Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

Twenty five years have passed since the decimation of the Locust & Lambent threats on the planet Sera. However a new race of monsters have taken their place and JD Fenix, son of series protagonist Marcus Fenix, has taken up the mantle in helping to protect humanity.

Gears 4 first?

B_Lee17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been a Playstation user exclusively since the PS2 and therefor have missed out on a lot of Xbox exclusives. I recently bought a decent gaming computer (i5 6400, GTX 970) and I have always been interested in the Gears of War franchise. My question, would Gears 4 be a worthy first time experience into the series or is the lore of the previous games necessary. Thanks!

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jump in. You can follow the story without playing the other games and even if you don't end up liking the narrative, the gameplay is still great.

B_Lee17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assumed I would jump in and have a blast with it. I just wondered how many of the "big moments" of the game that Jeff talks about are directly tied into old story lines that maybe I wouldn't get.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@b_lee17: There are character reveals that would have more of an impact if you knew who they were and you should probably go look up what the ending means fully when you are done. Even I had to do that. The story focuses mostly on the new characters and only one older character is in it for the majority of the game.

The main plot is the slow uncovering of a mystery that should still be rewarding even if you haven't played the previous games.

If you are really worried, go read a synopsis of the previous games.

B_Lee17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By OldManLight

the first 10-20 minutes of gears 4 kinda acts as a "previously on gears of war" and for more info you can hit up a lore video and have them explain what happened in those games if you're interested in further explanation. If you do decide to get into the versus multiplayer, just know that it's a very different game from the campaign and the people who are good at it have been playing it for a long time so don't let that get you frustrated. there's a good post on the boards with good tips for beginners and even people like me who have played all of the games thus far. Hope you have fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.