Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Questions they didn't answer *SPOILER discussion inside*

• 72 results
    Mike512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mike512

I am rather shocked they didn't answer these two huge questions...

1. Why does the queen look human?

2. What are the Sires?

Any other big mysteries left unanswered?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@Mike512 said:

2. What are the Sires?

How much wood can a woodchuck chuck?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Enigma777

How about what the fuck are the Locust? How does the Queen know Adam? Is she a fellow scientist ( the one who's statue you could find)? Why did you have to go get fuel from Ice T and then search for fuel again once you were at the docks?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

Even though the campaign was fun, I was hoping they would tell us.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Slaker117
    @Enigma777 said:
    Why did you have to go get fuel from Ice T and then search for fuel again once you were at the docks?
    The fuel you got from Ice-T was for the truck, which you needed to get to the docks. Once there, you needed more/different fuel for the submarine.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Book.@Mike512 said:

2. What are the Sires?

Books and collectibles.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Enigma777
    @Slaker117 said:
    @Enigma777 said:
    Why did you have to go get fuel from Ice T and then search for fuel again once you were at the docks?
    The fuel you got from Ice-T was for the truck, which you needed to get to the docks. Once there, you needed more/different fuel for the submarine.
     So what was that big tankard about then? 
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The Locust were the original residents of Sera. Something forced them underground, and through generations evolved into the nasty creatures they are now. They're just trying to take back their world.

The queen is just a copy and paste job of the boss from Unreal Tournament 3

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slaker117
    @Enigma777: Actually, I don't know. I wasn't paying a great deal of attention at the time, but it made sense in the moment. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure, and given Gears' history, I would not be surprised if there are a few stupid plots holes here and there.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269

I wonder what's so hard with accepting that the Locust were just underground indigenous species that were forced to go above ground because the humans wouldn't stop drilling for Imulsion, which then resulted in the Locust slowly getting poisoned by it. Oh wait that's right, people still like to think that Sera is Earth...*sigh*

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Afroman269: I'm telling you man, the humans of Sera are the actual aliens. Locust are the invaded

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Afroman269

@SomeDeliCook: What evidence do you have for that? I find it more plausible that both Humans and Locust lived on the planet. If the humans were aliens, then you would have at least seen some sort of spacecraft.

@Slaker117 said:

@Enigma777: Actually, I don't know. I wasn't paying a great deal of attention at the time, but it made sense in the moment. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure, and given Gears' history, I would not be surprised if there are a few stupid plots holes here and there.

If you're talking about that tankard that you were in a convoy with, it got blown up when Dom drove into it.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @SomeDeliCook said:

@Afroman269: I'm telling you man, the humans of Sera are the actual aliens. Locust are the invaded

People are jerks
    JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JokerFrown

I am curious on more Adam and the Queen backstory. I mean he says almost in passing that he just knew that the Locust were there. How he discovered them would be excellent DLC. Same goes for how Cole and Baird got the Gorasni (Read the books) to help and get there so quickly. Also awesome DLC.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Afroman269 said:

@SomeDeliCook: What evidence do you have for that? I find it more plausible that both Humans and Locust lived on the planet. If the humans were aliens, then you would have at least seen some sort of spacecraft.

@Slaker117 said:

If you're talking about that tankard that you were in a convoy with, it got blown up when Dom drove into it.

Thats just how I personally see it. The humans probably moved in from another planet and knew that Sera had the imulsion. They pushed the Locust underground (somehow) and many generations later a civilization starts to thrive all over the planet. The whole time the humans were colonizing the planet, the Locust were planning to take it all back. The Locust aren't stupid, they can talk and have a brain and obviously know how to work with what they've got (like using other creatures as vehicles or taking any technology the humans dump and modifying them to their needs). And they have human qualities. They seem like a devolved human (or maybe even evolved?) The Locust eventually turn into cave dwellers, but they're still able to live outside of the surface (otherwise I doubt they'd live very long if they hadn't been exposed to it that often) They also started invading during a human civil war, probably either thinking it was the best time to attack, thinking that the humans were doing the same thing they did to them, or maybe both. I don't know.

Oh and the Locust also had a civil war go on, almost mimicking the same thing the humans did. They're both too closely related in my eyes for them to be completely different species.

I just like to think the "badass" humans of Sera actually got what they deserved; they took over another planet, pushed down an entire species, and have their own civilization destroyed as karma.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonPixel

Gears or War trilogy plot have more logical holes than a swiss chesse, perhaps that is the appeal of it.  

unless you are big about steroid bromance

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Enigma777
    @SomeDeliCook: No, you're 100% wrong. 

@Afroman269: I know it was blown up. My point is why did they need it in the first place? 
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Enigma777 said:

@Afroman269: I know it was blown up. My point is why did they need it in the first place?

Opinions can't be wrong mate ;)

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Afroman269

@SomeDeliCook: That's not a bad theory but it just doesn't really hold water. There is absolutely no sign of the humans being able to accomplish space travel. Just look anywhere for some mention of a spacecraft. The Locust managed to thrive underground which you can explore their complex buildings throughout Gears 2. The Locust decided to make themselves known when the Humans continued to drill for Imulsion. The opening of Gears 2 supports this theory the most because of the Queen's speech about the human's hunger for Imulsion and having no sympathy for them because they brought the whole Human/Locust War upon themselves. Also, if you remember that Adam Fenix was working with the Locust to find a cure for the Imulsion problem that could benefit both species, but the Humans continued to drill for Imulsion. The Locust had enough and decided to "invade" because staying underground was no longer viable.

@Enigma777 said:

It was to fuel their way to shipyard. If the thing wasn't blown up, they wouldn't have had to go to Griffen.

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Enigma777 said:

Opinions can't be wrong mate ;)

Ya they can...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Enigma777 said:

@Slaker117 said:
    @Enigma777 said:

The big tankard was for the submarine, but it got shot up so they couldn't use to transfer any fuel.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Afroman269 said:

@SomeDeliCook: That's not a bad theory but it just doesn't really hold water. There is absolutely no sign of the humans being able to accomplish space travel. Just look anywhere for some mention of a spacecraft. The Locust managed to thrive underground which you can explore their complex buildings throughout Gears 2. The Locust decided to make themselves known when the Humans continued to drill for Imulsion. The opening of Gears 2 supports this theory the most because of the Queen's speech about the human's hunger for Imulsion and having no sympathy for them because they brought the whole Human/Locust War upon themselves. Also, if you remember that Adam Fenix was working with the Locust to find a cure for the Imulsion problem that could benefit both species, but the Humans continued to drill for Imulsion. The Locust had enough and decided to "invade" because staying underground was no longer viable.

Either way, humans are the REAL villains. =D

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Afroman269

@LiquidPrince said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Slaker117 said:
    @Enigma777 said:

The big tankard was for the submarine, but it got shot up so they couldn't use to transfer any fuel.

Too bad the guys didn't realize they could have found fuel at the shipyard then. Hobo-Dom would have still been alive then...

@SomeDeliCook: Agreed.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Afroman269 said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Slaker117 said:
    @Enigma777 said:

Too bad the guys didn't realize they could have found fuel at the shipyard then. Hobo-Dom would have still been alive then...

@SomeDeliCook: Agreed.

Hey man, don't fuck with hobo Dom's tomatoes.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

SPACE TRAVEL

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Slaker117
    @Afroman269 said:

Nah, dude had a death wish. He would have found a way to get himself killed regardless.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Afroman269
    @LiquidPrince *radishes.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Enigma777
    @SomeDeliCook: It doesn't come down to opinion. There's official story cannon that directly contradicts what you think.  

@Afroman269: Right, the tankard was for the sub, but it blew up so they went to Griffin to get more fuel, which then Slaker said was for the truck not the sub otherwise why would they need to search for fuel again at the docks? It just doesn't make sense...
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Afroman269 said:

@LiquidPrince *radishes.

No, tomatoes... Play through act 1 again.

DrLariat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By DrLariat
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Slaker117
    @Enigma777: I could be totally wrong about the fuel for the truck. I don't remember how it goes down exactly, but that's how I made sense of it. Maybe Griffin just didn't give them anything after getting his tower fucked up and that entire detour was a waste of time.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Enigma777
    @Slaker117: I dunno. I know they said their truck ran out of fuel as they reached Griffin's town, so they must have gotten some fuel from him.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Slaker117
    @Enigma777: Ok, so let's break this down, then.

Drive to Mercy with tanker to get fuel for sub.
    Mercy fuel station is down, try to get it up again, end up blowing it and losing the tanker.
    Drive to Char, run out of gas.
    Meet Griffin, get gas from him.
    Drive to dock, find fuel for sub.

That right? Seems reasonable to me.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By NickL

@Slaker117: That's exactly how I interpreted it. Only weird bit is that once they make it to the docks they seem to know somehow that there is fuel somewhere in there. That confused me.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Enigma777
    @Slaker117: The problem is that they mention both Char and Mercy as viable places to get sub fuel from and you definitely get fuel in Char, so why do you have to search for more at the docks again? And if they knew there was fuel at the docks in the first place why even bother going to the other places at all?  

I dunno. If they had replaced the "Find fuel" checkpoint at the Docks with something like "Find batteries" or something, I wouldn't have this problem. Maybe I'm overthinking it... 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slaker117
    @Enigma777: Hell, I don't know.

Razorhail.
    Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Unilad

Okay, I could be completely wrong here. But when the Queen rides into the tower on Tempest, she shouts "you've been a good SON marcus.. yada yada yada" The important part is she says SON. Is there any chance that Marcus was the son of the Professor and the Queen before she was the Queen?

Perhaps she was just seriously into her human rights and rallied for the locust eventually taking the position of Queen, whilst Marcus's Dad tried to solve the issue scientifically.

Marcus just wanted to kill.

My other theory related to the Pendulum Wars (or some preceding conflict). Clearly the Pendulum wars are mentioned here and there. Did the side who lost those wars get pushed underground, only to emerge later?

I don't know...... what I do know is... that the Dom death scene was epic... and the end scene with Marcus was lame and the BIGGEST question of all was left unanswered, how did Marcus get that scar?

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

The implication was that Adam Fenix's anti-Lambent device was going to kill the Locust as well because he was unable to find a solution that would kill Lambent but save both Locust and Humans, right? That's why Queen Myrrah got angry and attacked the humans to stop him?

So if that's correct then did anyone else find it odd that in the final cutscene they show you several scenes of Lambent dying off but never show a single Locust dying? I figured they're pretty much committing genocide against the Locust and that's a significant part of the ending but it seems to be oddly left out.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Undeadpool

@Afroman269 said:

I wonder what's so hard with accepting that the Locust were just underground indigenous species that were forced to go above ground because the humans wouldn't stop drilling for Imulsion, which then resulted in the Locust slowly getting poisoned by it. Oh wait that's right, people still like to think that Sera is Earth...*sigh*

No Caption Provided

IT TURNS OUT IT'S MAN!!

But yeah, I agree with you that humans found Sera, colonized it, then started to drill for immulsion which exposed the Locust to it, which gave them lambency, which forced their queen to contact Adam Fenix, but since he couldn't help them fast enough, they invaded the surface to retake their planet.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Afroman269

@LiquidPrince said:

@Afroman269 said:

@LiquidPrince *radishes.

I think you need to play through Act 1 again. (skip to 10:30)

@Undeadpool: Sera is more like fictional Earth. There wasn't any tech that allowed the humans to accomplish space travel so it's more likely that the humans have been there from the start and it just so happens that there were molemen living beneath their feet. As to why the Locust decided to meet humans just because they started to be a nuisance instead of greeting them way earlier, well, I'll just chalk that up to the Gears universe being ridiculous...or maybe the Locust are just anti-social.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@LiquidPrince said:

@Afroman269 said:

@LiquidPrince *radishes.

No, it's both.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slaker117
    @FunkasaurusRex said:

The implication was that Adam Fenix's anti-Lambent device was going to kill the Locust as well because he was unable to find a solution that would kill Lambent but save both Locust and Humans, right? That's why Queen Myrrah got angry and attacked the humans to stop him?

So if that's correct then did anyone else find it odd that in the final cutscene they show you several scenes of Lambent dying off but never show a single Locust dying? I figured they're pretty much committing genocide against the Locust and that's a significant part of the ending but it seems to be oddly left out.

Check again.
      Pretty sure the Locust dying at 4:39 and a few other shots after that aren't Lambent.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Undeadpool

@Afroman269said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Afroman269 said:

@LiquidPrince *radishes.

@Undeadpool: Sera is more like fictional Earth. There wasn't any tech that allowed the humans to accomplish space travel so it's more likely that the humans have been there from the start and it just so happens that there were molemen living beneath their feet. As to why the Locust decided to meet humans just because they started to be a nuisance instead of greeting them way earlier, well, I'll just chalk that up to the Gears universe being ridiculous...or maybe the Locust are just anti-social.

Do you know that for a fact or are you pontificating? Cause I always thought they landed on the planet and found this incredible fuel source, then the Locust showed up after the colony was well-established, so a planet-wide evacuation would've been impossible/impractical.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Afroman269

@Undeadpool: It's not stated clearly in the game but I remember Cliff being asked similar questions about what Sera is supposed to be. He basically just said that Sera is humanity's homeworld. There are also many references to the whole war being humanity's last stand. That would not have been the case if Sera was just a colony planet.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Undeadpool

@Afroman269: HUH! Very interesting! Also kinda changes the dynamics of the game...makes me want to go back to the first and play through with that in mind.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Shadow

Both of those questions can be answered by:

Locust are people too

I believe the original ones were mutated humans brought to you by Adam Fenix

I've always assumed the Locust queen was Marcus's mom who Adam tried to save from cancer (or something similar) by turning her into one.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Afroman269

@Undeadpool: Ya same. EPIC really stepped their game up in the storytelling department with Gears 3, so much in fact that I want to digest more Gears fiction. Pretty crazy stuff, but I do like how any theory out there still makes the out the humans to be total assholes.

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

@Slaker117: I guess you're right. I thought those were all Lambent the first time I watched it but now I do see a few scenes that looks like they could be Locust.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Burns098356GX

@Shadow said:

Both of those questions can be answered by:

Locust are people too

I believe the original ones were mutated humans brought to you by Adam Fenix

I've always assumed the Locust queen was Marcus's mom who Adam tried to save from cancer (or something similar) by turning her into one.

Elaine Fenix didnt die of cancer. She was found dead in the Hollow under Jacinto while she was working, she was a biologist specializing in mutation. Its possible this is the first encounter with the Queen and Adam Fenix.

From what I gathered throughout the three games is that the Locust have always been underground, juding by their structures. Plus theres a childrens story about boogey men taking kids away underground, urban legen type stuff.

The Sires were early stages of eveolution Locusts. Like a neanderthal is to a human.

The Locusts became aware of the lambent infection, and needed to flee the underground, to do so they had to invade and kill humanity. Or another theroy is that the Queen wanted Adam to find a way to kill the Lambet problem, but he couldn't so they decide to commit genocide on humanity. Which would make sence when she says 'humanity brought this war upon itself'...for not being able to help them.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Afroman269 said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Afroman269 said:

@LiquidPrince *radishes.

He doesn't bitch about the radishes... He gets fucking pissed when his tomatoes get destroyed though... and no, I've beaten the game twice, and am currently playing on insane, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Casey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Casey25

Here's what i've gathered from reading posts on the epic games forums, but by all means i'm not the script writer at epic so cut me some slack. (tldr at bottom)

The facility you find in the middle acts of GoW2 housed the sires (sire meaning forefather of locust). These were the first people (immulsion miners) infected by immulsion that the cog discovered. They captured them and did research on them without letting the public know. Eventually (for reasons i cant remember) they decided to release most of the "children" into the mountain cave mentioned by the recording you find in the facility. Queen Myrrah was probably one of the scientists that was somehow mutated to slow her aging, and she took the "children" to live underground. We don't know how old the facility is (nor the planet sera's history), so a lengthy period of time could account for the insane growth of the locust horde underground.

Adam Fenix probably knew about the facility, which would explain his knowledge of the locust and of Myrrah.

There's a lot of magic-science here involving immulsion. It consists of living organisms or something, and can crawl around the ground in the liquid state as seen in Gears 2 once you actually see lambent locust die.

Power-hungry humans kept drilling for fuel, and this may have shaken up living conditions underground. This may have agitated the immulsion somehow or maybe just introduced it to locust habitation. Locust started turning lambent.

The horde emerges from underground and tries to take control of the surface - to live there, away from the immulsion and lambent creatures. Also i guess the queen captures Adam Fenix because she knows him and tries to find a long-term solution through him.

The cog don't like this. They just fought a huge civil war and now emergence day came. Their only way to fight back is to use the Hammer of Dawn, which Adam Fenix made during the Pendulum wars in sort of a Cold War-style nuclear bomb threat scenario.

They tell people to evacuate cities before they nuke them with the hammer of dawn to kill off the locust, but not all make it out. Some survive as "Stranded" and those people hate the cog for all the destruction they brought and for abandoning them.

The cog just wanted to kill as many locust as they could, but ended up destroying most of civilization. Their back up plan was to build a Rapture-style island that was inaccessible to the outside world so that the great minds of the world could return civilization to the world after the war. They underestimated how far the locust horde's reach was, however, and they all were slaughtered. All of humanity's attempts at fighting the locust only made things worst for both sides, while the immulsion problem was the real threat that Adam Fenix was trying to solve. And if not for Delta squad's timely arrival on the island, the locust probably would have survived to kill off the rest of humanity with the lambent threat removed.

So tldr:

Humans want immulsion for fuel, but find out it fucks up people exposed to it. THey make some of these people but move them underground with a lady scientist who becomes the queen. Over time they become the locust horde, who want to control the surface because being underground with evolving living immulsion sucks. The cog says hell no we'll just destroy everything to stop you (who we secretly created) but only fucks up the planet more. Adam Fenix builds the Tower of Win in a deus ex machina moment that kills lambent and locust rather than just lambent. Humanity survives to rebuild, and Marcus gets the girl. The End.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.