Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

No more AR sniper?

Eleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eleo

This is going to piss off a lot of sniper experts.  Now they can only go for headshots?  There are going to be way fewer people using the sniper now.

WhySoGodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WhySoGodly
    Eleo said:
    "This is going to piss off a lot of sniper experts.  Now they can only go for headshots?  There are going to be way fewer people using the sniper now.
    "

I hated the one shot active, but then again, if you were walking out in the open that was your fault to begin with. The point of Gears was to stress cover, you know, that's why Epic wanted the cover system.

However, both were exploited. Gears became a wallbouncing-fest and all snipers would have no fear of rushing towards you with their active sniper. Shotgun vs active sniper? Sniper usually wins.

In Gears 2 I imagine it won't be the same due to stopping power, which has hardcore Gearheads pissed. No more roadie running through shots and being able to one shot your opponent.

I hope they fix the wallbouncing, melee strength.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422

Hardcore Gearheads as in people who just exploited the game and made it how even the developers were dissapointed in,is more like it. I hope the stopping power actually works to prevent all the shotty rolling scrubs who ruined the game in the first,Cliff said that was the intention of it,because the way gears 1 became,he was ashamed of it and hated what it turned into.

I really hope it pisses those people off,I hope it pisses them off a whole lot, they aren't wanted.

About the sniper though,the sniper in anygame should be about going for headshots so that doesn't really bother me.(is this confirmed 100% btw? no AR on the sniper?)

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Shawn

good ridden.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DARKIDO07
    pause422 said:
    "Hardcore Gearheads as in people who just exploited the game and made it how even the developers were dissapointed in,is more like it. I hope the stopping power actually works to prevent all the shotty rolling scrubs who ruined the game in the first,Cliff said that was the intention of it,because the way gears 1 became,he was ashamed of it and hated what it turned into.

I really hope it pisses those people off,I hope it pisses them off a whole lot, they aren't wanted.

About the sniper though,the sniper in anygame should be about going for headshots so that doesn't really bother me.(is this confirmed 100% btw? no AR on the sniper?)
    "
    If worst comes to worse, the developers could just remove the shotgun from online entirely if Stoping Power didn't work. Yep, no AR Sniper, now they need to fix the one hit down melee.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

Ah ok,I wasn't sure if it was definitely confirmed or not yet,thanks. And I totally agree about the melee system,its almost as bad as the shotgunning was. If someone gets in a single hit,it left you stunned unable to do shit except get hit again and be downed(unless the first instantly downed you.) really was a ton broken with the first online,I hope it gets cleaned up because I want to enjoy it.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf

It is confirmed.

I really am happy they took it away. If one team had an awesome sniper... you were screwed.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

I could never hit anything on the game anyway because it had this constant bullet lag(as in can't just aim at someone and have to lead your shots like a mile ahead of them),and I think having to compensate for that  is just stupid,luckily I know this was one of the first changes acknowledged in gears 2.

Bad Company is like that too...really wish it would get fixed,that game could play so much better if it was.

Eleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eleo

I don't think it's the removal that gets me, it's that (so far) there's nothing that replaces it.  What's the advantage of using sniper now?  Because of how slow it is, it's always been a hit-or-miss weapon.  Rarely would you eventually get downed by multiple sniper bullets, either you'd get your face blown off or you'd get downed by an active reload to the chest.  If you get nicked by a sniper bullet, generally you quickly find cover and then stay out of the line of fire.  Now the only use the weapon has is headshots - which are hard to get even with skilled players.

They should give the weapon something else that makes it a worthwhile pick up, otherwise it's gonna be as popular as the boltok pistol.

Sylosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sylosis

I agree with most of your points here, but with the AR; the sniper is going to be a pretty useless gun. To provide some thought to this statement was that in my case and most other people, headshots with the sniper only used to happen in lucky circumstances or when someone was just too stupid to stand still for long enough. If the only way it can deal effective damage is through headshots I think that it may become rapidly ditched (unless it stays as one of the strongest hit guns where you beat down and run around to beat down again; because if this stays the same, there's probably a good chance of people running around with it out purposely with the thought of just beating people down; which completely takes the fun out of the entire principle of the game).Eleo said:

"They should give the weapon something else that makes it a worthwhile pick up, otherwise it's gonna be as popular as the boltok pistol."
    Lol, I actually really liked the boltok, if used properly it was awesome!
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DARKIDO07
    pause422 said:
    "I could never hit anything on the game anyway because it had this constant bullet lag(as in can't just aim at someone and have to lead your shots like a mile ahead of them),and I think having to compensate for that  is just stupid,luckily I know this was one of the first changes acknowledged in gears 2.

Bad Company is like that too...really wish it would get fixed,that game could play so much better if it was.
    "
    No they purpously do that in Bad Company so Semi/Automatic Snipers aren't all powerful, because one hit nearly kills you.
    Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blu_Magic

It doesn't really make a difference to me since I barely ever used the sniper.

CB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CB

The thing is, with lag reduced, the AR sniper would be way too powerful. AR sniping in Gears 1 took some skill because you would always need to lead your shots. Without lag, it would own any other weapon.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DARKIDO07
    pause422 said:
    "I could never hit anything on the game anyway because it had this constant bullet lag(as in can't just aim at someone and have to lead your shots like a mile ahead of them),and I think having to compensate for that  is just stupid,luckily I know this was one of the first changes acknowledged in gears 2.

"
    No they purpously do that in Bad Company so Semi/Automatic Snipers aren't all powerful, because one hit nearly kills you.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By samcotts

Thank god, snipers dominated Gears online, which ruined the fun in my opinion.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Blu_Magic
    samcotts said:
    "Thank god, snipers dominated Gears online, which ruined the fun in my opinion.
    "
    I wouldn't say that they dominated because I'm pretty sure a skilled shotgun wielder could have taken down a sniper.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wefwefasdf
    CB said:
    "The thing is, with lag reduced, the AR sniper would be way too powerful. AR sniping in Gears 1 took some skill because you would always need to lead your shots. Without lag, it would own any other weapon.
    "
    I hadn't thought about that. That is a great point. I really can't wait to play with minimal lag.
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    There is going to be active reload but not one shot down. I hear active with sniper will shoot two bullets or something I rather have it be more accurate if you get active but whatever. As long as active down for sniping noobs is gone Im happy.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "There is going to be active reload but not one shot down. I hear active with sniper will shoot two bullets or something I rather have it be more accurate if you get active but whatever. As long as active down for sniping noobs is gone Im happy."
    Cliffy B said it would only give you a faster reload.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

It was really annoying, glad it's gone.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Player1
    WhySoGodly said:
    "Eleo said:
    "This is going to piss off a lot of sniper experts.  Now they can only go for headshots?  There are going to be way fewer people using the sniper now.
    "

I hated the one shot active, but then again, if you were walking out in the open that was your fault to begin with. The point of Gears was to stress cover, you know, that's why Epic wanted the cover system.

However, both were exploited. Gears became a wallbouncing-fest and all snipers would have no fear of rushing towards you with their active sniper. Shotgun vs active sniper? Sniper usually wins.

In Gears 2 I imagine it won't be the same due to stopping power, which has hardcore Gearheads pissed. No more roadie running through shots and being able to one shot your opponent.

I hope they fix the wallbouncing, melee strength. "
    He put it about as true as possible. The reason they did this was to stress cover, and like he said, so sniper can't win close range. because it shouldnt be able to beat shotty
    Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Homer

Thank god.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By AlexB

I know A LOT of people who are going to be pissed. haha. I don't really care. Considering the player crawls around anyway it would still be hard to down them even if it was still there.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crunchUK

yay i guess? if you ask me they should have fixed it in gears 1

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Terrell

Eleo said:
    "
    Hmm....

No Sniper Spamming?
    People have to use skill? (to get headshots)
    Fewer people using Sniper?
    No more over powered weapon?

All sound like fixes to me.
    Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Terrell

This actually points to a problem in most shooters that are brought out today: Snipers are "unrealistically" powerful. The reason I put unrealistic in quotes is because by definition, all weapons should be deadly, but in keeping with the fantasy in games that you can take multiple bullets and be fine, by comparision they are unrealistic. (and yes, COD4 falls in this category too for the person who was going to be a jerk about it.)

Basically, A sniper is supposed to be someone who is skilled at getting one shot kills, but that doesn't mean that a sniper should be so powerful. I am tired of games where a sniper round can hit you in the foot and it count for 90% of your health being gone. If anything, it should cause just as much damage as a single shot from a weak weapon, because it is to be used to take out people at range, and that should be used for headshots, thus requiring people to have skill, and then helping limit the amount of people who always rush for snipers (Gears, Halo) or a whole team full of snipers (COD4, TF2).

Hopefully Im not the only one who feels this way.... Just think about it with a little common sense and you will see where I am coming from.

Avatar image for ice_cold_rayman
    Ice_Cold_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ice_Cold_Rayman

Thankfully. Gears needed some tweaks as far as multiplayer goes.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MOLE

If there is lag in Gears 2, then the Longshot will be useless.  But, since now the combat is more spaced apart rather than shotgun whores running around, Sniping people should be easier even without 1 shot active reloads

And plus, since now you can stick grenades on walls, you can hide in areas, and if they try to ambush you, KAAABOOOOOMMMM!!!!......they get knocked down and you shoot them.  So things like that make up for it.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Blu_Magic
    MOLE said:
    "If there is lag in Gears 2, then the Longshot will be useless.  But, since now the combat is more spaced apart rather than shotgun whores running around, Sniping people should be easier even without 1 shot active reloads

And plus, since now you can stick grenades on walls, you can hide in areas, and if they try to ambush you, KAAABOOOOOMMMM!!!!......they get knocked down and you shoot them.  So things like that make up for it."
    That's going to get old really fast.....
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NickL

lol topic starter is acting like people who need AR for sniper are experts, that just made me laugh

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Burns09

I'm happy that AR sniper is gone, but I'm also afraid that this will encourage people to start using the sniper as a club even more this time around.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Burns09 said:
    "I'm happy that AR sniper is gone, but I'm also afraid that this will encourage people to start using the sniper as a club even more this time around."
    That might not work with the slowdown when you get shot. You can't abuse the melee anymore either I don't think. :D
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Burns09
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Burns09 said:
    "I'm happy that AR sniper is gone, but I'm also afraid that this will encourage people to start using the sniper as a club even more this time around."
    That might not work with the slowdown when you get shot. You can't abuse the melee anymore either I don't think. :D"
    Yeah, thats a good point.
    Carmel_Chewy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Carmel_Chewy

I can't wait for the AR snipers to be gone, it annoyed me so much. I felt like the only sniper who went for the head.

mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mandeponium
    Eleo said:
    "
    No, it'll piss off sniper noobs. The experts will be happy.

Also, it's funny how we're arguing about balance on a game that's not even out.

CliffyB acknowledged the problems in One and said they're working to make it even better this time around. So I'm not worrying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.