Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Gears 2 is still a broken piece of shit even after Title Update 6

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Damien

Sorry for the strong language but I needed to say that and get it off my chest.

I decided to try Gears again after I saw that TU6 was coming out, player matches were added, and it was triple xp weekend for memorial day.  Now I hadn't played Gears for a while, since maybe the 3rd or 4th patch when the All Fronts package came out, but it seems as if nothing has changed at all, despite this new (final?) fix-all patch.  It feels like the update did jack shit.  Weapon-wise, it made the shotgun better, which is something this game didn't need.  Now the game just devolves into blind-firing shotties while rolling in a circle that much quicker.   But that is not even my main gripe.  

Two words-- Host Advantage.  The host still has a ridiculous advantage when it comes to actually playing, despite the patch notes saying it would fix this.  It picks the worst person to be host and the lackluster connection causes the game to lag, except for him, which leads to him dominating while I helplessly watch as my shotgun pellets seem to do nothing, all while he rolls in and gibs me in one shot.  This is incredibly frustrating and the user experience suffers as a result, unless you're host of course.  The client side hit detection (whatever that means) was supposed to be improved so this wouldn't happen, but again it feels like no change took place.  I really wanted to get back into Gears multiplayer but I can't help but to feel like none of the problems have been fixed since November 2008.  Gears is still an incredibly inconsistent and therefore maddeningly frustrating multiplayer experience.  All I can hope for now is that Epic learns from all this and fixes its netcode in time for Gears 3 and makes that functional at launch.  And so ends my bitching.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Idunno, the three hours I played today alongside the two were pretty fun. Sure the host still has a pretty big advantage, but it doesn't turn it into an unplayable mess. I don't want to be that person, but sounds like you need to get better.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Damien
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan:  I'm sorry if you didn't want to be that guy, but you are that guy.  While I will completely acknowledge up front that I'm not even a good Gears player, I believe that with a k/d of 1.21 that makes me a strictly average/decent player.  The game isn't an unplayable mess but that doesn't mean it's not broken, especially in regard to host selection and advantage.  It's hard to say that when you are opposing the host and you get into a shotgun battle with him one-on-one, you appear to fire 3 shots into his body, not downing him, then he insta-kills you, then at the end of the match you see he has more than double the amount of kills than anyone else, it's hard to say that's okay and not broken.
    dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dantheman1515

Dude host advantage is a thing that can hurt Gears, and always has. But you are most likely one of those people that claim every time they die that the person who killed you is the host. Trust me I'm a very good Gears player. It is my best online game. I dominate. People cry. Women cheer. But I tried to play after 6 months off a few weeks ago and was dying a lot. I have about a 2.5-3.0 in the playlists and was basically going even every game. You are going to die, it isn't the host, its the rust. A few days and you will find a groove.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

There is always host advantage in every game, and people exaggerate it in Gears because of the 1v1 encounters the game play consists of.  Every time the other guy kills you it's "OMG U HAVE HORRIBLE HOST"!, when 90% of the time the dude didn't even have it.  I'm not saying the networking doesn't have it's problems (at launch it was down right broken) but a large amount of the host complaints are unwarranted.  I have a friend that blames host ALL THE TIME when someone out BR's him in Halo 3, and I laugh on the inside every time he does it.  

The problem with Gears 2 is that they took away the player created lobbies and put in a half-assed Halo 3 matchmaking system.  I had more fun with the first one because I found a group of fun people.  We would play for hours at a time and could give host to the best guy.  The shotgun in that game was awesome, and in Gears 2 they took its balls away and turned it into a quick-aiming piece of junk.  Hopefully that boost helps it.  I also hate the wall grenades...it just isn't Gears and ruined the flow of the game.      

OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @Damien:  If you're not doing so hot in shotgun battles, avoid them. Use your hammerburst/lancer to slow them the hell down, ask your teammates for help, or just try to get a power weapon.
    Yeah host advantage is incredibly stupid and unfair, but that doesn't make it unbeatable.
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Toxin066

They did something to counter act the lag issues that ended up making it worse. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but I think that after TU6 the game is even more broken than before.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX

I hate MP in Gears. its one of my favorite franchises, but I think the MP is one of the most unenjoyable experiences I've ever played.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Burns098356GX said:
    " I hate MP in Gears. its one of my favorite franchises, but I think the MP is one of the most unenjoyable experiences I've ever played. "
    At least on the competitive multiplayer aspect, I am pretty much with you. I hate playing other players. Mostly because it's just a bunch of dive-rolling around and hoping for an insta-kill. And the game has never played tightly enough for me to really enjoy playing against other live people.  

I love Horde and stuff, but yeah, never dug the multiplayer. 
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By owl_of_minerva

It seems no amount of fixing can make Gears 2's MP any good. And they improved the shotgun? It already beats out most weapons by default anyway, so whatever.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azrail
    @MAN_FLANNEL: in every game that doesnt have a dedicated servers, ie pc games
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Burns098356GX said:
    " I hate MP in Gears. its one of my favorite franchises, but I think the MP is one of the most unenjoyable experiences I've ever played. "
    At least on the competitive multiplayer aspect, I am pretty much with you. I hate playing other players. Mostly because it's just a bunch of dive-rolling around and hoping for an insta-kill. And the game has never played tightly enough for me to really enjoy playing against other live people.   I love Horde and stuff, but yeah, never dug the multiplayer.  "
    Agree. I haven't played it for months, but I decided I'd stop playing it when 99% of the time people would wack me with a shotgun, then blow me away. Its just really really odd mechanics for a shooter.

Horde was OK, but just didn't have the staying power.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Azrail said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL: in every game that doesnt have a dedicated servers, ie pc games "
    Yeah.  I could have put a "peer to peer" qualifier in there, but I figure everyone would know what I meant.  Of course there isn't host advantage without a host.    
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By august

I'm excited to find out who else he hates before he goes back to an exciting evening of injecting horse testosterone directly into his pituitary gland.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By apathylad

Don't feed the troll!

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan:  I tried to pick up GOW2 for a bit as I enjoyed some aspects of the multiplayer, like Horde mode, but each time I tried all I could see were tumbleweeds. All anyone was playing was "Wingman" (Australian region here). I might've considered the map packs if the community didn't seem quite dead.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

WTF It's taken them this long to add player matches? Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK?!?!? I played player matches pretty much exclusively in Gears 1 except for some achievement whoring because I prefered playing in a playlist instead of finding a lobby every time I wanted to play a game. Hence I hardly played any gears 2 multiplayer. I am honestly astounded it has taken so long for them to put this in.
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @owl_of_minerva: That's a bummer, I usually play with a couple of some friends I went to school with, you can add me and see how bad our lag is if you'd like.
    Gamertag is the same as my GB username.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan:  Thanks, I might take you up on that once I'm finished with assignments.
    xxN3iLxx82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xxN3iLxx82
    @SpikeSpiegel:  I'm really sorry for offending all you sensitive people. You and everyone else who has replied has made me turn over a new leaf. I actually love all homosexuals, they should all be given the right to marry each other and adopt children. I also love all women in positions of authority, I love all minorities and religons (especially muslims) I love listening to gangsta rap, it's my music of choice. I believe it has a positive influence on today's youth. In fact all these people and things has progressed are society in such a positive direction over the years; that's why the United States is such a wonderful and morally sound place to live in here in the year 2010. PEACE TO ALL!!!! I'm also pro-choice, and we should open are borders and welcome all illegals with open arms. Anyway, GEARS is awesome.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By OneManX

Not gunna lie, if I didn't have Gears 2 in storage right now, I'll probably be playing it now. I liked it, and I never really cried about OMG HOST~! SHOTTY~! I just stuck to objective based games, since that seems to be way more fun than the Deathmatch games.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I really only play Gears of War games for the SP and Horde mode.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheDoorman
    @Damien:  What, the shotgun was my favortie part of the old gears of war. Unlike most things it took skill to be good with the shotty. The reason I quit gears is because of the fucking lancer. Talk about handing the game to people by giving them an unstoppable machine gun.

If anything, the shotgun update made the game better and now I might actually go back to it.
    mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By mastrbiggy
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " There is always host advantage in every game, and people exaggerate it in Gears because of the 1v1 encounters the game play consists of.  Every time the other guy kills you it's "OMG U HAVE HORRIBLE HOST"!, when 90% of the time the dude didn't even have it.  I'm not saying the networking doesn't have it's problems (at launch it was down right broken) but a large amount of the host complaints are unwarranted.  I have a friend that blames host ALL THE TIME when someone out BR's him in Halo 3, and I laugh on the inside every time he does it.    The problem with Gears 2 is that they took away the player created lobbies and put in a half-assed Halo 3 matchmaking system.  I had more fun with the first one because I found a group of fun people.  We would play for hours at a time and could give host to the best guy.  The shotgun in that game was awesome, and in Gears 2 they took its balls away and turned it into a quick-aiming piece of junk.  Hopefully that boost helps it.  I also hate the wall grenades...it just isn't Gears and ruined the flow of the game.       "
    true
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By big_jon

I just came back and holy shit this game is so busted. It is quite a joke.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By flaminghobo

I never found the game to be particularly busted after title update six. However, I will say that there are still a couple of balancing issues that remain in the game. (Though it's nowhere near as bad as Modern Warfare 2 in terms of balancing issues.)

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By CptChiken

I LOVED gears 1's MP gears 2's fucking sucked. 

host advantage is just part of gears online you and your team need to work out strategies to deal with it. Its part of the game.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By big_jon
    @CptChiken said:
    "I LOVED gears 1's MP gears 2's fucking sucked.  host advantage is just part of gears online you and your team need to work out strategies to deal with it. Its part of the game. "

So because it's part of the game that makes it okay? What kind of stupid fucking reasoning is that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.