Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Stupidly purchased this off Games on Demand

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By metalmoog

Purchased this on Saturday off games on demand as an impulse buy. I should have known better. Paid $29.99 for it and received the standard version of the game although the platinum hits cover is shown. No DLC or anything extra was included. Microsoft will not refund any digital purchases, because they cannot control whether they get the content off my Xbox or not and will not issue any sort of credit so I can get the DLC off the store without paying for it. Should have just bought the retail version for the same price with all of the DLC or the Gears collection for a few dollars more. Games on Demand is a complete rip off, this is the second time I've been ripped off by this shoddy service. The last time was UFC Undisputed 2010, that came with no online code and required an extra purchase to receive that. The games are selling for the same price, if not more than the retail boxed versions yet come with no packaging, DLC or anything. This is the last time I will foolishly buy any games from this crappy service.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Did the description of the Games on Demand download state that all DLC was included?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

Platinum hits games are just games that sold well. They aren't any special edition or anything really. It's the "game of the year" or such editions of games that usually include more content, like DLC and expansion packs. 

But I do agree that Games on Demand is a sham of a service considering their prices are never wavering and never in line with sale prices both through retail and other online distribution sources. It could be a great service if they'd be willing to keep up on pricing. I guess the point is to catch the suckers that don't realize there are other sources out there, and/or impulse buyers who don't care about the price.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By metalmoog

Yeah I mean it was my fault for assuming that it would come with all of the DLC because it was the same price as the retail GOTY edition. Just lame that the price isn't reduced to compensate for their being no additional anything included. Kicking myself for not grabbing it in the store instead.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Yeah, the Games on Demand service is a ripoff. Microsoft is banking on people buying for convenience. You should know though that the platinum hits edition is not the same as the game of the year edition and wouldn't have the dlc (EDIT: as other have already said). The GOTY edition goes for $20 on Newegg right now and has free shipping.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

Yeah Platinum hits aren't all that. Make sure to always read the description.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By CosmicQueso

@AndrewB said:

But I do agree that Games on Demand is a sham of a service considering their prices are never wavering and never in line with sale prices both through retail and other online distribution sources. It could be a great service if they'd be willing to keep up on pricing.

Retail 101 - Prices get lower in stores to clear out inventory and make sure sales velocities (how many games sell) stay high enough to ensure distribution (staying on shelves instead of losing that space to other games). Because On Demand stuff is digital, there is no incentive to drop the prices. If they did drop the price on digital sales, then retailers would not be happy and remove that game from their shelves. That would defeat the whole purpose of digital to begin with, which is to provide incremental sales. The bonus is you think you're getting a deal when you go to the store and see the price is $10 less than it was on demand. It is a great service because it allows people to buy on impulse at a higher price while not hurting sales in stores.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By metalmoog

@rebgav said:

@MetalMoog said:

Paid $29.99 for it and received the standard version of the game although the platinum hits cover is shown.

Is it listed as the GOTY edition? According to the website it's $19.99 for the regular version and 800 points for the All Fronts collection.

$29.99 in Canada I guess. Another rip off considering how close the dollar is right now.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By hatking
    @Origina1Penguin said:

Yeah, the Games on Demand service is a ripoff. Microsoft is banking on people buying for convenience. You should know though that the platinum hits edition is not the same as the game of the year edition and wouldn't have the dlc. The GOTY edition goes for $20 on Newegg right now.

Actually, sometimes Platinum Hits versions do include DLC.  I can't speak for Gears of War 2, but I'm pretty sure both Forza 2 and Halo Wars Platinum Hits version do include, at least some, of the DLC. 

Anyway, yeah, this service is almost worthless.
    ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By ManMadeGod

Wait,   UFC Undisputed 2010 did not come with an online code? Did you try sending THQ an e-mail asking for one?  That is awful.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

The best thing about all this is that you could have gotten the Gears of War "Triple Pack" for the same price.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By metalmoog

@rebgav I would love to try the GOTY edition code, rebgav. Thank you very much, that's very nice of you.

@ManMadeGod Yeah I contacted THQ about the online code not being in the Games on Demand version and they told me it's up to Microsoft to provide it because Games on Demand is their service. I phone Microsoft and they said it's up to THQ to provide the code, because they published/developed the game. At that point I felt neither company was going to do anything and my resistance was futile!

@Afroman269 I discovered this after I purchased it. Shame.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By metalmoog

Update: So based on rebgav's generosity, I now don't feel as ripped off by Microsoft. He sent me a Gears of War 2 code for the DLC and it's now in my queue. Just wanted to let everyone know how amazingly generous and kind a gesture that was and it's made my day. Thank you so much rebgav. To hook up a complete stranger on a forum, what a nice person you are. Kudos to you my friend, I look forward to returning the favour!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.