Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Horde Mode

• 67 results
    Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hi_Voltg3

A group of friends and I decided that we were going to finish up a full 50 waves of horde mode no matter what. The map was Overpass which we hadn't done before. After analyzing the map and pickups we made our base and went through the first 35 waves no problem. We all died at wave 39 once, learned from our mistakes then went on to beat it and 40. Then the last 10 came and it was just crazy. Not too much of a problem then waves 45-50 came after that. This is where we started to break down. It was tough but we got to 50 eventually and we literally spent an hour alone on this wave with the bosses and everything else taking so much damage and crap. We kept getting different bosses, Corpsers, Beserkers and one time, we even had a Brumak. After about the billionth time we started doing awesome on a wave with Corpsers. With about 10 left it was me and one of my friends taking enemies out. He died about 3 guys in then it was me taking on a Corpser, Theron Guard with a torque bow and a Kantus. I ran a full circle around the map, picked up a Hammer of Dawn (thank the heavens that spawned instead of the mortar) and finished the wave. We started at like 11:30pm and finished at 3am, intense satisfaction was had and a tiring day at work today. 

TLDR: Horde mode is awesome and I've never been part of something so crazy with my fellow homies.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty

I don't like it in 3 as much. I don't know if I'm remembering it wrong but I recall 2 being more intense. On 3 it seems like you have way more waves of easyness and it gets very boring after a while. The only hard waves are the boss ones, then the difficult goes right back down for another 10 waves. Gears 2 seemed to really pile it on almost non stop.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

It really is brilliant.

Gears of War 3 is like a lovely package of amazing things that just keeps on giving. And I absolutely hate most competitive multiplayer.

@Sooty said:

I don't like it in 3 as much. I don't know if I'm remembering it wrong but I recall 2 being more intense. On 3 it seems like you have way more waves of easyness and it gets very boring after a while. The only hard waves are the boss ones, then the difficult goes right back down for another 10 waves. Gears 2 seemed to really pile it on almost non stop.

The enemy health has been tweaked significantly. Boomer varieties have significantly less health, Kantus have more, Theron Guards have less, etc.. I think the experience is far better paced than Gears of War 2, and an astounding number of enemy types, the randomness adds a ton of variety to Horde.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sooty

@project343 said:

@Sooty said:

The enemy health has been tweaked significantly. Boomer varieties have significantly less health, Kantus have more, Theron Guards have less, etc.. I think the experience is far better paced than Gears of War 2, and an astounding number of enemy types, the randomness adds a ton of variety to Horde.

I found myself getting bored quickly because of all the downtime. Intense boss wave immediately followed by 10 waves of boredom, intense boss wave...rinse and repeat.

I was able to play horde on the second game for a lot longer without getting bored. We just called it quits the other night after getting to 31.

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hi_Voltg3
    @Sooty
    I see your point in the first 30 waves but after that, it gets a bit more tough. You can always make it private and up the difficulty ;)
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

@Sooty said:

I found myself getting bored quickly because of all the downtime. Intense boss wave immediately followed by 10 waves of boredom, intense boss wave...rinse and repeat.

I was able to play horde on the second game for a lot longer without getting bored. We just called it quits the other night after getting to 31.

I think those waves do a great job at: a) giving you a little more spending money, b) giving you a bit of a stress-break, and c) instilling some undeserved confidence in your team. In either case, I think wave variations 7-9 still put plenty of skill to the test. Then, obviously, wave 10-variations are just a clusterfuck of stuff going wrong and people making terrible decisions.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By donchipotle

Horde is my favorite mode. I love how crazy it gets. Plus, seeing one dude take out a Lambent Zerker is awesome to watch.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Horde mode is amazing, I'm totally in love with it.
    Even the small rounds (#1/5 often) are fun because it allows you to scavenge or expand inbetween.

Having 4 mulchers at the ready on a boss wave is invaluable.

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hi_Voltg3

I'm down to play with others! My gamertag is Hi Voltg3. I mostly snipe and do what I can here and there in the waves while upgrading barricades. I think I'm level 6 in that now. Gotta work on the other stuff.
    hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hbkdx12

Horde mode is amazing. It's like the epitome of what a great Co-op experience is about. 

There's nothing better than having a solid team of 5 people who are committed to the cause and everyone is pulling their own weight. 

How many different boss wave types are there? So far i've seen

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By EuanDewar

Horde Morde.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Mystyr_E

I'd love Horde more if the matchmaking wasn't so shit. You're checking through 26, 000 people for 4 matches for 10 minutes?......really?

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hi_Voltg3
    @hbkdx12
    I've only encounterd the ones you've mentioned. Never heard of that group of 4 either.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas

@Sooty said:

interesting...i played it once a couple nights ago and felt the same way. I was really bored and I loved it in Gears 2. Only got to wave 19 I think before my group died due to boredom more-so than being overwhelmed I think. Not really a fan of the purchasing barricades and guns and what-not either.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Burns09

The brumack is tight

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ares42

Been playing a good deal of public Horde, and while it's fun I find the boss-waves sorta disappointing. You almost always run into the same issue they had on TNT of "are we even hurting him?", and most of the base buildings are just pointless. The whole base-thing is sorta useless in general, but I'm guess it's mostly because of public and normal. What's really annoying is how tickers and lambent just do so much damage to your fences, to the point where it's actually better to not stay in the base most of the time.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Milkman

Me and my friends tried the same thing last night. Go all the way through from Wave 1 - 50 in one sitting on Hardcore difficulty. It took us until 4 in the morning and we quit on the last wave because we just could not do it. I've never felt like such a failure.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hbkdx12
    @Hi_Voltg3: Just played some intense horde mode with some randoms. I actually got to see the group of 4. They weren't TOO bad. They showed up on round 30 for us IIRC . Too k them down quite easily as we were heavily fortified up on the balcony in thrashball

@Ares42: Ah man i couldn't disagree more. The boss battles are intense. They're plucked straight from the single player so you have to implore the same strategy to defeat them all the while dealing with the other enemies. Once you know their weakness it's just a matter of teamwork 

As far as the fences, the tickers usually come out in the earlier rounds. I personally don't even waste money until about the 7 or 8th round. In my experience the fences work wonders against the bigger enemies. I watched a 30+ level mauler get stuck in a fully upgraded level 3 fence (blue lasers) for what was about 20 seconds at the very least til i killed him. It was pretty much easy pickings. And the fence still have plenty health to boot.

@Milkman: Just had an awesome run and we were on round 40 facing a brumack just about to beat it and then "Your connection to the host has been lost". WTFFFFFFFFFF. I thought this wasn't suppose to happen on dedicated servers? >_<
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By GunstarRed

Played a ton of this today and  after a  weird start Ive decided this is much better than the Horde mode in 2. The biggest problem is people running off by themselves or attempting bayonet charges in   round 20, 25. It's frustrating to see. The best thing about the mode is that the longer you have been playing Horde the  better you will be. If youre just coming from competitive with level one barriers youre not going to get very far at all, that upgraded level 3 turret fucking destroys everything in it's path. 
    It amazes me that so many people run off and get themselves killed because they think using the Gnasher against three Boomers and two Grinders is a good idea, got to level 41 earlier and then  quitty host thing ...made me so "ARGHHHHH!"

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hi_Voltg3
    @Milkman
    Props to you guys for doing it on Hardcore though, couldn't have been easy at all.
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#21  Edited By Mystyr_E

@marioncobretti: heh, the last part, I've done that. Mainly because everyone just guards the turrets and racks up the most money leaving you with like, 200 bucks or something while they have 4000...which they use to repair their turrets :|

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ares42

@hbkdx12 said:

@Ares42: Ah man i couldn't disagree more. The boss battles are intense. They're plucked straight from the single player so you have to implore the same strategy to defeat them all the while dealing with the other enemies. Once you know their weakness it's just a matter of teamwork

As far as the fences, the tickers usually come out in the earlier rounds. I personally don't even waste money until about the 7 or 8th round. In my experience the fences work wonders against the bigger enemies. I watched a 30+ level mauler get stuck in a fully upgraded level 3 fence (blue lasers) for what was about 20 seconds at the very least til i killed him. It was pretty much easy pickings. And the fence still have plenty health to boot.

Gotta remember that I'm talking about public games :P Hell, I haven't even played through the campaign myself yet, and it doesn't seem like many of the others I run in to have either. It just ends up with these overly drawn-out battles of running around and trying to find ammo. What's ironic is that the Brumak seems to be the easiest by far, as it has no special armor. The fences do their job fine, but you even if you build them late in the cycle you can easily find yourself getting either of the zerker bosses and having to abandon base or get everything wrecked. And even then they become a liability through the early rounds of next cycle. The only really worthwhile buildings seems to be turrets and silverback, although from playing Beast it seems lvl 3 sentry might be decent too.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By DoctorTran

Me and a friend got to level thirty, We were playing with two other random people, both were competent. After the 7th time of trying to beat level 30, we all had died except my friend, and he was up against a brumak. Took him 15 minutes to kill it himself. It was pretty awesome. We gave up after that round, to play some Campaign with his roommate.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By GunstarRed

@Mystyr_E:

Yep, Thats pretty much me haha

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Sooperspy

All I have to say is, I LOVE GEARS 3!!!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MideonNViscera

@Mystyr_E said:

I'd love Horde more if the matchmaking wasn't so shit. You're checking through 26, 000 people for 4 matches for 10 minutes?......really?

Yeah, that is crap.

I played it a bit in Gears 2 with my friends, but they sucked and I did then also. I'm having a lot more fun with it in Gears 3, more due to circumstances than it actually being better.

Either way, fun fuckin time.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hbkdx12
    @Ares42: All the games i've played have been public with random people. Ironically not a lot of people on my friends list have/play the game and even the ones that do stick to the competitive stuff. There's only 1 boss wave type that i've encountered that's a real pain in the arse because they have a specific pattern to go through before you can do damage. One game i got this boss on round 10 and it took us 12+ minutes to finish the round. I would say about 10 of those minutes was just trying to take down this boss. I would hate to face that boss on level 20 or up when they have twice the health >_>

The only sentries i've ever seen and built were level one which suck obvious but looking forward to see what the upgraded versions look like. I only played one match where someone brought out a silverback but they didn't appear to know what they were doing seeing as how the whole thing went to hell in about a minute lol
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ares42

@hbkdx12: The silverback is just overpowered :P unlocked it earlier today and the next game after I made it I got like 80% of the kills/money every round, and ye the turrets suck big time. Thought lvl 2 would be decent considering it actually looks sorta high-powered, but it's not. However the level 3 (I think) seems to shoot lightning that stuns, which could be pretty handy.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By donchipotle

I joined a public game and we did the whole 1-50. It took us nearly 5 hours but it was so fun. We were cheering at the end of it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By natetodamax

I'm glad that it randomized the bosses that appear. In the first Horde game I played online our team got a Brumak and several Boomers at wave 10. It completely threw our party into disarray.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hbkdx12
    @Ares42: I now know the beauty of the silverback. :) Played horde on overpass and saved up for about 8 rounds before i bought it and when i did, i just basically cleaned house from on top of the overpass for like the next 10 rounds. It was practically unfair lol Until i hopped out to see what was in the money crate and then some jerk took it and wouldn't give it back :( Then he let it get blown to pieces by a brumack. I was so pissed >_>
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SSully

@hbkdx12: I got two brumacks with my friends today. There were 4 of us and it was only on level 10. To be fair though I think one came, we killed it, and then the other came. I couldn't be sure though because we all focused on the one as it came up on us, then next thing we knew there was one behind us.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gargantuan

The Sentry is worthless. I unlocked the first upgraded version and it sucks about as much as the regular one. Zero damage and very short range.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hbkdx12
    @SSully: 2 Brumacks? I didn't know that was possible The funniest thing about these bosses is that they actually made it so that they can clip through the environment. 

I remember i was on checkout and a brumack spawned and me and two other guys were near the checkout lanes and im like, ok sweet, there's a low ceiling here he can't come over here and i turn my right to shoot some of the regular guys and then i duck down behind cover and look to my left and there's a fuckin brumack at register 1 right next to me like he's waiting for me to bag his groceries and shit. Shooting rockets into the wall behind us like 2 feet away killing us instantly. Bastard lol
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SSully

@hbkdx12: I didn't either! It was on trenches. I am almost positive that after I killed the first one a second one spawned, but as I said I can't confirm that. I just know it was in the same round, and it was crazy.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By CenturionCajun

I too just did 1-50 with randoms however...there were only four of us. Took us nearly four and a half hours. Of that nearly an hour of it was spent on level 50. That feeling as we saw the tanks on Brumak's back burst into flames was indescribable. Can't wait to do it again.

pomeroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pomeroy

I think Gears 2's horde mode was substantially easier in ways. In any wave you could be like, "Enemy, GNASHER DEATH." As soon as wave 11 starts in 3 on casual...or normal, I know it's one or the other, the gnasher becomes almost useless.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hbkdx12
    @CenturionCajun: Just got up to level 50 with some randoms and after a bunch of consistent deaths our hopes were dashed as we earned less and less money to create any viable fortifications. The messed up part of it all is that we pretty much sailed all the way from 1-49 only losing 2 rounds if iremember correctly. 

We were on Mercy and on most of the levels, especially mercy, brumacks are the easiest boss battles. If only we had been lucky enough to get a brumack our first time out on level 50 after our level 49 win, we totally would've won it no problem. Instead we get fuckin reavers. 3 times in a row at that. Then the 4th time we get a brumack which was basically our best shot at winning but we were tapped out of money so we didn't have any fortifications what so ever and we just got raped.  Then 2 beserkers and then reavers again >_>

And i was host and it's so disheartening to have to keep pressing restart knowing ur just getting decimated and then waiting for the critical moment when the first person loses all their vigor and just quites and any chance u did have at winning becomes virtually impossible. Then another person quites. Then it's just like 3 people trying their hardest for about 20 seconds until they all just get destroyed til finally i just pulled the plug and quit back to the main menu. Damn you Gears, Damn you!
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Burns09

Lambent Zerkers man. Fuck.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By donchipotle

@Burns09 said:

Lambent Zerkers man. Fuck.

Getting a Lambent Zerker on wave 10 is a surefire way to get the party to let out a collective "Fuck". And it is always an awesome fight.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By CenturionCajun
    @hbkdx12 Yeah, we were on Sandbar and basically were kiting the entire Horde (see what I did there) or regular enemies in a giant circle around the map. We eventually earned enough money that we were able to pool it and get the Silverback up. With it going we holed up at the top of the hill and fought our way through all the regular guys. Then we just whittled the Brumak down. Didn't work on any other boss and you have to keep the Silverback in the Brumak's view at all times so he doesn't come inside. Strangely the Armored Kantus were more trouble than any of the bosses on Wave 50. They just won't die.
    hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hbkdx12
    @Burns09: I don't find them to be a problem unless they get into ur base and start tearing stuff up

I would rank the bosses like this as far as their difficulty

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ketchupp

I prefer it to shotgun in the face multiplayer.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hbkdx12
    @CenturionCajun: Honestly, Armored Kantus' are the real assholes of Horde, bar none. They require you stay on the move and restrategize until you get frags or the scorcher. AK's go down relatively quick with a frag tag but the chances that someone has one by time they show up is slim to none. I was in a group yesterday and we were somewhere past level 40 and our base was getting hit hard and there was 3 kantus at the door held off by laser wires. 1 Regular Kantus and 2 Armoured o_0. I had a boomshot and hit all them of them and the regular kantus died then as i reload my last boomshot, the 2 AK's scream at the same time and i hit them in the face with my last boomshot and they both died. Real close call cuz i wouldn't have had any other way of dealing with them and my team was on the other side of the base so if they actually got in we all probably woulda been screwed lol
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45  Edited By natetodamax

I'm getting really sick of fighting Berserkers now. Has anyone else had the 2 Berserkers appearing in every boss wave? Last night I played with some people up to wave 40 and we got the 2 Berserkers for every boss wave, and we kept getting them even when we started the wave after dying. It's just super annoying now because they really aren't that fun to fight.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cstrang

Beat level 50 (playing from level 1) yesterday afternoon on Thrashball, I think it's called. Took south of three hours, but, yeah, Armored Kanti and Serapedes were being bastards. The last thing we had to kill was a Brumak, who had been sitting outside the entire wave. It was me and one other guy still alive. I killed the Brumak with a Torque Bow shot. I think I only had a shot or two left until I was completely dry.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Burns09

You know what i say when I see two berserkers? Fuck.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sarnecki

Anybody up for some Horde mode right now?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Sarnecki said:

Anybody up for some Horde mode right now?

I am.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I really love it, and i'm not much for multiplayer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.