Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Okay Multiplayer Needs To be Fixed

Imensae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By Imensae

So I recently started to play Gears 2 again due to the 8xp weekend and the maps being so cheap but upon playing a bit of it a I realised how unbalanced it is. 
    1.  Why have a cover based shooter where you can only kill people a foot away from them.  Execution rules should be an option and not just automatically in most game modes. 
    2.  The maps do not suit re-spawning game types.  These maps were obviously designed for Warzone and Execution game-modes where you sit out after you are killed. 
    3.  Grenade tagging, I don't mind grenade tagging when it is a player tagging another player but wall tagging is the worst,  this just helps people camp more easily. 
    4.  The sniper is rendered useless due to my first point, the active down from the first one actually makes sense, otherwise why would you even pick it up. 
    5.  Spawning with a shotgun is a terrible idea, and maybe this is where the sawn-off in 3 might fix this,the whole game is a shotgun melee or its hit them with the shotgun then fire and repeat. 
    6.  The hammer of dawn while a good idea is way overpowered when someone has that on certain maps its game over. 
    7.  Whatever happened to Trueskill?  every game I seem to play now the matches are unevenly matched. 

Rant Over

Imensae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Imensae

So I recently started to play Gears 2 again due to the 8xp weekend and the maps being so cheap but upon playing a bit of it a I realised how unbalanced it is. 
    1.  Why have a cover based shooter where you can only kill people a foot away from them.  Execution rules should be an option and not just automatically in most game modes. 
    2.  The maps do not suit re-spawning game types.  These maps were obviously designed for Warzone and Execution game-modes where you sit out after you are killed. 
    3.  Grenade tagging, I don't mind grenade tagging when it is a player tagging another player but wall tagging is the worst,  this just helps people camp more easily. 
    4.  The sniper is rendered useless due to my first point, the active down from the first one actually makes sense, otherwise why would you even pick it up. 
    5.  Spawning with a shotgun is a terrible idea, and maybe this is where the sawn-off in 3 might fix this,the whole game is a shotgun melee or its hit them with the shotgun then fire and repeat. 
    6.  The hammer of dawn while a good idea is way overpowered when someone has that on certain maps its game over. 
    7.  Whatever happened to Trueskill?  every game I seem to play now the matches are unevenly matched. 

Rant Over

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I really hope the shotgun isn't the most used weapon in Gears 3, and even more I hope that it's actually possible to kill people from medium distances with the Lancer. I hate how in Gears 2 the Lancer and Hammerburst are only useful for damaging or downing an opponent. You always have to get up close and execute them or shoot them with a shotgun. It's stupid.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I guess you didn't hear about the update a while ago where they removed Trueskill from the game. I don't think the game is as bad as before but Horde mode is still the best.

Imensae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Imensae
    @ISuperGamerI:  What I meant is that TrueSkill never seems to work
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Don't forget the bullet soaking human/locust shields, stunning melee attacks, host advantage, and empowering riot shield.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By 234r2we232

Anyone mention shotguns?

drkatz83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By drkatz83
    @Busby said:  4.  The sniper is rendered useless due to my first point, the active down from the first one actually makes sense, otherwise why would you even pick it up.  

someone that's actually in favor of  the sniper active down...i didn't think that was possible.  the active down sniper from the first game took any skill out of sniping.  all you had to do was get an active reload and then hit the person in the foot and they are down.  it encouraged nubs and idiots to just pick that weapon up and just mess with people instead of actually getting good with headshots or other weapons. 

also the point about needing to get up close to people is an entirely hollow complaint.  Warzone, King of the Hill, and Guardian (except for the guardian himself) are ALL modes where you can get kills on downed guys from distance.  If you don't like having to go up to people to kill them then just don't play Execution or Annex.  It's as simple as that.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

Yes, the long range combat basically doesn't exist, which is dumb.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By carlthenimrod

I just want the blatant host advantage fixed. That stuff is ridiculous.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By meteora

Gears of War 2's multiplayer was pretty much almost to the brink of being entirely broken... 

Not sure about now though. A bunch of things got fixed, but there's still a lot to fix in and address in GO W3.

xxDrAiNxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By xxDrAiNxx

Most of the matches i ever played, start with shotguns and end with shotguns. Maybe they should have went with shotguns as a pick up. 1 Shotgun on each side of the map maybe..?

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SunKing

Most of the bouts I have in GoW 2 involve glitching the environment cover mechanism to move faster and shotgun duelling. Also, the lancer chainsaw is now useless because of how far away you have to be to use it.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Been a while since I played Gears 2, but yeah. From what I remember it was most certainly broken. They should remove wall tagging with grenades and melee stun, both of which take little skill. I swear people picked up the sniper just to melee with it. That's really bad design. Also, the matchmaking system didn't even work right. Matchmaking was the most important thing they added for Gears 2, but it was terrible. Took forever to get matched, and you often got matched with horrible lag players.  

For the people dissing the shotgun, it's fine. As far as I'm concerned Gears of War should be changed to Gears of Shotgun. It's one of the most satisfying weapons I've ever used in a game. I don't really remember what they changed about it from Gears 1 to 2, but the Gears 1 shotgun was perfectly balanced. Amazing weapon.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Fuckin shotguns...... There should be a mode where shotguns aren't allowed.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Seriously? How can people hate the shotgun? I can understand why people hate melee then shotgun, but the shotgun itself is fine. People use it so often, because it's the quickest way to close in to get people out of cover. If there was no shotgun at start there would be no way to counter the chainsaw. It would make the game even more of a noobfest. 

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By 234r2we232

I just wish it wouldn't take 20 minutes to find a match, and with the same bunch of guys I played a match with earlier. It's as if everyone has gone back to playing Gears 1...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.