Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Would you say gears2 Mp is broken at this point?

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kratos81

I quit playing this game due to lag, long wait times, and getting unfair teams after waiting for so long to get in a match. {usually being a man down}. I go back to play from time to time but I feel its broken, I sat for 6min trying to get in a match and then just turned it off.  Sucks could have been a great game, I dont know why they dont fix it.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Verdugo

I still play it anyways, dispite the occasional (and very annoying) lag. The wait times I don't care about, and the unfair teaming at times isn't so bad, a challenge is nice.

But, it could definitely use some improvement.

Da_Muffin_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Da_Muffin_Man

Yes, I think it is broken. On a LAN, multiplayer is great. Bullets actually hit their intended target. On xbox live though, the bullet lag is ridiculous and matchmaking is a joke. The patch didn't really help at all.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crunchUK

gears 2 never lags for me and i have a 1 megabyte connection...

personally apart from the occasional wait there is nothing wrong with it. i really can't see how you can claim it's broken

Also if you're team is bad set up a "base" beforehand with tagged nades and a good line of sight so that you can take down a couple of them once they come after you after the rest of ur team dies then run away and hide, using guerilla tactics of hitting them by surpise 1 by 1. Lead them into frag traps and bottlenecks where they have to enter single file. Difficult? yes. impossible? not at all

unless it's objective in which case just put up a mean fight, don't let them walk all over you.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kratos81

My biggest gripe is just waiting to get int to a match. It takes so long, it becomes pointless. I could deal with everything else, if I could get into a match as fast as cod4 or halo. Epic sucks.

lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By lodar011
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crunchUK

Yeah well they scared a lot of people aaway with the glitches and matchmaking times. Besides you can't hope to beat halo :D

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    lodar011 said:
    "http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/948/948352p1.html

I think that the fact Gears of War 2 is behind 2 games that came out over a year ago pretty much says it all."
    says what? that a game that appeals to a medium audiance cannot beat 2 games that sold vastly more and appeal to a wider audiance? thats not saying much regardless it says nothing about weither the multiplayer is broken halo 3's multiplayer is broken worse by those standards and so is world at war and cod4. *world at war very much so*
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I haven't played the second one, but the first one was great when I played online. This is unfortunate. Kinda reminds me of SSBB a bit on the Wii's service. 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "lodar011 said:

I think that the fact Gears of War 2 is behind 2 games that came out over a year ago pretty much says it all."
    says what? that a game that appeals to a medium audiance cannot beat 2 games that sold vastly more and appeal to a wider audiance? thats not saying much regardless it says nothing about weither the multiplayer is broken halo 3's multiplayer is broken worse by those standards and so is world at war and cod4. *world at war very much so*"
    ..wut
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Rubbing my balls on a cheese grater and dipping them in a vat of listerine is more fun than playing Gears 2 online.
    rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rerty
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "Rubbing my balls on a cheese grater and dipping them in a vat of listerine is more fun than playing Gears 2 online. "
    TRUSTORY
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    crunchUK said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "lodar011 said:

says what? that a game that appeals to a medium audiance cannot beat 2 games that sold vastly more and appeal to a wider audiance? thats not saying much regardless it says nothing about weither the multiplayer is broken halo 3's multiplayer is broken worse by those standards and so is world at war and cod4. *world at war very much so*"
    ..wut"
    What? halo 3s multiplayer is broken by the standards he put forth since its been surpassed in the top 3-4 by other games i believe including gears of war, cod4 and world at war, as for that broken by the TC is laggy and halo 3 can lag just as bad as gears of war 2 ever has.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "lodar011 said:

..wut"
    What? halo 3s multiplayer is broken by the standards he put forth since its been surpassed in the top 3-4 by other games i believe including gears of war, cod4 and world at war, as for that broken by the TC is laggy and halo 3 can lag just as bad as gears of war 2 ever has.
     "
    uhhhh

come again?

when it came out gears 2 was top of the xbox live harts then a week after it had fallen down to 2nd/3rd because of the matchmaking times and glitches putting people off
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crunchUK
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "lodar011 said:

..wut"
     "
    uhhhh

come again?

when it came out gears 2 was top of the xbox live harts then a week after it had fallen down to 2nd/3rd because of the matchmaking times and glitches putting people off
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brukaoru
    crunchUK said:
    "gears 2 never lags for me and i have a 1 megabyte connection...

personally apart from the occasional wait there is nothing wrong with it. i really can't see how you can claim it's broken."
    I do get the occasional lag, but it won't stop me from playing the multi-player entirely. I don't find it to be as bad as everyone says. I guess it's other people's loss if they find it to be so unplayable.
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kratos81
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "lodar011 said:

..wut"
     "
    I said it was broken due to the match making.  Lag is a factor but dosent happen very often. The match making is a game breaker for me.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shadows_kill

even socom wasnt that broken :P

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Why did this game get such high review scores if so many people found such a crucial element to not work?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Karmum

It STILL is broken, I don't like waiting over 5 minutes to get into a damn match. When I can actually get a game, I have no complaints. Sometimes the wait is to about 10 minutes. Not acceptable.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    shadows_kill said:
    "even socom wasnt that broken :P"
    lol yeah in imaginary world but in the real world socom was busted to the point no one could play gears 2 worked before the patches just not as well people wanted, then they fixed it with patches, and your point UK? the guy said that gear 2 was broken *its not the patches fixed it* based upon that it couldn't beat games a year old halo 3 and cod 4 but it did, and this is not a significance of it being broken, since it was NEVER going to beat halo 3 or cod4 even gears of war didn't do that for long, so trying to say a games position on the top 10 xbox live as signicant of it being broken means nothing since its no longer broken, and a game wont beat cod4,wow, and halo 3 when they maintain their lead on the top 10 regardless of most games released.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jayge_
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Why did this game get such high review scores if so many people found such a crucial element to not work?"

Money, and a bunch of overhyped sensationalist journalists?
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brukaoru
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Why did this game get such high review scores if so many people found such a crucial element to not work?"
    I can't really speak for all reviewers, but I think there are a few factors for this: The single-player was great by itself. Second, review copies must of had multi-player working so the reviewers could play it. At that time, many people wouldn't have been on the server and there probably wouldn't have been as much lag and the matchmaking system would not have taken as long either.

Speaking for myself, though, I don't find the multi-player to be as broken as everyone says, I would still recommend it to others if they enjoy this type of game.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shadows_kill
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "even socom wasnt that broken :P"
    lol yeah in imaginary world but in the real world socom was busted to the point no one could play gears 2 worked before the patches just not as well people wanted, then they fixed it with patches, and your point UK? the guy said that gear 2 was broken *its not the patches fixed it* based upon that it couldn't beat games a year old halo 3 and cod 4 but it did, and this is not a significance of it being broken, since it was NEVER going to beat halo 3 or cod4 even gears of war didn't do that for long, so trying to say a games position on the top 10 xbox live as signicant of it being broken means nothing since its no longer broken, and a game wont beat cod4,wow, and halo 3 when they maintain their lead on the top 10 regardless of most games released."
    so go back and play it. i was in the beta where people said it was "impossible to play" and i got in matches barly any lag at all and it was amazing.
    lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lodar011
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "lodar011 said:

How about you take 2 seconds to actually THINK about what it means rather than just reading a list and saying "ohh i don't see the correlation."  Gears of War 1 sold millions of copies and stayed on the top 10 most played Xbox Live games for quite awhile.  Gears of War 2 got a ton of hype, with a lot of people calling it Microsofts' #2 franchise.  Ohh and if you want to throw stats at me:

Gears of War 2: 2.3 million
    Call of Duty: World at War: 2.75 million on Xbox 360

They came out about the same time and yet Cod: WaW is #1.  That's 3 spots above Gears of War 2.  And don't tell me .45 million is significant enough to explain 3 spots.  Heck, even GTA 4, a single player focused game that featured its first ever multiplayer mode, managed to stay on top longer than Gears 2.

With the ammount of hype Gears 2 got and with it's supposedly improved multiplayer, the Xbox Live rankings actually says a hell of a lot.  Use your goddamn brain next time.
    DIABLOKU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DIABLOKU
    when gow2 first came out the multiplayer was defintely broken
    since the patch its a lot better
    but nowhere near as stable as cod or halo
    there really is no excuse for epic putting out a game with such horrible multiplayer
    when gow3 comes out ima gamefly it
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hitchenson

I wouldn't say it was broken as such.
    But I seriously don't like it anymore... The shotgun in FAR FAR too over-powered.
    Like, I really liked it before the patch, now it's back to good ole' (perfect) Halo ;]

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Death_Unicorn

It's gotten better.
    I still only play with friends. :D

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crunchUK
    Hitchenson said:
    "I wouldn't say it was broken as such.
    But I seriously don't like it anymore... The shotgun in FAR FAR too over-powered.
    Like, I really liked it before the patch, now it's back to good ole' (perfect) Halo ;]"
    its a close but not-close-enough-to-get-chainsawed weapon

just get somewhere open and and wait for them to rush you, then you can take them down with ridiculous ease

Besides it's a lot less powerful than gears 1, it sticks to its inrended range but at the same time is more reliable in said range
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By MKHavoc

I haven't had any problems since the second patch.  Multiplayer was horrible for the first three months.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By xplodedd

i think that there are just so excellent multiplayer games out there.. that playing this other then horde mode isn't really worth all the effort and frustration. 

darfvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By darfvader

nope im having fun

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lieutenant
    Jayge said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:

"
    I think it's more of the fact that most reviewers play on LAN and/or PartnerNet with their review copies.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Unless you're playing with a group of friends, the online is just rubbish.  I really, really hate it.

halfameatball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By halfameatball

Yeah, it is a little broken. It can be and hopefully will be improved. However, despite the fact it can be frustrating, I think it remains addictive and enjoy playing it with my friends.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pibo47

I am loving Gears 2's MP. The only thing i see as a problem, is the quiters, thats the only problem with this game, because assholes quit when they dont get their gamemode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.