Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

Twenty five years have passed since the decimation of the Locust & Lambent threats on the planet Sera. However a new race of monsters have taken their place and JD Fenix, son of series protagonist Marcus Fenix, has taken up the mantle in helping to protect humanity.

Pre-Load Windows 10. Need help

TheOddMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just bought the ultimate edition and really would like to pre- load the game before the release but i have no clue where to look to download it or how to access it onece its there, this xbox app on Win10 is just horrible and any help with this would be appreciated

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

go to the windows store >search for gears of war 4 ultimate edition >look for a button labeled "manage" > then you should see gears with a button containing an arrow pointing down, click that to start the download

I also had trouble finding the download button. It seemed like it was more trouble than it was worth downloading the game. >_>

Darkecho117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't messed around with the windows store in awhile. Can you still not choose where to download and install stuff? I have really limited space on my windows install drive on my SSD and I'm worried it will force me to use my main drive

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@darkecho117: From the Start menu, go to Settings / System / Storage. You can change the drive there!

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can definitely choose where to install it.

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boo... I should've looked into that before download the 70gigs

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@par1val: If you click Manage and then click the Download arrow in the apps list, you get a pop-up window that asks you to choose an install location. At least I did.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Hey folks I bought the standard edition on pc and I know I won't be able to play it till next week. However I did notice once I purchased it was immediately pre-installing on one of my drives. Long story short I didn't have enough space for the massive 70 gb install on that drive so I stopped it and changed the drive installation to another one. Now I'm receiving a, "try again later, something happened on our end" error code. Is this by any chance happening for anyone else and is their a fix, or should I chalk it up to their servers getting hammered right now?

Darkecho117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darkecho117

@fram: ah I figured as much, just didn't see last time around

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@i_stay_puft: The whole "buying games from the Windows store" experience is honestly still pretty fucked. You'll get that error over and over again, but eventually it should start downloading. My download is currently stuck at 2,47 MB and don't really know why.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

@i_stay_puft: The whole "buying games from the Windows store" experience is honestly still pretty fucked. You'll get that error over and over again, but eventually it should start downloading. My download is currently stuck at 2,47 MB and don't really know why.

I've had no issues with it. Are you all up to date? In my experience most people complaining about Windows 10's stuff aren't running the latest update. The store has changed a lot since August so if you aren't up to date you'll likely have issues.
    That said, it does seem a little shaky. Fucked is maybe strong. I can understand being frustrated as I had a similar level of frustration before they overhauled the W10 store, but when the stuff works it works really well and it doesn't seem like it's as widespread as issues were before.
    Launching games is easy and smooth, fullscreen stuff works nicely for my multi monitor setup, and download speeds are stupid fast, taking COMPLETE advantage of my gigabit connection something even Steam can't come close to doing.

I forget what it was but there's a simple fix to kind of "flush" the windows store app if there are issues that worked well for me in the past. Look into that if you're struggling.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@opusofthemagnum: Yes I am running all of the latest software versions and drivers. I was able to get the download going this morning by enabling Windows Defender (I've had it disabled because I use F-Secure).

I was almost feeling positive, but then I decided to uninstall Killer Instinct and re-download it to a different hard-drive. Now I'm getting a whole new error with that game and am unable to install it. Also, moving games between hard-drivers doesn't seem to work without re-downloading the whole thing.

daemonblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Do not pause the download, it tries to re-download from scratch.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Windows store really did not like it when I tried to pause and resume the download. It's fucking infuriating when you're downloading a 70GB+ game with no way to cap your limited download speed. I don't understand how Microsoft is so far behind Steam and Origin with this stuff. Maybe the store was never meant for such huge files, but with the introduction of crossplay, you would think they would have their shit together by now.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I have installed and even played the game. Now, when trying to download the 2MB update it wont install because it says I don't have 80GB of space, as if it's trying to download the whole game. Again. Is this a common problem?

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: I couldn't even get it to run. Turns out it only downloaded 21.3 GB of data, even though it was downloading for more than 16 hours. Couldn't get past the very opening title screen, and it started messing up my desktop, as well. After trying to launch the game, it would make it to where my settings window wouldn't load, and eventually my start menu wouldn't pop up. Restarted 3-4 times, no changes. Eventually had to uninstall. Figured, "I'll just re-download, and play Mafia 3 while it does.", but both games are on the same ssd, so it was causing Mafia to stutter badly every few seconds. So, I just stopped the download, and just downloaded it to my Xbox. Gonna try to re-download tonight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.