Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 07, 2006

Gears of War is a tactical cover-based sci-fi shooter from Epic Games. The player controls Marcus Fenix, a COG soldier who fights the Locust aliens defending their home planet from the encroaching Human invaders.

Ridiculous Multiplayer

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ItBeStefYo

All I can say is fuck the multiplayer in this game. The shotgun is used 80% of the time and combat with it is shit. I can't use it and still dont understand how people can 1HK me when I aim at their heads with it and shoot and fucking nothing happens.

I tried not aiming and gettin all up in them but that still doesn't work. FUCK THESE PEOPLE

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Canteu

Perhaps you should try using the Gnasher?

I hear that helps.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

@ItBeStefYo said:

1HK me when I aim at their heads with it and shoot and fucking nothing happens.

Ah man that sucks!! Next time this happens you should tell the guy he sucks and challenge him to a 1v1!!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

@ItBeStefYo: Don't feel too bad. Gears multiplayer is very specific and unique in the way it's played. It is one of very few games these days that have very clearly defined lines between the casual and the advanced player. Most of those people that are STILL playing Gears online have been playing the series from the first game onwards and have mastered perfect reloads down to muscle memory as well as wall bouncing and blindfiring.

Blindfiring is very important and most of the time people don't even scope in to get the kill. Unfortunately the only way to get good at blindfiring is playing a ton and getting a feel for where to aim when you don't have a reticule on the screen.

If you stick with the game you will definitely see an improvement - but to a first comer to the scene it's quite a brutal trial by fire and you can expect a lot of matches where you might never even get a kill.

I am no Gears pro, but I really do enjoy the look and style of the online gameplay and at the height of my online career I was MAYBE average at best. Those are just my observations from playing a fair amount of multiplayer before realizing that I don't have the time or perseverence to master the game to the point where I might do "good" and thus just stopped playing.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By living4theday258

@ItBeStefYo said:

All I can say is fuck the multiplayer in this game. The shotgun is used 80% of the time and combat with it is shit. I can't use it and still dont understand how people can 1HK me when I aim at their heads with it and shoot and fucking nothing happens.

I tried not aiming and gettin all up in them but that still doesn't work. FUCK THESE PEOPLE

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Did you consider that the people you went up against were, people who have been playing gears of war for so long that they are JUST THAT GOOD?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Welcome to last year.

Keep practicing.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By falserelic

Its war of the gears baby. If your trying hard then you need to try harder.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

This was my reaction last year with Gears 2 when I started preparing for Gears 3. Now I'm semi-proud to say I'm one of the guys who does really well with the Gnasher. It's all about practice and blatantly stealing strategies. Start with using it to ambush people around corners, because it rarely fails for that.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By _Zombie_

I only play Gears 3. Beast Mode is the shit.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Pretend the enemies are your mom. That should do the trick.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pazy

I got really dissapointed wih Gears 3, and 1/2, multiplayer. The singleplayer, and the original idea of it, seemed to be seeling a cover-based shooter where you had to hide, be careful between coverpoints and cover-fire etc. but instead its just people running at each other with shotguns.

Whats worse is that early on in the Gears 3 Beta it actually seemed to be going towards a cover-based shooter but it broke fairly fast.

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Zenogiasu

@TooWalrus said:

Pretend the enemies are your mom. That should do the trick.

Ha, I see watcha did there. Man, I spend too much time on Giant Bomb.

Regarding the topic at hand however, I think that Gears multiplayer is superb. That's just me. The five default weapons are very well-balanced, and each are effective in their own ways if used properly. A big determinant of you winning and losing is how well you set up your approach. If you rush in without thinking a few steps ahead, then you're pretty well fucked. You have to pick map-appropriate guns, use your grenades wisely, and put up a fight to get the map weapons. Furthermore, Epic dealt with accessibility admirably, since you're barred from entering serious matches until you've got some experience with the maps and guns.

So keep practising.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13  Edited By Dookysharpgun

Yes...it's shotguns of war online. Don't get pissed, just do what I did...don't bother. Horde and Beast are the only modes worth a bollox in the game anyway, and in case anyone tells you to practice or 'train' yourself, do yourself a big favour...go play something else. It really isn't that important a thing to spend hours on end perfecting your knowledge of weapons and learning the situations where blind-firing will have an effect on your enemies more than aiming.

Seriously, just don't worry about it, gears has a distinctive MP mode that cannot be prepared for no matter how much of the SP mode you play, they're that different in terms of how the mechanics are used...insofar as the mechanics don't hold up, overpowered weapons are given right off the bat, and the fact that blind-fire is far more effective than aiming are all reasons why the Gears MP isn't worth sinking your teeth into at this stage...it's structured towards the 'hardcore' players who don't really want to play anything else.

And all of that really isn't that important when you don't buy the map packs, and can't even play online with friends because of it. So yeah...go find something else to play, or stick to the players vs. AI modes, it really isn't worth the hassle.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By supamon

@Humanity said:

@ItBeStefYo: Don't feel too bad. Gears multiplayer is very specific and unique in the way it's played. It is one of very few games these days that have very clearly defined lines between the casual and the advanced player. Most of those people that are STILL playing Gears online have been playing the series from the first game onwards and have mastered perfect reloads down to muscle memory as well as wall bouncing and blindfiring.

If you stick with the game you will definitely see an improvement - but to a first comer to the scene it's quite a brutal trial by fire and you can expect a lot of matches where you might never even get a kill.

Yep, pretty much this.

@ItBeStefYo: Gears multiplayer is incredibly fun but it is not friendly to new comers at all. And if you're trying to get into it at this point I'd tell you to not bother because the only players left are twitch crazy wall bouncing maniacs.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

I feel your pain. I only just recently delved into my first ever competitive multiplayer matches and, boy oh boy, there are times where I am absolutely slaughtered and I can't figure out why. It's true, a lot of the best players literally just charge in bouncing everywhere like a lunatic with the Gnasher shotgun... but it's also a tough strategy to try and replicate when you yourself are falling prey to it everytime. I've had some good runs, though. I've managed to rank pretty high in some matches, and there was one match where it was just me and another guy in a TDM, against 5 left with no respawns for either of us, and we managed to take 'em all down.

I figured it'd be pretty damn impenetrable, but, yeah, I'm also disappointed to see that basically shotguns > everything else. I prefer to use my Retro Lancer most of the time and it can serve me well, but there are times where a guy's charging me while also zipping about like he's spider-man on cocaine and BAM - there goes my head. I played some horde mode with , along with a couple of randoms, which was great. No headsets, but we still managed to make it to round 50 (Only on normal mind you) before we had to give up--should note that we also lost a guy so it was just the three of us at that point.

I'm not ready to completely give up on Gears 3's competitive MP, though my weird principles demand that I don't fall back on to just relying on blind-firing my shotgun everywhere. I'd definitely love to play some more Horde, and also give Beast a go, with a full posse, too. Oh, and complete the campaign with a full team of 4!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.