Rare platformer!  I think first consoles should always be Nintendo, it's just traditional and you can get a history lesson.  No way was i getting a lame PS1 lol.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Aus_azn

The GCN is the sole reason that I keep my Wii nowadays. I was so happy with it, unlike the PS2 that I had prior to it. While times change and I've owned every 7G console ever since (and am now back with a PS3), Nintendo always holds a special place in my gaming history. I just find it a pity that they demolished my interest with the Wii and its shovelware games. I've been reduced to only owning Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Brawl and Wii Sports.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MisterDunlap
    @Aus_azn: I agree completely. 
    smileybomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By smileybomber
    @Aus_azn said:

"The GCN is the sole reason that I keep my Wii nowadays. I was so happy with it, unlike the PS2 that I had prior to it. While times change and I've owned every 7G console ever since (and am now back with a PS3), Nintendo always holds a special place in my gaming history. I just find it a pity that they demolished my interest with the Wii and its shovelware games. I've been reduced to only owning Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Brawl and Wii Sports. "

I didn't like the PS2 either. The Gamecube was good, SSBM was better than SSB64, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and the best version of Soul Calibur 2 was on it. Also if you missed the old Zelda games there was a bundle, Zelda 1, 2, Ocarina of Time, and Majoras Mask on one disk. here http://www.gamerankings.com/gamecube/919239-the-legend-of-zelda-collectors-edition/index.html 

Also every Resident Evil game can be bought on the Gamecube up to that point. 0,REmake,2,3,CV,4(meh) 

and Twilight Princess is on the GC, so you got the Zelda Collectors edition, + Wind Waker series + TP, it's just crazy amazing.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aus_azn
    @smileybomber said:
    " @Aus_azn said:

"The GCN is the sole reason that I keep my Wii nowadays. I was so happy with it, unlike the PS2 that I had prior to it. While times change and I've owned every 7G console ever since (and am now back with a PS3), Nintendo always holds a special place in my gaming history. I just find it a pity that they demolished my interest with the Wii and its shovelware games. I've been reduced to only owning Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Brawl and Wii Sports. "

I didn't like the PS2 either. The Gamecube was good, SSBM was better than SSB64, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and the best version of Soul Calibur 2 was on it. Also if you missed the old Zelda games there was a bundle, Zelda 1, 2, Ocarina of Time, and Majoras Mask on one disk. here http://www.gamerankings.com/gamecube/919239-the-legend-of-zelda-collectors-edition/index.html 
       Also every Resident Evil game can be bought on the Gamecube up to that point. Remake,2,3,CV,4(meh)  and Twilight Princess is on the GC, so you got the Zelda Collectors edition, + Wind Waker series + TP, it's just crazy amazing. "
    Amen to the first paragraph, I own all of those games that you mentioned there, although I think the Zelda collector edition disc was a special for Nintendo Power subscribers or if you bought and registered a certain number of games on My Nintendo, IIRC. So while I own it and got it through one of those means (I don't remember which, all I remember is that I did not pay directly for it), it may be quite rare now.

I don't care for RE that much, so I just ignore their existence.

I DESPISED Wind Waker. It just didn't live up to the N64 games, the art style was rubbish and the plot and navigation was meh. *raises flame shield*
    I enjoyed TP, though. I just got annoyed at it after a while and lost interest around the final dungeon. A friend finished it for me at a party, and I replayed the final boss just for the experience. I thought he was hella easy to beat, but maybe that's just me.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @DarthOniXVIII said:
    " @Abyssfull: No kidding! I still play through it at about the half way point every year. It's a beautiful game. "
    I love you.  For a very, very long time, Tales of Symphonia was my favorite game.  It was the first game I pre-ordered.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I remember owning a Gamecube because it was the only console I could afford.

smileybomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By smileybomber

also if you didn't own a Dreamcast, you could get Sonic Adventure 1&2 and Skies of Arcadia on the Gamecube as well. 

Skies of Arcadia is a great game, that is one I truley recommend
    eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eternitymemory

Tales of Symphonia...*nostalgic tear*. That game still holds a place in my heart even after all these years. Every now and then I feel a sense of regret for selling my Gamecube, mostly because of that game.  The recent Tales games have yet to take ToS's place as my favorite among them.

The Baten Kaitos games were also fun Gamecube JRPGs. Baten Kaitos 1 had really lol-worthy voice-acting, though. They both had excellent soundtracks, too. I miss playing them. :(

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MisterDunlap
    @eternitymemory: For some reason I could never get into the Baten Kaitos games. Not really sure why.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

Great story, I don't have a GameCube anymore, but I continue to buy games for it to play on my Wii. I'm thinking about buying a few more. I do remember getting the SNES from my girlfriend and now wife for Christmas. I was already 27 years old or so, but I still screamed like a little girl.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
    @Skytylz said:
    " My parents bought me an N64, but then I had to buy an xbox when I was like 12 because they're some of those people that hate games.  It was pretty awesome, I remember hooking it up the first time on like a 12" tv and playing Quarterback Club 96, it wasn't great.  I got the N64 with donkey kong 64 and the extra ram though, so I got to play my first Rare platformer!  I think first consoles should always be Nintendo, it's just traditional and you can get a history lesson.  No way was i getting a lame PS1 lol. "
    The PS1 is probably one of the best consoles ever made. Ever hear of Metal Gear Solid? What about Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX? They were all on the PS1.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I got a Gamecube when I was a kid, by choice, because I've always wanted to be different for the sake of being different. I was such a little twat. Anyway, Playing Rogue Squadron 2 and the death star assault for the first time is still one of my dearest gaming memories. Such an amazing game...

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

There were some great games for GC. I really liked Super Mario Sunshine, and RE 0.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Skytylz
    @MiamiRedHawks said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " My parents bought me an N64, but then I had to buy an xbox when I was like 12 because they're some of those people that hate games.  It was pretty awesome, I remember hooking it up the first time on like a 12" tv and playing Quarterback Club 96, it wasn't great.  I got the N64 with donkey kong 64 and the extra ram though, so I got to play my first Rare platformer!  I think first consoles should always be Nintendo, it's just traditional and you can get a history lesson.  No way was i getting a lame PS1 lol. "
    The PS1 is probably one of the best consoles ever made. Ever hear of Metal Gear Solid? What about Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX? They were all on the PS1. "
    I like metal gear solid, I've even played those weird VR missions.  Final Fantasy games have never really been my thing either.  Twisted metal was fun too, but these aren't really games for a little kid.  
    LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LightRain

Great story! I loved my GameCube too, best system I ever bought.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Sayishere

game cube was SO underrated

it still bothers me how the wii has sold more units than a gamecube, which is a far better console, in my eyes

Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Mechwing
    @smileybomber said:
    " @Aus_azn said:

Also every Resident Evil game can be bought on the Gamecube up to that point. 0,REmake,2,3,CV,4(meh)  and Twilight Princess is on the GC, so you got the Zelda Collectors edition, + Wind Waker series + TP, it's just crazy amazing. "
    I HAVE THAT ZELDA BUNDLE DISC. i still pop it in time by time and just 100% the zelda games. it so fun, i still can't beat zelda 2 thou. :/
    D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By D0tti

Man I fucking miss the "old days", I know this is a thread about Gamecube, but it just reminded me of my 2nd console I got (after the NES), I still remember playing PS1 on a 15" Blaupunkt TV under our staircase.. Crash Bandicoot games and Heart of Darkness etc.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Trebz

I can relate to this. The Gamecube was the first console I ever owned, too (discounting the Gameboy Advance, but that's not a console) and I had a lot of good memories come out of it. Wind Waker (the song from Outset Island still finds its way into my head every now and then), Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Chibi-Robo, Metroid Prime, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario 2, Animal Crossing, Pikmin... That thing had a great line-up, even if the last couple years weren't so great.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Oni

Reminds me of when I got the N64, which was my first console, on my tenth birthday. Good times... Wave Race 64 and Super Mario 64 were the games I got with it, and I played them to hell and back and loved them dearly. I remember being so incredibly excited for Ocarina of Time. I had a magazine with a review in it, and a special 20-page magazine all about Ocarina. I must've read those things forward and back like 20 times. And it came out, and STILL blew me away. Best game ever made.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.