Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

E.P.I.C. -- The New Jackass to Achievement Whores

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

Honestly, I can't understand why they feel the need to make achievements a grinding chore. Not sure what I'm talking about? Well look at the "Seriously" achievements then think, "How about something five times worse than that?" I bring you a 75G achievement requiring an insurmountable amount of work.

No Caption Provided
    Veteran Gear
    Reach level 100 and win a match on each of the 4 Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only)

People are using a formula (unconfirmed officially) that claims by the time you reach level 100, you'll have accrued almost 7 million experience. Just to let you know how long this is, in an average game with decent players you'll probably get 1,000 experience -- give or take.

Fuck you E.P.I.C. Fuck you Cliffy. And fuck my completionist attitude.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By carlthenimrod

So that would be like 7,000 games according to that formula? That doesn't seem insurmountable to me, seems to go with Seriously 2.0. I've played a ton of Gears 2 and I have like 15,000 kills I think so far out of 100,000.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MKHavoc

Well no one's forcing you to get the achievement.  I know it sucks that this one will take so long, but you should probably just move on.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Achievements are always optional. I'm sure you can get those 75 points easily in any other game. I wouldn't worry about it.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo
    AnimZero said:
    "Achievements are always optional. I'm sure you can get those 75 points easily in any other game. I wouldn't worry about it."
    I like completing shit. I realize they are all optional. But if I start something I have to finish it, and in the case they add something new I have to finish that as well. That's not the point, let's look at the fact that Cliff B. is a douche. Go.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive

it seems like a cool thing though. i mean, for those super hardcore players out there, its nice to be suddenly awarded for such an amazing ...well, anyone can do it if they had all the time in the world...eg. no job. But still, its not set up like Trophies where everyone wants to earn that platinum, here its set up like, yo dude if you can get THAT much we'll give more points

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

And that is why I don't put that much effort into achievements.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

That is crazy. I would say "nope" straight away, but I know there are people out there who are like "urgh, I shouldn't, but..."

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb

Not that I necessarily believe this, but it's a valid argument:

"They're called achievements for a reason!"

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Captain_Fookup

By the time Gears of War 3 drops, most people will have Seriously 2.0 and Veteran Gear unlocked.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By mordecaix7

I think the major gripe is the fact that Seriously 2.0 can be achieved by a TOTAL number of kills across all game types.  Whereas Veteran Gear can only be unlocked by playing multiplayer.  It's possible for the game to dry up before anyone can get that far.  Since it's Gears of War 2 i'd say it's more in favor of staying alive than drying up, but everything is possible.

Speaking of Seriously 2.0, I might start playing that game again this weekend...

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo

My real problem is the fact they don't know when to stop the grinding achievements. Especially a game like Gears which doesn't need it. My favorite example of achievements done well, as always, is Orange Box. 1,000 kills in multiplayer? Not too bad, considering it's fun and you'll reach that number by natural gameplay. Not to mention Gears 2 is bad enough since they don't suck it up and just use dedicated servers. It's sickening that successful companies like E.P.I.C. can't support their fans with a real, almost lag-free, experience. Here's looking at you too Bungie.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187
    carlthenimrod said:
    "So that would be like 7,000 games according to that formula? That doesn't seem insurmountable to me, seems to go with Seriously 2.0. I've played a ton of Gears 2 and I have like 15,000 kills I think so far out of 100,000."
    You can get Seriously 2.0 in a day.  lol
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo
    jakob187 said:
    "carlthenimrod said:
    "So that would be like 7,000 games according to that formula? That doesn't seem insurmountable to me, seems to go with Seriously 2.0. I've played a ton of Gears 2 and I have like 15,000 kills I think so far out of 100,000."
    You can get Seriously 2.0 in a day.  lol
    "
    I did it in 3 days. You'd have to be more dedicated than me to do it in a single day. That's just not possible.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok
    carlthenimrod said:
    It comes out (if each match is about 8 minutes in length) to taking somewhere around 38.8~ days of nonstop playing. This assumes no down time between each match (and that each match is that length). This time could easily be double that. If you only played roughly two hours a day, everyday (with the current 8 minute match length, getting 1000 points each match, and having no downtime between), it would take you an estimated 466.8 days (or 1.2 years). That's a long god damn time.
    Avatar image for daeth_on_demand
    Daeth_On_Demand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Daeth_On_Demand

No offense to the OP, but did you really want Epic to implement a ranking system that was super easy to conquer?  I guess your issue is more the achievement for reaching level 100, but that just seems like a smart idea to me.  If I'm having to shell out ten bucks on a new map pack, I want some achievements I can get really quickly (aka Frigid Boy Dynamics, The Weather Outside Is Lethal, Never Eat Red Snow, & Icy Dead People), and then achievements that I can get gradually over time, and that I feel like I truly accomplished something by achieving (aka Rookie Gear<Seasoned Gear<Battle-Tested Gear<Battle-Hardened Gear<Veteran Gear).  I think Epic was pretty smart about the new achievements, and I like them.  Will I ever get Veteran Gear?  Probably not, but it definitely will show who the most dedicated players are.

jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By jok3r

You don't need to be such a completitionist whore, that is a real man's achievement, and it's made for those who are in love with Gears of War. Just because you're an achievement whore doesn't mean developers should make it easy for you to get them. If you glance at someone's gamercard and see that they have this achievement, you'll know that they really like Gears of War, the end, it also allows people to know the general area of rank which you are in. (around 5,25,50, or 100)

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By xMP44x

Apart from the fact it's easy to glitch the Level 100 achievment, I agree with Jok3r.

ironmandan09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ironmandan09

yea veteran gear is a pain in the ass but i have been playing the new system for a week and i am level 30
    so in a couple fof months i will have it and i play gears for idk 2 hours a day

also the seriously 2.0 can be achieved in less than a day because if you really focus on repeating the part over rand over than you can get 2000 kills in about 15 minutes

so if u start at 0 then that would be in less than 15 hours if you just sit there and play it through. but for me it took a few thousand here and there and i had it in about 2 months

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That is a dumb achievement.  A really dumb achievement.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Yeah its pretty easy to level up just play annex and king of the hill which nets you loads of kills and lots of experience.
    As for that didn't you know this all ready? i mean come on epic are total dicks unreal tournament 3 has an achievement called like the back of my hand, you have to pick up every item atleast once on every map...thats EVERY thing and guess what? it was glitched forever and im still unsure if they have fixed it people literally took the PC version of the game and using the map editor found every pickupable item they then picked every item up and never got the achievement unlocked.

seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By seram

Well you see.... achievements are supposed to be gained when you achieve something that is somewhat difficult to achieve. So on the contrary, most achievements out there are not really achievements at all. That is gonna take a long time though. But hey, if you ever get it, imagine how much of an ego you'll gain.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Seram said:
    "Well you see.... achievements are supposed to be gained when you achieve something that is somewhat difficult to achieve. So on the contrary, most achievements out there are not really achievements at all. That is gonna take a long time though. But hey, if you ever get it, imagine how much of an ego you'll gain."
    People are already glitching it, so you won't know the difference from a legit one and a cheated one.

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Yeah its pretty easy to level up just play annex and king of the hill which nets you loads of kills and lots of experience.As for that didn't you know this all ready? i mean come on epic are total dicks unreal tournament 3 has an achievement called like the back of my hand, you have to pick up every item atleast once on every map...thats EVERY thing and guess what? it was glitched forever and im still unsure if they have fixed it people literally took the PC version of the game and using the map editor found every pickupable item they then picked every item up and never got the achievement unlocked."
    I know all about E.P.I.C., and sure they have some achievements that make me want to stab babies. But this is far worse than anything previous.

ironmandan09 said:
    "

yea veteran gear is a pain in the ass but i have been playing the new system for a week and i am level 30
    so in a couple fof months i will have it and i play gears for idk 2 hours a day

also the seriously 2.0 can be achieved in less than a day because if you really focus on repeating the part over rand over than you can get 2000 kills in about 15 minutes

so if u start at 0 then that would be in less than 15 hours if you just sit there and play it through. but for me it took a few thousand here and there and i had it in about 2 months

"
    Just to let you know, as you might have seen. Every level increases in experience required, and you're going to need more than 5 million (at the least, unconfirmed still). It will take you more than a couple months, at least a year and a half.
    BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

if you were a true "completionist" you shouldn't complain about how long an achievment will take and just do the damn work, why sit and complain about it when you could be working on it now?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crunchUK

Funny, im playing gears 2 and there is a level 100 guy here 0_o

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Funny thing is every single person who has glitched their level 100 is going to be banned from xbox live.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK
    Captain_Fookup said:
    "Funny thing is every single person who has glitched their level 100 is going to be banned from xbox live."
    ah so you can glitch it. wlel that explains why he ws so terrible.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Captain_Fookup

It's impossible to have reached level 100 without cheating and will be for a long time.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Is it still taking forever to connect to matches?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vinchenzo
    BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
    "if you were a true "completionist" you shouldn't complain about how long an achievment will take and just do the damn work, why sit and complain about it when you could be working on it now?"
    God damn you are smug. Fuck off, I've done a lot of time-consuming achievements, but a fucking year and a half is too much to ask.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Captain_Fookup
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    "Is it still taking forever to connect to matches?"
    No, it's been fixed for awhile. Unless you are poor and have slow internet, if that is the case it's time to get your shit together.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crunchUK

PWNZORD YOU TOOK ON MORE THAN YOU COULD CHEW

and

Captain_Fookup said:

"MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    No, it's been fixed for awhile. Unless you are poor and have slow internet, if that is the case it's time to get
    your shit together."
    Lol are you 11 years old or something?
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Captain_Fookup
    crunchUK said:
    "PWNZORD YOU TOOK ON MORE THAN YOU COULD CHEW

and

Captain_Fookup said:
    "MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    No, it's been fixed for awhile. Unless you are poor and have slow internet, if that is the case it's time to get
    your shit together."
    Lol are you 11 years old or something?"
    Would you like to cyber? you're my type, in high school with acne prone skin.
    seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By seram

I don't really see what the problem is. I mean its not like you have to get the achievement or anything. But its probably just because EPIC has never known how to make good achievements. They just make "get X number of something". Basically, its "play for a long time, get an achievement". So, Gears is probably the wrong game to want to be an achievement whore with anyway. I say just forget it. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Avatar image for shogunsupremacy
    ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShogunSupremacy

Im just happy that the asshole that cheated are getting their gaerscore reset.....serves um right I say!

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

actually agree with this forum you shouldnt have to go way out of your way to get achievements

Dragonbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dragonbyte
    Vinchenzo said:
    Honestly, I can't understand why they feel the need to make achievements a grinding chore. Not sure what I'm talking ... [more]

man that is ruff, and here i was thinking it'd be nice to play gears 2 again.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By keyhunter

If you think that's rough: Try getting 500 kills per day on 300 different days in UT 3 for XBOX 360.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vinchenzo
    keyhunter said:
    If you think that's rough: Try getting 500 kills per day on 300 different days in UT 3 for XBOX ... [more]
    Wow you're bad. It's only 50 different days. Plus, you can do it against bots. Which means each day it only takes about 10-15 minutes a day. On top of that, you can go to the dashboard and change the day, it'll still count.

It only amounts to 10,000 kills. It's basically just "Seriously" for Unreal Tournament. So if you're going to come into a thread and talk achievements, know what you're talking about. I don't fuck around!
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Shadow

not only that, but there is a glitch to get that achievement without doing any work.  They're erasing the achievement points from anyone that tries it.  The reason they know you're doing it is because according to them, it is currently physically impossible for anyone to have reached that level yet.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Shadow said:
    not only that, but there is a glitch to get that achievement without doing any work.  They're erasing the achievement ... [more]
    I'm sure EPIC has a system to track this kind of thing. Akin to their stats tracking on the GoW2 website.
    Avatar image for shogunsupremacy
    ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShogunSupremacy

Oh they do, I know a guy that used to work for epic and he told me that back in the Ureal times when it was really popular they had glitchers all the time, but back then they didnt have achievements, it was only this thing called Pride people cared about, they had to be number 1!

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By OmegaPirate

Pride? how many gamer points is that worth?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.