Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Dealing with Gunkers on Insane ><

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atary77

I love me some Gears of War. So much so that I finished the two previous games on Insane difficulty. While there were plenty of moments that felt pretty high high challenge Gears 3 however in some sections just feels down right unfair at times. My one big complaint are the Gunkers. The large enemies who hurl thier mortor style snot balls that on Insane difficulty kill you instantly and should you find yourself too close to one you'll end up impaled at the end of that big stretchy arm of his.

Currently I'm stuck at one particular section in Act 1 where you're playing as Cole right after you come down from a Zipline there's one of them right next to you waiting to give you instant death the moment you hop down and there just isn't any suitable cover to protect yourself from him. Also the drudges don't help either. I only imagine these bastards causing more and more trouble in the later acts.

Any advice for dealing with these monsters on insane?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

At that part there's a corner I hid behind. I don't really know how to explain the corner, but when you hit the ground you turn around and there's a barrier type thing that I hid on and it worked. Did it my first try.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

If you neglect to shoot the red tanks you're less likely to 'aggro' the monster as early, after landing run and hide behind the cole-sized barrier.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

Theres far too many parts in that game that verge on being impossible on insane solo. Play with other people it's the only real option. If youre finding that hard wait until youre in the room with the instakill serapedes and the armoured kantuses.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Atary77

@CL60: Thanks I'll definatly have to try this.

Also I welcome any advice for hard sections to come later in the game on Insane

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

@GunstarRed said:

Theres far too many parts in that game that verge on being impossible on insane solo. Play with other people it's the only real option. If youre finding that hard wait until youre in the room with the instakill serapedes and the armoured kantuses.

That part was terrible. It took a random group I found online like an hour and half of retrys to beat that section.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

@SotoSaki: Yeah, one of the worst parts about that section and many of the other hard ones is that you can have the four most competent Gears players in the world and you're still going to fail over and over.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CaptainTightPants

I totally remember that section, even with a group it was still incredibly annoying. So find some people online is really the only advice I can give.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By strainedeyes

Insane Mode with unlimited ammor and super active reload = me not getting pissed off the whole time and still getting the achievements for it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

I played through it on insane as well without any kind of mutators, and that part was the first part to show me how hard it can get, but that's the least of your problems in the game, most of it is pretty darn easy, but the final enemy on insane for single player has to be the hardest part, and like a few other areas in the game, you'll get lucky beating it alone at the very final part of fighting myrrah depending on what you take into the battle, since for me personally there were a lot of guys spawning and I didn't have the correct weapon for the fastest way through, but I got it done.

Trust me, I wouldn't complain about this area 'cause soon after you feel it's cheap, you'll have it finished and not think so anymore, and there'll be a couple of worse moments that'll really take some luck and tactics to beat which I can help again if you'd like, one of which is when there's another gunker as you're Cole, and you're cornered at a gate just before the stadium. Anyways, when the checkpoint starts and you're going down on the zip line, make sure you shoot the red canister things to take care of the two other gunkers, then immediately after you hit the ground, roll or run to the right of you and then (since I found a video that does exactly as I did), get here.

One thing though, in this video, he goes out of cover, don't do that or the gunker will most likely kill you, just stay in cover (on what's directly ahead of him at 0:01) and take care of the smaller enemies first, and have your team target the gunker so they can kill him. By the way, I tried playing some areas on co-op after, and trust me, other than the final boss, there's not really many moments that are easier on co-op, but harder. If you really have to though, and think it's a good place to get someone else, do so. I don't brag, but I do feel pretty confident in how well I can get through games on the harder difficulties, and Gears isn't any exception, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask further.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

theres an indestructible metal corner 3 feet from the gunker that made me invunerable....try that

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By JTB123

God that bit was a nightmare, I found spotting it helped, that way it will direct its first attack at your partners, giving you time to get into a safe spot.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

@Vinny_Says said:

theres an indestructible metal corner 3 feet from the gunker that made me invunerable....try that
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Afroman269

@Resident4t said:

I totally remember that section, even with a group it was still incredibly annoying. So find some people online is really the only advice I can give.

This also you can totally cheat your way through Insane by joining games where they almost complete a chapter. If you join right before the chapter is finished you get the credit for completing it also. You don't have to play through the whole thing.

Pixeldemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pixeldemon

There is some cover to the right (as you get off the zip-line). You have to run for it, and hope you don't get randomly blown up. I had to do this section a bunch of times.

Also, I'm playing with super-reload/infinite ammo. I don't think I'd want to play insane without those mutators. At least not solo.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By ez123

It's much tougher than Gears 1 and 2 on Insane, even with 3 other people.

You can use mutators in Arcade mode if need be, super reload will take the Gunker out pretty easily.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By 234r2we232

Aren't most instances with Gunkers avoidable via shooting their emergence pods before they have chance to spawn? I remember doing that on a couple of occasions at least.

StLucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StLucifer

Tag it with a nade. Took 2 or 3 tries, but it worked.

jackshan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jackshan

Gears of War three, like its predecessors, may be a third-person shooter that emphasizes the employment of canopy and squad techniques in combat things. The player's character will carry four weapons: one pistol, one set of grenades, and 2 alternative weapons, all which might be swapped with alternative weapons dropped by fallen foes or at stockpiles throughout the sport. Most weapons feature a secondary hearth mode; the game's signature rifle, the Lancer, includes a chainsaw bayonet which will be used at shut vary to slice through enemies. When the player reloads a weapons ammunition, they need a chance for an "active reload", shown by alittle cursor moving over a line with a marked section on the player's heads-up show (HUD). If the player hits a sway button when the cursor is within the marked section, they're going to reload faster with the ensuing reload being slightly additional powerful than traditional bullets. If they press the button outside this section, this quickly jams the weapon, leaving the player vulnerable. Alternatively, the player will choose to not attempt to for the active reload, reloading the weapon at traditional speed. At times, the player will carry a heavier weapon, like a mortar or gatling gun, that slows their pace whereas it's carried.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By OldManLight

@StLucifer said:

Tag it with a nade. Took 2 or 3 tries, but it worked.

this, sounds crazy but sometimes a nade tag seems to be a one hit kill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.