Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gas Powered Games

Company »

Gas Powered Games are a popular PC developer most famous for their Real-Time Strategy games.

Gas Powered Games going Kickstarter

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mosdl

Link.

According to Gamasutra, they are betting the company on the Kickstarter's success. The game, Wildman, is a "action RPG/real-time strategy game/MOBA hybird", whatever that means:

Very broadly, Taylor says Wildman brings the RTS into the RPG, and the game also incorporates MOBA aspects. It has players taking control of a caveman-esque "wildman" or "wildwoman" who is subjected to the surrounding evolving technology and culture, and who is pushing to dominate the surrounding environment. As that push for geographic expansion continues, players will encounter enemies, and conflict will ensue.

Sounds interesting at least. 2013, year of the rts?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

Sounds to me like it might be an RTS that has hero units. That's the only way I can think of incorporating "action RPG/MOBA" elements.

Edit: Nevermind, after watching that video it looks to be much more action RPG centered than RTS centered. I was more excited for an RTS tbh.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

I'm starting to think that the cost of developing games is a lot less than the industry would have us believe; it doesn't make sense that this many established developers would go the Kickstarter route if it wasn't more profitable than a traditional developer / publisher agreement.

I guess we'll see when these games start coming out whether they end up being garbage or not.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By crusader8463

I watched the video and it just looked like a typical action RPG where you only get to play as a barbarian. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's all I took away from the video. Didn't do anything to excite me.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By mosdl

@Kidavenger said:

I'm starting to think that the cost of developing games is a lot less than the industry would have us believe; it doesn't make sense that this many established developers would go the Kickstarter route if it wasn't more profitable than a traditional developer / publisher agreement.

I guess we'll see when these games start coming out whether they end up being garbage or not.

Well, an RTS/RPG is different than a open world, 3d shooter/stealth game.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

I don't really have anything to add other than saying "Wildman" seems like a dumb name for something.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iamjohn

So basically they want us to Kickstart Demigod 2 after making Demigod 1 resoundingly mediocre? This sounds like a sound plan that couldn't possibly go wrong.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McGhee

@Ravenlight said:

I don't really have anything to add other than saying "Wildman" seems like a dumb name for something.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By granderojo

Krater got panned by critics but I rather enjoyed it for the time I spent with it despite it being unfinished and full of problems. The core idea of taking Diablo & adding MOBA style mechanics seems like exactly the sort of thing I wish Torchlight 2 had done. Also Gas Powered is a good developer but I think it's a good idea they're taking on a smaller project, they seem better when their ambition is reserved to the quality of the product and not overall quantity of it.

Also I really hope the bombcrew doesn't get snarky about this like they did with Molyneux's project, Godus was a game that would have never got funding but is exactly the sort of thing kickstarter is meant for just like this. Small projects that wouldn't get funding otherwise. It's when the big players start coming in and start asking for 4-6 million is when we should worry.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

@McGhee said:

@Ravenlight said:

I take it back. Wildman is the perfect name for that sort of thing.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

You had me up until "MOBA".

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Subjugation

@McGhee: If the game is half as good as that, we will have a true gem on our hands.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By granderojo

@WinterSnowblind said:

MOBA's have a very specific set of RTS mechanics, it's a good shorthand. When you just say RTS people think huge armies and base building which this most certainly isn't going to have from the sounds of it.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By JayEH

Seems like they're asking for quite a lot of money, not sure if they'll make it

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Giantstalker

@WinterSnowblind said:

This sums up my opinion of the whole thing perfectly.

Sorry GPG, but after Demigod, you'll have to go on without me on this one.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Zebracal

This looks interesting. The art reminded me of orcs must die and torchlight 1

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StealthRaptor

If anyone is still interested In learning more about this, there is an excellent Three Moves Ahead podcast with Chris Taylor: http://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By project343

Established game company asking for money for one of the most popular genres out there.

IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY?

Rabble.

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StealthRaptor

@project343 If you check out the kickstarter or listen to the podcast I just linked you'll see they already tried and failed to get a publisher and crowd funding is the only way that they can possibly make another game.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By project343

@StealthRaptor said:

@project343 If you check out the kickstarter or listen to the podcast I just linked you'll see they already tried and failed to get a publisher and crowd funding is the only way that they can possibly make another game.

Well then my question simply extends to really dumb publishers. Why would they not support this sort of thing? Rabble.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.