Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

Twenty five years have passed since the decimation of the Locust & Lambent threats on the planet Sera. However a new race of monsters have taken their place and JD Fenix, son of series protagonist Marcus Fenix, has taken up the mantle in helping to protect humanity.

Gears of War 4 feels like it belongs at the end of the 360's life, rather than an Xbox One game.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It looks like they made it on UE3, the texture detail is poor, the level design is very last gen.. there is not much detail and everything looks very polygonal and gamey, rather than something that feels more natural. The animations are poor, the facial animations are so old, UE3 always had bad character models and facial animation, even HL2 beats it here still.

I don't get how they could make a game that feels so old in 2016? It belongs in 2013 on the 360...

Also so far I've seen no innovation when it comes to the gameplay, the A.I feels exactly the same and they've put me in all the same scenarios for the first few hours. I watched those early trailers and was hoping for something a bit up to date... but no i'm bored, I feel like I've done this already.

I find it crazy that Sony could launch something as amazing as Uncharted 4, but Microsoft's best is Gears of War 4, hey look a generation apart graphics wise. What I loved about Uncharted 4 is it felt like they got rid of most of the boring shooting. I hated Uncharted 1 - 3, 3 was the first one I liked because it just felt like they gave you an out from the boring combat. To me it made it feel fresh, I felt like I could finally stand playing those games. However Gears of War 4 does nothing like that, so while I liked Gears before, I feel like Iv'e been there, done that and I was bored of this game by 3.

I'm so disappointed in it, I don't want to play any more... it's like Halo 5 and Forza, there seems to be no new ideas.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Casepb

Sounds like third person shooters just aren't your thing to me.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Loading Video...

Most people don't really agree with you.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I'm not one to throw out the blanket "You're Wrong" statement, I usually like going more in-depth and providing a nuanced counterpoint, but this is... duder you're wrong.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: I don't look at that video and see a good looking game, I just see something that looks like a sharper Gears 3..

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reads like a troll post, yeah?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ds9143: I wouldn't say that, maybe the OP has played all of the past gears games and just isn't seeing the progress from one title to the next. Sometimes it can benefit to skip one of the sequels and come back to franchises later to see if they are doing anything new that catches your interest. I find myself doing that with call of duty, maybe consider something like that @nagafen

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By DharmaBum

Wow, talk about hyperbole. I can't imagine not being visually impressed with Gears 4.

Also, Uncharted wishes it could have mechanics as good as Gears.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoOzak

Weird, my problem with Uncharted 4 is it felt like a movie. I was happy with how "gamey" Gears of War 4 was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's quite the stretch to refer to NPC's as AI.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By csl316

I dunno, man, they didn't advertise it as some revolution or anything. Pretty much what I expected, and luckily I still find these games to be a whole lot of fun. Just like I still enjoy 2D platformers and Tetris, but think that Uncharted 4 was a slog (despite liking 2 and 3 when I replayed them recently). And loved Halo 5 and Forza.

And the tech side is subject to opinion, I suppose.

Sounds like it's not for you.

Lucifunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks very good on a 4k tv with HDR on a One S. Runs nicely also.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think OP is being melodramatic but also isn't all that wrong. Gears 4 is another Gears game with better weather effects, not the step forward or change-up I was hoping for.

It's difficult for me to get excited about games like Uncharted and Gears 4 which were overstaying their welcome to me even last gen.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I can see where OP is coming from. From what I've seen, I can grasp that it's a very technically-impressive title but the art style still doesn't do much for me. I wasn't a big fan of designs in the previous games and hey, guess what, Gears 4 is the fifth one of those and there are some more polygons there.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

You think Uncharted 4 was some wildly different game but this isn't by comparison? Yeah, no man.

I think OP is being melodramatic but also isn't all that wrong. Gears 4 is another Gears game with better weather effects, not the step forward or change-up I was hoping for.

It's difficult for me to get excited about games like Uncharted and Gears 4 which were overstaying their welcome to me even last gen.

Except he held up Uncharted 4 as a counter example.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Horde mode is the reason you play these games and it seems like they've improved upon it (I haven't played it). I mean, it's not going to revolutionize the gaming scene like the first game did, but whatever.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When was the last time you played Gears of War 3? Maybe that has something to do with it.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They went out of their way to make it look and feel like the other Gears games and they succeeded. Also, I thought the cutscenes actually looked pretty amazing. It didn't look like there was facial capture, but they were still very well animated.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BurBan_Snake

well.. I guess i'm less upset about my error?

bought this on disc today to surprise my father with, didn't realize play anywhere was exclusive to digital.

RIP

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

Horde mode is the reason you play these games and it seems like they've improved upon it (I haven't played it). I mean, it's not going to revolutionize the gaming scene like the first game did, but whatever.

I think the majority of people that play Gears these days do so for the competitive multiplayer, which incidentally has become and extremely insular community. There is always that first week when you can do fairly well in deathmatch and then it's back to getting completely dominated by cover hopping, shotgun ninjas.

What personally broke me in this post was the comparison of Gears 4 character models to HL2. If HL2 in this case is Half-Life 2 then I dunno man, we all have opinions but.. I just dunno.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

It plays it safe, but I've been having fun with the single player so far. I guess if you went and played all the Gears games together it probably would seem rather old school, though for me I'm enjoying returning to Gears after some years. Even if the Windows Store sucks balls and doesn't download updates properly.

Haven't touched Horde or Versus yet however.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I wrote a whole long thing, but decided to delete it all. I'll just say that I disagree with every one of your points.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By OldManLight

idk buddy, i'm playing on PC (but have briefly looked at it on Xbox One too) and it looks and plays fantastic. I'm running it on the Ultra Preset with my R9 390, FX 8320, and 16gb of RAM and i'm getting a solid 60 fps at 1920x1080 through campaign, horde, and multiplayer. Every once in a while i get a minor hiccup but it's barely noticeable. The game definitely doesn't try to reinvent the wheel in terms of gameplay or level design and plays extremely similar to gears 3 but that's not really a bad thing since i loved gears 3. If you want a good experiment for comparison, go load up gears 3 via backward compatibility or on your 360 if you still have one and witness the power of rose colored glasses. Gears 4 is sharper looking and more detailed than and a just as tight of playing game gears 3. That last part is the main thing people seem to care about. When judgement came along and messed with what people liked, people were outraged. Plus who nixes horde from a gears game?

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it looks and plays fantastically. It also has a murderers row of content, modes, options, customization, and couch co-op. I couldn't disagree with the OP more. Gears 4 might give Doom a good fight for my GOTY.

chiefbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gears 4 mp is really fun too it blew my expectations out of the water...i feel like its more about refinement than innovation in this case

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you should go back and reassess what 360 Gears games actually looked like. Otherwise it's no sweat off anyone's sack if you don't like it.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't generally like Gears and have only played a few hours of the campaign but the game looks fantastic. Sure, the gameplay isn't all that different but it was already probably the best TPS out there and that doesn't seem to have changed.

I haven't played UC4 but I've seen a ton of gameplay footage and none of it looked all that different from past Uncharted games.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see what OP is saying, I played gears 1 a dozen years ago and thought it was a fun trifle to while away a an afternoon and have no interest in playing that game every again. Gears 4 appears to be that game again, just like all the other Gears games. However I feel the exact same way about the Uncharted games. Played 2 til the blue people, thought it was ok, will never play another again, thought 4 just looked like another one of those.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I mean, I can agree that the level design is very similar to the other Gears games, but I didn't really expect a drastic departure in that respect. Now as far as the visuals go I have to heartily disagree with you. I'm playing on a 970 and this game is fucking beautiful.

Examples taken while playing from my own rig.

Edit: Weird, the site seems to have blurred out the pictures slightly. When I took them, as well as uploaded them, they were a lot crisper. Keep that in mind I suppose.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.