Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Two-Piecing. Your thoughts?

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By AlexB

what are your thoughts on Two-piecing (melee with shotgun, then fire). Do you use it a lot. Or do you think it is cheap and a noob tactic. My thoughts are it is overused way too much and can get annoying after a while. I only use it in desperate situations.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Blu_Magic

I use it when I'm outnumbered and they're rushing me.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

I use it sometimes but I still find it hard to pull off and it isnt that cheap since you get that close you deserve to die

Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gaius

I do find it cheap if a player uses it too often, and by too often I mean all the time.  I must admit, I do use it, but only in desperate situations where I'm going to die anyway and just want to get a kill out of it.  I was more upset by all the glitches that people used more than two-piecing.

gameshark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By gameshark5

if its a tactic used every now and again its not a problem, but if people are absolutely depending on it then its lame

fatmenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fatmenace
    gameshark5 said:
    Blu_Magic said: Blu_Magic said:
    "I use it when I'm outnumbered and they're rushing me."

me 2 but sometimes i u's the sniper as a baseball bat
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Player1

Just because its a cheap tactic, its still in the game, and its not a glitch or anything. So I use it

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aaron89

The sad thing is, I almost have to use it sometimes. I can't count how many times I'm standing behind someone, or at their side, shoot the shotgun - and they turn around slowly to just kill me. The stun weakens them a bit, and lets the shot align properly (I'm guessing due to latency).

I hope they address all of these issues in the sequel. And if they do, for the most part, I won't need another game for quite some time...

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Aaron89 said:
    "The sad thing is, I almost have to use it sometimes. I can't count how many times I'm standing behind someone, or at their side, shoot the shotgun - and they turn around slowly to just kill me. The stun weakens them a bit, and lets the shot align properly (I'm guessing due to latency).

I hope they address all of these issues in the sequel. And if they do, for the most part, I won't need another game for quite some time..."
    I know exactly what you mean. Standing right behind someone firing the shotgun but nothing happening is very frustrating. At least melee you have a chance to get away if needed.
    Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hulk

Hulk use it for reasons Aaron stated above.  Whenever Hulk in laggy games he can either take his chances with standing right behind a guy and firing into him twice, only to not get a kill.  Or Hulk can just melee them once, wait a second, then fire and get the kill 9/10 times unless it's the host who will miraculously get away some times.

Hulk not so much have problem with two piece, just laggy games where the host and players near the host can just run through everything anyone throws at them, lancer, pistol, shotgun shots, and just melee them right in the face and two piece.

mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mandeponium

I find that no tactic is completely noobish. If someone's doing it a lot, I can usually stop them before too long.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I suck at it, therefore don't do it. I just shoot them with the shotgun and skip step 1. Works most of the time.

crunkmeisterJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunkmeisterJT

I feel the time for this topic has gone by, yet I am obliged to say that this no worse than sticking grenades next to weapon spawn points, or throwing smokes and hovering over people with chainsaws. Therefore, I think that it although annoying, it is a legitimate technique.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheFreeMan

If I'm close to a guy, I use it. The game has too much lag and other random glitches/factors, and I can't rely on a normal shotgun blast anymore. The melee usually ensures it, but sometimes it doesn't.

If a guy's moving up to two-piece me, and I know of it, I usually just Lancer him down while he's coming towards me. If he comes up from behind and surprises me but still fails, I generally chainsaw him.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

It's a cheap tactic, but it's the only way to get kills without getting incredibly lucky.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By turbomonkey138

its annoying but it works

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By BiggerBomb

Meh, fair is fair. I have no problem with it. All that I find to be bullshit is grenade tagging. It's fucked up.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By carlthenimrod

It's very easy to counter so I don't see how it is cheap. Just walk backwards and shoot them in the face.

halfameatball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By halfameatball

Epic made a lot of poor decisions when trying to balance gears, they really should not have changed the two piece the way they did. It would have been just fine by including stopping power, which makes it hard to even get close enough to an aware player to two piece. Instead they decided to make your character pause awkwardly and make the hit detection after a melee terrible which makes the tactic annoying to use, and therefore, the game more annoying to play.

The shotgun use to feel so good, but now it is nerfed and kind of feels like garbage. Instead of taking the power of the two piece away and ruining the beauty of that shotgun, they should have just continued to improve other tactics to stop the two piece. You don't improve a game by making weapons worse, you balance the game by making other weapons better I think. This is why a lot of people who were in love with Gears 1 are not playing Gears 2 online. Seems like Epic tries to balance their game too much and the result is the alienation of players who supported the online in the first game. I like Gears 2 and play it constantly, but if they continue this one step forward one step back approach I see more people getting frustrated and leaving the online behind.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ParanoidFreak
    mandeponium said:
    "I find that no tactic is completely noobish. If someone's doing it a lot, I can usually stop them before too long."
      The two-piece requires a lot of skill. I've played with the #24 player and he was amazing at it. He could charge into large groups of people and two-piece them all.
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kratos81
    halfameatball said:
    "Epic made a lot of poor decisions when trying to balance gears, they really should not have changed the two piece the way they did. It would have been just fine by including stopping power, which makes it hard to even get close enough to an aware player to two piece. Instead they decided to make your character pause awkwardly and make the hit detection after a melee terrible which makes the tactic annoying to use, and therefore, the game more annoying to play. The shotgun use to feel so good, but now it is nerfed and kind of feels like garbage. Instead of taking the power of the two piece away and ruining the beauty of that shotgun, they should have just continued to improve other tactics to stop the two piece. You don't improve a game by making weapons worse, you balance the game by making other weapons better I think. This is why a lot of people who were in love with Gears 1 are not playing Gears 2 online. Seems like Epic tries to balance their game too much and the result is the alienation of players who supported the online in the first game. I like Gears 2 and play it constantly, but if they continue this one step forward one step back approach I see more people getting frustrated and leaving the online behind."
    I played Gears1 online for almost a year, I was done with Gears2 in a month or 2. The Mp sucks in so many ways, that I just couldnt bring myself to play any more. I went to game crazy today and there were 20 used copies of this in the shelf, you couldnt find a used copy of gears1 for the first year. Everyone seems to hate this game for good reason.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By natetodamax
    ParanoidFreak said:
    "mandeponium said:
    "I find that no tactic is completely noobish. If someone's doing it a lot, I can usually stop them before too long."
      The two-piece requires a lot of skill. I've played with the #24 player and he was amazing at it. He could charge into large groups of people and two-piece them all."
    EIther that, or they all just sucked.
    ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ParanoidFreak
    natetodamax said:
    "ParanoidFreak said:
    "mandeponium said:
    EIther that, or they all just sucked."
      Of course they weren't on his level, he is above almost everyone in the world at the game.
    halfameatball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By halfameatball
    Kratos81 said:
    "halfameatball said:
    "Epic made a lot of poor decisions when trying to balance gears, they really should not have changed the two piece the way they did. It would have been just fine by including stopping power, which makes it hard to even get close enough to an aware player to two piece. Instead they decided to make your character pause awkwardly and make the hit detection after a melee terrible which makes the tactic annoying to use, and therefore, the game more annoying to play. The shotgun use to feel so good, but now it is nerfed and kind of feels like garbage. Instead of taking the power of the two piece away and ruining the beauty of that shotgun, they should have just continued to improve other tactics to stop the two piece. You don't improve a game by making weapons worse, you balance the game by making other weapons better I think. This is why a lot of people who were in love with Gears 1 are not playing Gears 2 online. Seems like Epic tries to balance their game too much and the result is the alienation of players who supported the online in the first game. I like Gears 2 and play it constantly, but if they continue this one step forward one step back approach I see more people getting frustrated and leaving the online behind."
    I played Gears1 online for almost a year, I was done with Gears2 in a month or 2. The Mp sucks in so many ways, that I just couldnt bring myself to play any more. I went to game crazy today and there were 20 used copies of this in the shelf, you couldnt find a used copy of gears1 for the first year. Everyone seems to hate this game for good reason.
    "
    Are you saying that is because two piecing or because of how they keep fucking the game up by changing things and making their "improvements"? I think when all is said and done, I will also be done with Gears 2 a lot quicker than I was done with the first Gears. By the way, did you play a lot of player match in Gears 1? I did and it pisses me off that they took away the custom games lobbies we use to have to choose from. That is what me and my buddies always use to go to, but now we have to play with tons of quitters in ranked matches. I don't know, they made some poor decisions.
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kratos81

The 2 piecing is not the problem for me, its everything else. I hate the match making as a whole. It just dosent work for gears, I have been a man down to many times after waiting 5 fucking min to get into the game, not to mention the teams always seem to be over stacked on one side. When I get into a game that is set up right its great, but that seems to take to long to happen.

halfameatball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By halfameatball

Agreed. Not only do I get stuck on teams without a full 5, but when I do the rest of my team seems to have been infected with the the d-bag kill stealing syndrome or no brain whatsoever. This is why I feel that it is unfortunate that they took out lobbies with hosts that could boot these people who bring the game down. Yeah there was lag and host advantage in Gears 1, but it was fun to play and you had the option of getting rid of terrible players. I don't have a clan that is able to play at all hours of the day, so it would be nice to play games with other competent individuals rather than the people I get paired with in matchmaking.

crunkmeisterJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crunkmeisterJT

The random host selection is what really annoys me though. Me, having an awful connection, or someone else who has a great connection? It always seems to choose me. This results in crappy games and me getting hate off other players. Why can't they just choose the player with the best connection. They would get host advantage, but it is still better than having me host, and not play at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.