Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Gears of War 2 is Still Pretty Good

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Edited By WickedCestus

When Gears of War 2 came out all the way back in two-thousand-and-hate I didn't really play it. I played through the campaign once, and then just stopped. Until yesterday. I was on Xbox Live, and a few of my friends were playing through Horde mode. I decided, sure, I could go for some Gears 2, it's definitely not terrible. But damn, that game is good.  

The Horde mode is still unmatched in any game. Tons of games have tried to copy this concept, but it still stands out even after all these years. It's like the best parts of Left 4 Dead but combined with enemies that actually pack a punch. It's not just that there are a lot of enemies, it's that most of the enemies take a lot of bullets to kill. By Wave 28, we were having a bit of trouble. We were playing on River, and were just hiding out in a house. We knew from experience that whenever we tried to leave the house we got our asses kicked, so we's try to hole ourselves up in there to survive. But the tension you feel when someone gets downed outside the house, and you have to run out there and save them and then run back as fast as you can is amazing. When the bloodmounts rushed into our house, and started eating us to pieces, it was fun. When a boomer would explode the hell out of you, taking you out of the game for a bit, it was still fun. Being able to watch your buddies try to survive without you is just as nerve-wracking as when you're playing. It took us from 11pm to 4am to make it to Wave 50. By the end, it was less about the game, and more about just being idiots and hanging out with each other. I had drank about 4 Starbucks bottled frappucinos so I was pretty messed up on caffeine, and the night dragged on as I tried to sleep without my eyes being able to close. This is one of those experiences with a game you remember for a while. 

The next day, as soon as I woke up I turned on the Xbox and saw my friends were playing Gears 2 again. This time, instead of playing Horde, we just played straight up deathmatch. We just wanted to have fun and not get our asses kicked, so we played with bots. And it was pretty fun. We played for about 4 hours again and just laughed the whole way through.

I guess the point of this story is that people shouldn't be afraid to go back and play old games just because they're old. I'm getting way more enjoyment out of this game now then I am with Bad Company 2, which is a fairly recent game (I still love Bad Company 2 though). The summer is a great time to play all those games you just missed, since there's nothing else coming out. Hell, I'm going to start playing Persona 3 FES next week.    
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By WickedCestus

When Gears of War 2 came out all the way back in two-thousand-and-hate I didn't really play it. I played through the campaign once, and then just stopped. Until yesterday. I was on Xbox Live, and a few of my friends were playing through Horde mode. I decided, sure, I could go for some Gears 2, it's definitely not terrible. But damn, that game is good.  

The Horde mode is still unmatched in any game. Tons of games have tried to copy this concept, but it still stands out even after all these years. It's like the best parts of Left 4 Dead but combined with enemies that actually pack a punch. It's not just that there are a lot of enemies, it's that most of the enemies take a lot of bullets to kill. By Wave 28, we were having a bit of trouble. We were playing on River, and were just hiding out in a house. We knew from experience that whenever we tried to leave the house we got our asses kicked, so we's try to hole ourselves up in there to survive. But the tension you feel when someone gets downed outside the house, and you have to run out there and save them and then run back as fast as you can is amazing. When the bloodmounts rushed into our house, and started eating us to pieces, it was fun. When a boomer would explode the hell out of you, taking you out of the game for a bit, it was still fun. Being able to watch your buddies try to survive without you is just as nerve-wracking as when you're playing. It took us from 11pm to 4am to make it to Wave 50. By the end, it was less about the game, and more about just being idiots and hanging out with each other. I had drank about 4 Starbucks bottled frappucinos so I was pretty messed up on caffeine, and the night dragged on as I tried to sleep without my eyes being able to close. This is one of those experiences with a game you remember for a while. 

The next day, as soon as I woke up I turned on the Xbox and saw my friends were playing Gears 2 again. This time, instead of playing Horde, we just played straight up deathmatch. We just wanted to have fun and not get our asses kicked, so we played with bots. And it was pretty fun. We played for about 4 hours again and just laughed the whole way through.

I guess the point of this story is that people shouldn't be afraid to go back and play old games just because they're old. I'm getting way more enjoyment out of this game now then I am with Bad Company 2, which is a fairly recent game (I still love Bad Company 2 though). The summer is a great time to play all those games you just missed, since there's nothing else coming out. Hell, I'm going to start playing Persona 3 FES next week.    
    ConfuciusOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ConfuciusOne

I just played through the single player campaign the other day (blame my backlog) and wow, it was a pretty amazing experience.  I haven't tried any of the online stuff yet but all of the cooperative modes definitely have my interests piqued.  I wish I had some RL buddies who gamed like you or I do, but instead I'll have to settle for a few random strangers and maybe make some friends along the way.  I think it's funny that Persona 3 FES is also on my list of games to play next (again, blame the backlog).  I'm also working my way through the original Ratchet & Clank series and a whole lot of other franchises I missed during the PS1/PS2 era, so I'm no stranger to playing some older titles and I wholeheartedly agree with your message.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By carlthenimrod

Horde mode is a ton of fun with friends. I still will play it on occasion. It's really great to play with people that normally aren't that great at multi-player games.

On another note, I was really disappointed by that Borderlands DLC which was suppose to be similar to horde mode, but was garbage instead.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I wouldn't call Gears 2 old but it's a good game indeed, and good games (most of the time) survive the torn of time.
    I play a lot of Gamecube games still and let just say there's a reason why emulators and roms are so popular.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SpiralStairs

I don't like 3rd person cover shooters but hey, if it's what you like, then enjoy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.