Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Tai (spoiler within )

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I personally think Epic Games failed in portraying Tai as a mystic character . as far as I know religious guys never commit suicide . also Tai himself said : everything happens for a reason , if he believed in what he said then why did he choose the easiest way ?!!!!!

Also I personally did not miss him when he killed himself , in fact I felt sorry for Marcus Fenix . have you seen his face during the suicide sequence? it was the only time that Marcus was so shocked  during the GOW1 & GOW2 !

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By mordecaix7

I think it was done well.  If you think of it from this angle, he believes so whole heartedly that everything happens for a reason, yet even the locust were able to break him.  I think it was more a testament to how cruel the locust were torturing the people they were capturing.  It was so bad he completely snapped.

I was sad when he died.  Mostly because I thought he was going to be an awesome addition to the story and I really wanted to know more about him.  I'll definitely be sad if the cowboy hat guy (can't remember his name right now) dies too.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    mordecaix7 said:
    I'll definitely be sad if the cowboy hat guy (can't remember his name right now) dies too."
    his name is dizzy , yeah , we never heard of him after the second Act , he was really funny !!!!  , hope he is still alive .
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TheHBK

I didn't know what the big deal was except Marcus had lots of respect for him, so you feel for Marcus but as for me?  I didnt give a shit about tai because that fool was not in the game that long and not really given much talking time so we dont get to know what hes about.  Plus he looked more fat than muscular like Cole.  Now if Cole died, that would be a sad moment.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    TheHBK said:
    "I didn't know what the bbig deal was except Marcus had lots of respect for him, so you feel for Marcus but as for me?  I didnt give a shit about tai because that fool was not in the game that long and not really given much talking time so we dont get to know what hes about.  Plus he looked more fat than muscular like Cole.  Now if Cole died, that would be a sad moment."
    Cole is one awesome Bodybuilder lol  be sure that  NONE of the main  Delta Squad  (Baird , Cole , Dom and Marcus ) will die in future games .
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't you were necessarily supposed to care a lot about Tai but give you a reason to board all of the torture ships and stuff.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By napalm

I think Tai was a perfect example of how extreme of measures the Locust have been taking. I believe Tai was their chance to do such a thing.

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Unreal_dro
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "

as far as I know religious guys never commit suicide

"
    Thats was the whole point of that scene, to show how far the locust can push a person. 
    Tai was there too show how vicious the locust are.
    Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Joseppie
    mordecaix7 said:
    "I think it was done well.  If you think of it from this angle, he believes so whole heartedly that everything happens for a reason, yet even the locust were able to break him.  I think it was more a testament to how cruel the locust were torturing the people they were capturing.  It was so bad he completely snapped."
    I think you hit it right on the money. I think Tai was meant to be this unyielding boulder of a guy that was never phased. For him to snap, things must of been wack. Really wack.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Unreal_dro said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "

"
    Thats was the whole point of that scene, to show how far the locust can push a person. 
    Tai was there too show how vicious the locust are.
    "
    well , yeah I guess you are right
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By mordecaix7

It's alright though, it clicks immediately for some and not others.  We're all different and no movie, band, scene, game etc.. can appeal to everyone. 

As far as members of Delta Squad getting killed off, I'd like to think all bets are off come Gears of War 3.  If they plan on a trilogy format.

I've also found that instead of being excited you're playing "the game" when you play the campaign, I try to imagine myself in Marcus's, Dom's or any the Delta Squads shoes and it really pops the story for me.   SPOILER:Doing this really helped make Ben Carmine's death quite an experience. I was pissed off so much I recklessly rushed the next wave of locust I found chainsawing and tagging them Cole Train style.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    mordecaix7 said:
      If they plan on a trilogy format.

be sure that we will seeGears of war 6 on the next Xbox
    mastergiani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mastergiani

Its was a pretty awesome scene but when Marcus gave Tai the shotgun and the camera turned away from Tai for a second I thought he was gonna try to shoot Marcus.  Now that would have been awesome

electricfuzz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By electricfuzz9

this was probably one of the most powerful moments in the entire game, along with dom finding maria. i'm dissappointed now because i know that Tai will not be in any future games, which i was looking forward to.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I thought it was done very well. He was an awesome guy, so it made the impact of his death that much stronger. Personally I expected him to fall forward dead, shortly after being handed the gun, in typical movie fashion. I'm glad they went with something a little different.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "I thought it was done very well. He was an awesome guy, so it made the impact of his death that much stronger. Personally I expected him to fall forward dead, shortly after being handed the gun, in typical movie fashion. I'm glad they went with something a little different."

Tai’s suicide scene was awesome and well executed  , no doubt about it .

in fact that scene along with Cole’s intro were my favorite Cut scenes of the whole game . When I said  Epic Games failed in portraying Tai as a mystic character  I was merely referring to his character and not the cut scene ,  A person who has tattoo on his face , and claims to be religious and at the end commit suicide …….. it is just not a great combination .

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Well, I would agree with what some others have said above about how the Locust were able to completely break his character. People can have strong morals and ideals, but if you subject them to enough pain and cruelty, eventually most of them will break. Tai may have originally believed in fate, but it seems after the Locust had their way with them, he had completely lost all hope. I wouldn't say they failed in portraying him as a mystic character, but instead his suicide is a testament to just how terrible the Locusts were torturing people, which was stronger than any beliefs he may have had. Also, dude, good call on observing Marcus' reaction to Tai's suicide. Marcus had given the impression that Tai was possibly the toughest of them all, but even he was capable of falling to the wrath of the Locust.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Bennyishere

I take their characters with a grain of salt. A lot of it is just stereotypes, but I kind of like that. Like how all the Derrick drivers are rednecks... they're obviously not taking it serious. Tai was another stereotype, and his suicide went a bit against it, but I really don't care. It was a stylish scene, and that's what matters to me.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By lordofultima

Tai was annoying as all hell. Good riddance.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By insanejedi

Tai was there for the purpose of being the person who you would last think to "break" or "snap". Marcus calls him as tough as a Brewmak, and the fact that he killed himself because of the torture he went through, just shows how brutal the locust can be. If Tai broke? Who can't break?

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Psynapse

The game was done well, apart from the last boss... but thats another conversation... If you look at it from another angle it makes sense... (not going to say anything due to spoilers, as it looks like some people haven't finished the game).

Tai was portrayed well, albiet short... but then its the same for another character too (trying not to spoil again).

It looked like Tai wasn't just broken per say, it looks like he was infected with rust lung/imulsion, just like later in the game with another character, it looks as though they are infected... Like a zombie per say...

But its all open for interpretation imo.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    TheGreatGuero said:
     Also, dude, good call on observing Marcus' reaction to Tai's suicide. Marcus had given the impression that Tai was possibly the toughest of them all, but even he was capable of falling to the wrath of the Locust."
    yeah , it was the first time I had seen Marcus's  face like that , it was touching Psynapse said:
    It looked like Tai wasn't just broken per say, it looks like he was infected with rust lung/imulsion, just like later in the game with another character, it looks as though they are infected... Like a zombie per say...

But its all open for interpretation imo."
    this is a spoiler topic so we can discuss spoilers and any one who does not want to spoil would not enter this topic .
     I personally would  not say Zombie thing  becasue both Maria and Tai recognized their  friends , they were severely tortured  but still were able to distinguish persons they once loved . (by judging Marcus facial expression we can be  sure that Tai was so close to Marcus )
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By jakob187

Look, the best thing they could do...and what would make this whole fucking series ABSOLUTELY epic and infinitely awesome is this:

In Gears 3, they kill of Baird, Cole, and MARCUS!!!  Then you play as Dom...

Dood, it would be so fucking heart-wrenching, but THAT would end up making the story so much more impactful to me.  I know, I know...edgy endings are the cool thing, but the one thing that would blindside everyone would be Marcus getting dragged down by a ton of Locusts and fucking slaughtered in front of Dom's eyes.  I would shit my fucking pants from the amount of awesomeness that would offer in terms of story and impact!
    Muze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Muze

Did you guys like not pay attention to anything that the characters say? I said this in another topic, but it was a shocking thing that Tai took his own life. The Locust tortured their prisoners brutally, and the fact that someone as tough as Tai (Who Marcus said was nearly impossible to kill) would just kill himself is just insane.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    jakob187 said:
    "Look, the best thing they could do...and what would make this whole fucking series ABSOLUTELY epic and infinitely awesome is this:

Dood, it would be so fucking heart-wrenching, but THAT would end up making the story so much more impactful to me.  I know, I know...edgy endings are the cool thing, but the one thing that would blindside everyone would be Marcus getting dragged down by a ton of Locusts and fucking slaughtered in front of Dom's eyes.  I would shit my fucking pants from the amount of awesomeness that would offer in terms of story and impact!
    "
    lol  are you drunk  ?!!!  :P
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GioVANNI

I thought it was ridiculous.  They introduced Tai as a new character, one they everyone initially liked, and they kill him?  It pissed me off.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    GioVANNI said:
    "I thought it was ridiculous.  They introduced Tai as a new character, one they everyone initially liked, and they kill him?  It pissed me off."
    well Maria's death pissed me more , but that scene was damn Epic and Awesome nonetheless  , I could not believe I would see such touching and magnificent Cut scene in a Gears of War game .  Damn I love Gears of war franchise . 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By jakob187
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Look, the best thing they could do...and what would make this whole fucking series ABSOLUTELY epic and infinitely awesome is this:

"
    lol  are you drunk  ?!!!  :P"
    Absolutely not.  I mean, granted, it would fuck up the co-op, as you have to play as TWO characters, but no, not drunk.  Have Marcus get slaughtered in front of Dom's eyes.  That would make for one of the most heart-wrenching displays ever in video game history, as well as one of the most unexpected moments ever.
    It would be talked about for ages, and it would make my heart swoon.

I'm a big fan of killing off people you don't expect.  I'm the kind of guy that, if I were a writer (which once my buddy graduates from game-making college stuff, I WILL be a writer), I would kill off the characters that people like just because it would be amazing.

I would've killed off Luke Skywalker in Empire Strikes Back and made Hans and Leia have to fight the Empire.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By TomA

I don't think Tai is a good addition i agree that he didn't come across as very religious or ceremonial,partly cause he died so early.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By TomA
    jakob187 said:

"
    Or you could kill Felicia Day and then play as the evil Neil Patrick Harris...and then Joss Wheadon comes to your house and punches you in the face.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    jakob187 said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    lol  are you drunk  ?!!!  :P"
    Absolutely not.  I mean, granted, it would fuck up the co-op, as you have to play as TWO characters, but no, not drunk.  Have Marcus get slaughtered in front of Dom's eyes.  That would make for one of the most heart-wrenching displays ever in video game history, as well as one of the most unexpected moments ever.
    It would be talked about for ages, and it would make my heart swoon.

I'm a big fan of killing off people you don't expect.  I'm the kind of guy that, if I were a writer (which once my buddy graduates from game-making college stuff, I WILL be a writer), I would kill off the characters that people like just because it would be amazing.

I would've killed off Luke Skywalker in Empire Strikes Back and made Hans and Leia have to fight the Empire.
    "
    No dude , I would want to see Marcus as a live hero ,  No man  Marcus should stay alive
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By napalm
    Muze said:
    "Did you guys like not pay attention to anything that the characters say? I said this in another topic, but it was a shocking thing that Tai took his own life. The Locust tortured their prisoners brutally, and the fact that someone as tough as Tai (Who Marcus said was nearly impossible to kill) would just kill himself is just insane."
    Sometimes I wonder if people even played the game.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33  Edited By dsplayer1010

That was the point of the scene. Whatever the locust are doing to the humans is so bad, that it can completely destroy a person

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Shadow
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "

"

........what?
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheFreeMan

When Marcus gave him the shotgun, I was really thinking Tai was going to go insane and kill a ton of Locust in a brutal slaughter, but him shooting himself was definitely something I didn't expect. I was kinda liking his character and a bit shocked to see him go so early.

That being said, I was just pissed when they killed Carmine.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crunchUK

I think that you didn't really get to know him enough for his death to be tragic

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By brukaoru
    TheFreeMan said:
    "When Marcus gave him the shotgun, I was really thinking Tai was going to go insane and kill a ton of Locust in a brutal slaughter, but him shooting himself was definitely something I didn't expect. I was kinda liking his character and a bit shocked to see him go so early.

That being said, I was just pissed when they killed Carmine."
    The way the camera panned there, I thought he was going to shoot Marcus... I didn't expect it either. Carmine's death was pretty brutal.

Shadow said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:

"as far as I know religious guys never commit suicide"

........what?"
    Of course people of all religions (and non-religions) have committed suicide, but that's the whole point... Tai was so broken by the Locusts that not even his spirituality could keep him going. That just shows how much torture the Locusts gave to the prisoners.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.