Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Experience system is a fail......

dajonesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dajonesy

When I heard the news of COD4 style xp system being introduced to Gears of War 2 MP, I thought "GREAT!......this is the update thats gonna drag me back to playing Gears2 over Xbox LIVE", because if I'm honest, I stopped playing the MP about 3 weeks after release day. That turned out to be the case, as this past week, I took Gears2 off the shelf, downloaded the update and started chainsawing some fools agen!!

Now, I'm all for systems which punish players that quit early......but to introduce such a system to your game, when your game is as unreliable as Gears2 MP is, is an awful decision. I should be around level 7 now, but find myself no where even close to that. 3 times last nite, after I finished a match, the game didn't register that I had finished it and docked me around 1000 xp points. It also crashed twice during rounds of Wingman, which again cost me a load of points each time. 

What's strange tho, is when these failures occur, the game still records your score from the match/round and these all contribute to the other MP achievements, it only seems to affect the XP system.

This will no doubt add longevity to the multiplayer, as it looks like its gonna take me an age to reach level 100!! HaHa
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By crunchUK

Like all Exp based ranking systems - useless

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Reuben

The exp system is great but it's not as good as COD's xp system. I don't know what's up with EPIC but they don't seem to do well in the MP side of things...At least for the Gears of War games.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Reuben said:
    "The exp system is great but it's not as good as COD's xp system. I don't know what's up with EPIC but they don't seem to do well in the MP side of things...At least for the Gears of War games."
    I think the original multiplayer was more fun...
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hitchenson

I personally hate the CoD/New Gears ranking systems. They don't show actual skill level at all, just how much you've played the game. I know people that are dreadfull at CoD, but are still a high rank. It means nothing.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grilledcheez
    dajonesy said:
    "
    but find myself no where even close to that. 3 times last nite, after I finished a match, the game didn't register that I had finished it and docked me around 1000 xp points.
    "
    If you quit during the countdown at the end of the game, that counts as quitting out and you will lose 1500 exp everytime.
    Dachef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Dachef

I don't really care that much. I just see people at level 45 and think, wow you have no life.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8  Edited By SunKing
    @Reuben said:
    " The exp system is great but it's not as good as COD's xp system. I don't know what's up with EPIC but they don't seem to do well in the MP side of things...At least for the Gears of War games. "
    Ironic, considering they were ones who made Unreal Tournament. But yes, I agree, there are quite a few technical issues and bad design decisions in the Gears 2 MP.
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By azteris

Off Topic: Can we please stop using the word fail? Last time I checked, it's not 2004, and it's not still relevant.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By lemon360

They reduced mp's lag and the new system is better, but far from cod4's. Hell cod4's is flawed. fucking +2 assist in WaW i'd have gotten +8 . . . anyway stick to gears 1. PLENTY of people play, all the maps are free and way less lag and stuff.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By End_Boss

Alright, you sit down on the sofa, I'm going to go put the kettle on. I'll bring out some mugs and blankets and we can talk about what really bothers you about Gears 2 multiplayer.

Now, I know it might be too soon for you to hear this, but the fact is that what bothers you about Gears 2 multiplayer is Gears 2 multiplayer.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Ineedaname

I've not played Gears in an age, are people still bridging?

Branz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Branz
    @Ineedaname: Well I didn't used to play and I have been recently, and I don't even know what bridging is, so it looks like people don't.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Wolverine
    @dajonesy: The exp system doesn't seem like it is that bad, they just have to stop punishing players that lag out of games.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stang
    @Azteris said:
    " Off Topic: Can we please stop using the word fail? Last time I checked, it's not 2004, and it's not still relevant. "
    While we are at it, the phrases epic and lulz also need to be eradicated. Thanks internet.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Wolverine
    @Stang said:
    " @Azteris said:
    " Off Topic: Can we please stop using the word fail? Last time I checked, it's not 2004, and it's not still relevant. "
    While we are at it, the phrases epic and lulz also need to be eradicated. Thanks internet. "
    Agreed, also the phrases " that is whack" or "that is mad chill" need to be eradicated from our language.
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Toxin066
    @Wolverine said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @Azteris said:
    While we are at it, the phrases epic and lulz also need to be eradicated. Thanks internet. "
    Agreed, also the phrases " that is whack" or "that is mad chill" need to be eradicated from our language.
    "
    can we get rid of  something being "so cash" as well?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.