Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Genesis

Platform »

After the cult success of their 8-bit Master System, Sega decided to give gamers a taste of their arcade capabilities with a 16-bit console. Known worldwide as the Mega Drive but called Genesis in the US, it provided graphics and sound a couple of steps below their popular System 16 arcade cabinets. The Mega Drive/Genesis turned out to be Sega's most successful console.

Handheld Genesis players?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

Hey guys,

I've been digging around on amazon and I saw that some companies manufacture "handheld genesis players" that look like game gears, but you simply plug in your cartridge and your good to go.  My Genesis has long been unplayable due to a broken controller port.  Anyway, I was thinking of picking one of these up.  They're called either the "Retrogen" or "GenMobile."  

The reviews are quite mixed so I was just curious if anyone owned them or had any input.

Thanks!

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Contro

Get a Sega Nomad instead, it works with games from all regions. 

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MightyDuck

I saw those on Amazon as well.  However, the cheapest I found was about $200, which is a little too pricey for as much as I'll end up using it.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Contro

Yea, they're pretty rare and highly prized by ardent Sega fans, such as myself. I would give eBay a check, everything tends to be significantly cheaper there.  As a Sega purist, I really do hate these kinds of products, I would always recommend someone goes for official hardware over this kind of thing.

If you have no luck you should look to pick up a refurbished console at low cost.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MightyDuck
    @Contro: 

Thanks for the insight.

I'm hesitant to go with something that is 3rd party as well.  If it weren't for the broken "prongs" on the Player 1 controller port on my Genesis, the thing is plays perfectly fine.  It turns on and works fine, but obviously, I can't plug in a damn controller because the one prong is bent/broken off.

I'll keep searching for either a Nomad or Genesis itself.  I found a few "3rd party" genesis/nes and was looking at those as well.  Again, though, the reviews on it are sketchy at best.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do unless you have another broken down console and are willing to do a repair job. Sega improved their controller ports significantly with the Sega Saturn.  

I just had a look myself, there are some decent prices for some model one's here. I don't think $45 is much to pay for one in good condition with a few extra's. If your current Genesis is a later model, you should definitely think about owning a model one, your collection will feel more special that way, and you'll be more likely to add to it.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MightyDuck

@Contro: 
    Thanks for the link.  That's not bad at all.

I actually have the first model, as you described.  I think I may just pick up a used console.  Those prices aren't bad.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By agentboolen
    @GetWhatYagive:  I don't know for $36 I would take a chance and buy this over the Nomad.  Seems like a good deal to me.   I never even knew they had these. 

Handheld Genesis
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By yakov456

Unless you are collecting, I wouldn't worry about the Nomad. Whenever I get mine out I remember how big it is, like a brick. And the screen is not so bright.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MightyDuck
    @yakov456: 
    No collecting here.  Just found some of the old genesis games in the closet and wishing I could try them out again.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By yakov456

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.