Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

Twenty five years have passed since the decimation of the Locust & Lambent threats on the planet Sera. However a new race of monsters have taken their place and JD Fenix, son of series protagonist Marcus Fenix, has taken up the mantle in helping to protect humanity.

My physical copy of GoW4 is downloading all 54gb. :D

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BurBan_Snake

Disc based gaming makes even less sense now than ever. I purchased this as a gift/surprise for my father who is a huge fan of gears. I imagined popping in the disk, downloading the day1 patch and playing throughout most of the night together. Unfortunately it seems Gears has a different plan, as we're now three hours deep into a 54gb download for my disc based game. Let this serve as a warning to anyone considering buying physical.

Also, anyone have any idea how to circumvent this? It's incredibly frustrating, even with a very good internet connection (downloading at 16MBps, pretty much as fast as steam)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, games these days install to your hard drive. You buy a physical disc, it installs and still requires a disc. So I don't believe that 54 gigs is all a download.

I think the patch itself is 11 gigs and it's fairly slow today for just about everyone.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@burban_snake: Yeah sound shitty man. I don't see it going away either given how things keep going. WWE 2k17 has a 11 GB day one patch.

Can't see any way around it either. Maybe sneak in and pre-load the surprise gift next time...

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: I understand thats typically how it is, but just based on the install time sitting at over 3 hours now and only being at 50%, I really am not convinced at this point that its not just whole hog downloading

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoOzak

I know someone who had this problem with The Division and ended up with two seperate versions. One downloaded and the other installed from disc. Unfortunately they couldnt access the downloaded version without the disc. I'm not quite sure how it happend and it sucks that it did. Personally I didnt have this problem but if it happens again (with another game) I recommend stopping the download deleting it and trying again.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's weird, I don't have an XONE but if this happened to me, I would try to stop the download, delete it, unplug the console from the internet, then let the game install from the disc, plug the Xbox back in the internet and then update the application. Either way, this situation sucks, definetely seems like an unintendet behaviour on Microsofts part!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That's modern AAA gaming for you. Never buy a game expecting to play it in the same hour that you put it in the console.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switch your Xbox to offline if your internet is slow. The game will be trying to install from the disc and at the same time downloading the 11GB day one patch which slows both tasks down. If you switch it to offline, it will install the game off the disc, then switch it back online and download the patch. It's quicker that way for some reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can't you start playing before the download completes?

Napstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never seem to really have this problem, on the PS4. Most times when I put in a disc I can play it right away. I do hate having to occasionally delete certain games because the HDD is full.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Oversight in Xbox One OS design on how it manages games.

Its really weird they have not fixed this yet.

chaoskiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, same with WWE 2K17. Popped in the disc, 49GB install. Then I had to download a 11 GB patch.. Luckily there was a "you can play now" thing which wasn't just an install progress screen.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember a couple of years ago when people were outraged over the idea of a day one patch. Oh how the times have changed.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

That latest update of gears of wars 4 on pc not only required the original 80 gb for the game install but another 80 gb of space to patch for a grand total of 160 gb. I think it eventually deleted the other half after the patch but even still its sorta ridiculous.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I just said fuck it, left it installing and it finished a total of around 7 hours later. That's definitely a download, not a disc install. When I swapped to offline mode, the installation simply stopped, and wouldn't resume until i went back online.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

Doom started doing this when I first put the disc in, but I cancelled it, took it out, put it back in and it just installed normally and only downloaded the patch.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My copy installed off the disc and didn't download anything until I tried to start it and it told me it needed and 11GB update.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I just said fuck it, left it installing and it finished a total of around 7 hours later. That's definitely a download, not a disc install. When I swapped to offline mode, the installation simply stopped, and wouldn't resume until i went back online.

54GB shouldn't take 7 hours if you're downloading at 16MB/s like you said, that should take about an hour. Unless you meant 16Mb/s which is about 2MB/s which would take roughly 8 hours. So maybe you meant that, but if you meant the former it seems like something's wrong with your Xbox's HDD or something.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By RetroMetal

XBox One disc installs have historically been really slow.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: I've got 150Mbps down. 16MB/s download speeds. Honestly, I dont know why it took so long, but damn it we finally got to play today and it was a good time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.