Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gatling Gun

Object » linked to 346 games

A Gatling gun is a machine gun that uses multiple rotating barrels to rapidly fire bullets. Commonly mounted on vehicles or gunships, some larger characters may carry a hand held version.

Best Gatling Gun in Games?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

I was playing some Gears 5 yesterday, and had a few very satisfying moments with the Tri-Shot Chain Gun. It made me think if any other games have done a better version of a Gatling Gun/minigun/Chain Gun. I often find that guns like this in other games feel like they're just spraying low-caliber ammo all around the place. The Tri-Shot however feels very powerful, makes a nice chunky sound and is quite usable from a long distance.

The only other great example I could think of was the minigun missions in GRAW and GRAW 2.

How about you duders? What are some of your favorite Gatling Guns in games?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Is this a troll post? How are we going to talk about chain guns and not be talking about the chain gun from Doom, including 2016 Doom? All other chainguns are pretenders to the throne, toys, diversions. The Doom chain gun allowed you to take ammo previously relegated to the wimpy pistol and use it to shred demons like cabbage for a big plate of coleslaw. It is a defining weapon for first person shooters. The Wolfenstein chain gun is fine for what it was, but it was just a slight upgrade to the machine gun, not an essential tool of demon death.

It's Doom.

Honorable mention goes to the Bulletstorm minigun, which just straight up mulched dudes. All of that games weapons were tons of fun to use.

If we're talking mounted chainguns specifically then we can have a different conversation.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

Predator Cannon - Titanfall 2

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Serious sam

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Timesplitters 2 had my personal favorite, but it’s hard to argue with Doom’s.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: I totally forgot about the Timesplitters 2 minigun. That thing was appropriately ridiculous. Also the Predator Cannon and Bulletstorm minigun are good picks. I know I'm in the wrong with this opinion, but none of the Doom miniguns ever really did it for me.

Two that I forgot about are the Warthog chain guns. I mean the one on back of the Halo Warthog has a nice action, is deadly but not too overpowered and really balances out the whole vehicle. And as for the other Warthog, well...

Loading Video...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brutal Doom

Loading Video...
    Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hailstorm from Resistance. While not exactly the definition of a gatling gun, I always thought it felt like one, just in Insomniac form. Instead of having spinning barrels shooting one at a time, it just asked what if we shot all the bullets at once? I really loved the thing.

Loading Video...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9 fisk0  Moderator

@bigsocrates: Huh, I thought Doom's chaingun was incredibly unsatisfying, such slow rate of fire and the reuse of the pistol sound sample just made it sound weird, especially when you consider how incredibly powerful the Wolfenstein 3D gatling gun felt two years earlier.

Loading Video...

So, yeah, Wolfenstein 3D is somewhere close to the top for me, Quake II's is probably in the conversation too, though I found its wind-up animation to be a bit too long (same with the Team Fortress ones).

My favorite may be Unreal Tournament's though, it felt really good and for some reason let you pick between two different firing rates.

Loading Video...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@isomeri: Ooh, Bulletstorm is a good pick too.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't play many FPS games, if any, but I.. I kinda like the ones from Fallout 3 & 4.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bigsocrates: Yeah, 2016 Doom for sure. That thing is downright absurd after upgrades, and it's no slouch before upgrades either.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Syndicate has a decent punch to it's minigun.

Loading Video...

History4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought the Crimsonland Gatling gun was incredibly satisfying to use, especially for being outside a FPS

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Vulcan Cannon in Gears of War 3, hands down. Being tethered to the ammo box means you need a second player to make you mobile and keep pumping ammo into your gun. It turns enemies into paste. It sounds INCREDIBLE. It's the best.

Loading Video...

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fram: Wow that really sucks for the other player! LOL!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@fram: While Gears 3 is the most valid choice I’ve seen in this thread so far.

I’d also mention Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Lastly, Nyoka’s ability in The Outer Worlds is EXACTLY what a video game minigun should be. Big, loud, destructive, and the shooter should be screaming bloody fucking murder the entire time its shooting.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ridiculous Fishing's akimbo miniguns were pretty awesome as well. Not the best though.. that belongs to Doom.

Lionsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starsiege Tribes is the only real answer here. It had ballistic projectile drop, and the maps were huge so you could kill people behind hills with a rain of hot bullets from a mile away with it.

Also, it looked cool. In my head.

Deltex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The M90 Minigun in Aliens vs Predator 2 was fun.

Loading Video...

hassan918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hassan918

@isomeri: First of all I really like your profile picture which reminds me of my most favorite game of all time "Max Payne" and now I will answer your actual question. For me it is M134.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassan918: Thank you. Max Payne is one of my favorite games too. And you know what? That damn game turns 20 years old this year. No gatling guns in that game though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.