Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 07, 2006

Gears of War is a tactical cover-based sci-fi shooter from Epic Games. The player controls Marcus Fenix, a COG soldier who fights the Locust aliens defending their home planet from the encroaching Human invaders.

Playing it for the first time, I think I waited too long.

Doc_Zaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Doc_Zaius

I've just started playing it and I'm struggling to see what the fuss was about.  Maybe it's because I've seen graphics I like better on so many other games.  The dark and muddy gears world is just so-so and it's just a run through hallways to meet the next group spawn point.  I thought there would be more to it in terms of the game design. 

That said, I do love the roadie run and active reload.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deskp

dont think you waited to long i just think you read to much about it before you played it

MadMatr07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MadMatr07

I actually played it when it came out but just yesterday started playing it because I got a new lcd tv. I forgot how awesome this game was!

LM101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LM101

Loads od people still play it online so i dont think you waited too long, i actually might go back to playing online as i cant wait for gears of war 2. :)

Avatar image for missilewarriorz
    MissileWarriorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MissileWarriorz

i think you waited way to long this game is amazing even up to now

Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Met2609

I really like the game. It's pretty straightforward: You shoot guys, move on, shoot more guys, etc. For some reason, it all comes together very well. And, or course, it's still one of the best looking games on 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont like the game at all. But i can see why some people love it.

Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pikachu

I don't think you waited to long, there's never really any limit to how long you can wait before you deicide to finally start playing a game

Doc_Zaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doc_Zaius

well, my point was that I waited too long because it was probably a bigger a bigger surprise graphically when it came out and now a lot of other games have built on Gears example.  It still is very impressive, though.  As I move through the game more I am more impressed with the look of it.

I think it is very weird that it is about a bunch of thick-necked jock types like those who probably beat up people on the Epic team in high school.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Player1
    deskp said:
    "dont think you waited to long i just think you read to much about it before you played it
    "

Ya you probably hyped the game to much inside your own head, and werent suprised like all of us were when we first played the game. It was an epic (pun intended) experience when I first played gears cause I knew nothing about it, just came with my xbox bundle
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Flushes

The main reason why starting to play now may be a bit of a drag is because of what online play has basically devolved into. Everyone dives around blindfiring the shotgun, and most of them are pretty savage with it. Try playing on large maps and catching them out in the open with the lancer... It can be very fun to watch them not know what the hell to do.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By epic_pets

People are to good online now.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm

Well the problem nowadays is the lackadaisical use of the sniper rifle and the brute force of the shotgun.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf

Gears of War has some of the best graphics of the console.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Homer

Gears of war has some of the best graphics still so that can't be it, maybe you just set your expectations to high.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By fox01313

Ditto on just getting into this, it's been stuck in the assortment of games picked up not long ago before getting sucked into playing WoW for a while, now it's just been playing catch up on all the other games out there that I missed while in mmorpgland. The gameplay is quite good although it would have been nice to be able to jump a barrier without having to cover against it first, switch guns when a gun jammed (to unjam it later) instead of fighting one gun you can just pull out the other to take someone out.

I might be in the minority with this but I personally think they should have switched the roles of Marcus & Dom for the main character in the  single player mode, Dom (while not being a dumbass with the AI running him) seems like he is a better role for the player than Marcus, with the AI running your squad into the middle of the firefight all the time it makes sense to me that a bitter pissed off character like Marcus would fit that role better than Dom who is written as a bit more reserved in terms of personality/character.

jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By jok3r

I still haven't seen a game that can stand up to gears graphically, the amazingness of popping someones head off, or blowing them up with a tork bow, is stil unmatched. But the singleplayer is definetly where the game lags, there is basically no story which was the main flaw. I think the reason for the lacking story is because its been so long since Cliff and his team have done a game with a real singleplayer and so they weren't really up to it, but from what I hear, gears 2 singleplayer will be much inproved, and more epic (no pun intended) As far as gameplay goes in multiplayer, in the beginning it was great. As the game has aged, people have started glitching and the lancer has pretty much become obselete making the shotgun the only weapon in most rooms. I'm really excited that they have changed this with Gears 2 because I really hate shotgun rolling and shotgun battles, and it sounds like they will be gone for good. I still remember playing the game the day it came out, and everyone was using lancers, i miss those days. XD we had no idea how little power they had.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Nope, just a mediocre, overrated game.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brukaoru

I don't think it's your type of game, not everyone will enjoy it. I think it's an excellent game myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.