Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Geoff Keighley

Person » credited in 9 games

An industry figure responsible for hosting a number of gaming TV shows, events, and award shows, as well as a freelance journalist most noteworthy for "The Final Hours" series. Keighley currently hosts The Game Awards and the Summer Game Fest.

Geoff Keighley Rips on Interviewer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By rollingzeppelin

That video only showcased Angry Joe's shortcomings as an interviewer, and the rant where he keeps harping on the same points over and over again just show his unprofessionalism.  

Who gives a shit about the VGA's anyway, if you don't like it , don't watch it. This guy is freaking out, he's more pissed about this irrelevant game show than important issues like the fact that Republicans just blocked a bill to help 911 responders just so they could keep their precious tax cuts for the stinking rich.  

In short, dude needs some fucking perspective. 

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#102  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @blackbird415 said:
     Which would you rather see the VGAs run by geoff keiley or the giant bomb staff? I think thats an easy enough answer there.
    Yeah. Geoff Keighley.

Look, I LOVE the Giant Bomb guys. They're by far my favorite video game "personalities," and I've been following them since their early GameSpot days... But something like the VGAs just isn't what they do. It's what someone like Geoff does. It's really a different sort of discipline, and one the Giant Bomb guys aren't best suited for. They're perfect where they are, running their own website and doing crazy stuff. Geoff is better hosting shows and talks and all that jazz.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By Milkman

This Angry Joe guy has to have some kind of mental disability. That Final Fantasy tirade is ridiculous. He claims there are "so many" MMOs that could be nominated, first he names some game I've never even heard of and then struggles to even bring up Final Fantasy. Geoff asks him if it actually came out this year, he says "Oh, no, wait. That didn't come out this year" and then starts screaming how Geoff was trying to trick him or something. Also, for the record, Final Fantasy XIV is pretty much universally since as a massive failure. 90% of the people on these forums could conduct a better interview than this idiot. How this guy managed to get even 2 minutes with Geoff Keighley (or anyone for that matter) is beyond me.  

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By TPoppaPuff
    @Diamond:
    It's easy for both people to look like jerks when one guy routinely brings the worst in everybody by attacking them personally while not being well informed.  So basically his beef was that there wasn't some sham MMO category this year? If there even was a MMO category their did not deserve a winner this year anyway. 
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Geno:  So he's not obligated to conduct himself with class and decency in a professional capacity? You have a strange outlook on life. Putting aside the fact that Joe is not a professional himself, it makes no difference to how Geoff should have behaved. He could've conducted a proper interview and shown up Joe without the ridiculous condescension that some 2nd-rate journalist is not entitled to, just saying.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By blackbird415
    @Damodar: I tend to disagree simply because of the envirnment from which the interview was conducted. In fact seeing other interview hes conducted, hes much better at presenting himself than what was represented in the VGAs video as well as a much better interviewer than other more mainstream journalists like some people at gamespot. If it was a formal interview as promised I think it would have been handled much differently. I understand making stupid mistakes like when he discusses final fantasy. On one hand it sounds really amateurish, but on another hand it was such an impromptu and rushed interview that I wouldnt be suprised if almost anyone would screw up in that situation (aside from maybe Jeff). If he was delivered what he was promised it would have been a completely different situation. What they should do is put joe on the bonus round, that would be interesting.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By Animasta
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Geno:  So he's not obligated to conduct himself with class and decency in a professional capacity? You have a strange outlook on life. Putting aside the fact that Joe is not a professional himself, it makes no difference to how Geoff should have behaved. He could've conducted a proper interview and shown up Joe without the ridiculous condescension that some 2nd-rate journalist is not entitled to, just saying. "
    didn't he even say that this was like his 5th interview? I wouldn't even call him 2nd rate, and I wouldn't even have scheduled an interview with him. It's entirely possible someone higher up did it just as a personal prank on Geoff.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#108  Edited By Geno
    @Milkman: Yeah that was definitely a highlight. He blasts Geoff Keighley for "not knowing" a Final Fantasy MMO came out this year when in fact Geoff was fully aware, he was just also fully aware (unlike Joe) that it was terrible and wasn't remotely deserving of a nomination in any category. But apparently glancing at VGReleases for 5 seconds is considered the epitome of research for Angry Joe.  

This guy trying to represent hardcore gamers would be like Michael Moore trying to represent anorexic people. 
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By JoelTGM

Geoff did seem like a dick there.  The questions weren't hard to answer, but Geoff just looked like he wanted to piss the guy off instead of give real answers.  

Gertso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Gertso

It just made me dislike both of them even more.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By ch3burashka

This... uh... ugh... 

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By Lautaro
    @Geno said:
    " @Milkman: Yeah that was definitely a highlight. He blasts Geoff Keighley for "not knowing" a Final Fantasy MMO came out this year when in fact Geoff was fully aware, he was just also fully aware (unlike Joe) that it was terrible and wasn't remotely deserving of a nomination in any category. But apparently glancing at VGReleases for 5 seconds is considered the epitome of research for Angry Joe.   This guy trying to represent hardcore gamers would be like Michael Moore trying to represent anorexic people.  "
    When he kept bringing up the "music game" categories and then mentioned original soundtrack i facepalmed.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#113  Edited By Hizang

I dont know this Joe guy, but I have seen Geoff on Gametrailers, I always saw him as two faced anyway

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By blackbird415
    @Sargus: I see your point, but if given the resources, not even showing any of the giant bomb people I believe they would have a better discipline at representing gaming and showing what should be shown without further degrading the stereotype of gamers as the VGAs do. I know what your saying and thats why I love the whiskey media hour more than I would ever like "the bonus round" or the VGAs. I merely saying there are much more qualified people than geoff keiley to run the VGAs and spike needs to find them. Geoff keiley can work as an internet personality with show like the bonus round, but there are other people that would give the VGAs better justice.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @blackbird415:   No, I know what he was saying. He CHOOSE to let the interview happen as stuff was getting ready on the carpet, he could have waited until after the show. He didn't make an attempt to try and get the interview he wanted, he just waited around (with a whole bunch of other people who weren't "angry") and flagged him down as Geoff was on his way inside the building as the show started.  

If you watched the whole video, which I did and will nominate as the biggest waste of time I spent this year...take note I watched Wolfman and Clash of the titans in theaters, you'll notice at the end that Geoff was so free that he even let a press conference happen. He wasn't even supposed to show up since Joe made him go up there, he even admits it. The fact that he had such a negative agenda about how the show sucks and wanted to grill him before he even saw this year's edition speaks volumes as to his mentality about the whole thing.  

Terrible journalism, Geoff may have been slightly smug but Joe was a fucking amateur in the way it was presented and in those two minutes he might have burned Geoff about his lack of knowledge afterwards but during it he just nodded along like a moron. If Joe isn't even worth my time (speaking as a kid about to watch The Daily Show to take my finals tomorrow) how is he worth Geoff's time?

On top of that Joe was a complete idiot in the video.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Oh God no Keighley is human?!?!

But seriously, Angry Joe was asking for what happened. The fact homeboy over here tried to make a point that mother fucking DUNGEON FIGHTER ONLINE AND FINAL FANTASY 14 should have been nominated proves he doesn't even know what the hell he's talking about. I won't even start on DF, but FF14 is a train wreck to end all train wrecks. They restructured the ENTIRE team and the game has been out about 2-3 months. They're letting people play for free because they scared about losing subs. Besides WoW and LotRO probably, there's not even enough MMOs to fill the category.

Angry Joe needs to get another job. People want to talk about what's wrong with the game journalism industry and well...there's the problem.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @blackbird415 said:
    " @Sargus: I see your point, but if given the resources, not even showing any of the giant bomb people I believe they would have a better discipline at representing gaming and showing what should be shown without further degrading the stereotype of gamers as the VGAs do. I know what your saying and thats why I love the whiskey media hour more than I would ever like "the bonus round" or the VGAs. I merely saying there are much more qualified people than geoff keiley to run the VGAs and spike needs to find them. Geoff keiley can work as an internet personality with show like the bonus round, but there are other people that would give the VGAs better justice. "
    What do you think Giantbomb's Game of The Year delegations are? It's pretty much their version of the VGA.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Geno
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Geno:  So he's not obligated to conduct himself with class and decency in a professional capacity? You have a strange outlook on life. Putting aside the fact that Joe is not a professional himself, it makes no difference to how Geoff should have behaved. He could've conducted a proper interview and shown up Joe without the ridiculous condescension that some 2nd-rate journalist is not entitled to, just saying. "
    I think given the circumstances Geoff conducted himself just fine. Joe literally knew nothing about what he was talking about. He came to the VGAs to blast Geoff about how it doesn't represent the hardcore gamers, but only proved how little about hardcore gaming he knows himself, and Geoff merely corrected him with facts.  

"DO YOU THINK IT'S PROOPER DAT INDIE GAMEZ BE REPRESENT BY MOWNTAIN DOO GEOFF??? HUH???"  
    "Our indie games category will be presented by Guillermo del Toro this year."

"WHY FINAL FANTASY MMO NO WIN BEST RPG???" 
    "The Final Fantasy MMO released this year? :/ "  

'ALL YOR GAMES ARE RIGGED AND PICKED BY SPONSORS AMIRITE???" 
    "Our games are nominated and voted for by top industry gaming journalists and also regular gamers. This is public knowledge."

Joe was shockingly bad in the interview, an affront to hardcore gamers more than the VGAs, and I think Geoff gave him his just desserts.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Laketown: GK's distinction is that he did one or two investigative pieces in his life. That might be titanic in the vg enthusiast press, but it isn't anything special by the standards of journalism itself. As for your surmise that it was a joke, that seems like a long bow to say the least. The whys and wherefores don't really matter, how you behave in front of the public reflects on your person: GK is clearly an arrogant cunt. I don't watch Angry Joe's show, but which one is 'better' isn't the issue, at least not for me.
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @blackbird415 said:
    " @Sargus: I see your point, but if given the resources, not even showing any of the giant bomb people I believe they would have a better discipline at representing gaming and showing what should be shown without further degrading the stereotype of gamers as the VGAs do. I know what your saying and thats why I love the whiskey media hour more than I would ever like "the bonus round" or the VGAs. I merely saying there are much more qualified people than geoff keiley to run the VGAs and spike needs to find them. Geoff keiley can work as an internet personality with show like the bonus round, but there are other people that would give the VGAs better justice. "
    The problem with the VGAs, though, isn't Geoff... It's Spike. Spike isn't going to find someone better suited or "more qualified" for the VGAs because they have no interest whatsoever in building up respect for the game industry or anything else. They're a television channel for men, typically crude and brutish men at that, and that's what they want the VGAs to appeal to. And at the moment, they do. Ratings for young adult males watching the VGAs were apparently really good, TV-wise. That's all Spike cares about. That's why the VGAs won't improve unless they get worse and start losing tons of viewers. The game industry needs something else entirely if they want to balance things out. It's like the MTV Movie Awards vs. the Oscars. We need a more Oscar-like show.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Milkman

Wow, I kept watching and those questions he asked during that press meeting with Geoff were ridiculous. And I don't know why he keeps saying that no one knows how the awards are decided. The awards have been decided the same way for years. I can't believe people actually watch this garbage.  

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @blackbird415 said:
    What do you think Giantbomb's Game of The Year delegations are? It's pretty much their version of the VGA. "
    No, that's just choosing awards. Which, don't get me wrong, is really tough (obviously. The GB guys have been locked in that podcast room for an INSANE amount of time), but it's not a SHOW. Especially not a show meant to air on television for millions of people, where entertainment value is such a huge factor. GB does a fantastic podcast and some fantastic video content, but it's fantastic for US, in this little niche of the internet. They're not true award show hosts, and I'm sure they'd tell you that themselves.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Milkman: Be more afraid of the people who defend that garbage... 

Then people wonder how Fox News shows get off the ground or how FF XIV gets released....there are crazy people for everything.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By blackbird415
    @Doctorchimp: Yes joe screwed up bad and he admits it. He appologized to his fans.  

@Doctorchimp said:
    " @blackbird415:   If Joe isn't even worth my time (speaking as a kid about to watch The Daily Show to take my finals tomorrow) how is he worth Geoff's time?  "  

worth is perceptive. Plenty of people watch his show and love it. I never heard of him before this, but I give people the benefit of the doubt. Also its hard to compare an independent journalist to the daily show as far as content goes. Thats just a ridiculous comparison. 

I did watch the whole video and it wasnt negativity he was pushing, but constructive criticism ( which theres a big lack of in the public commmunity) 

@Doctorchimp
    said:
    " @blackbird415: On top of that Joe was a complete idiot in the video. "  

What angry simply wanted was to show hey the VGAs arent perfect. Theyve done xyz and would like to know possibilities for improvement. 
    What angry Joe was trying to do was say this are some areas of the show that have had many complaints, what are some future plans for the show  
    to better represent gamers? If Geoff Keiley has any brain cells (which he more than likely does) it could have easily been a positive interview and given 
    a better perspective as to the decisions for the VGAs and maybe the VGAs could get more respect if that type of interview was conducted, but it didnt happen. 
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @blackbird415:   you'll notice at the end that Geoff was so free that he even let a press conference happen. He wasn't even supposed to show up since Joe made him go up there, he even admits it. "  

When in the video? Where in the video does anyone ever say that Geoff freely gave a press conference and wasnt even supposed to. Where does anyone say that Joe made him go up there? Geoff may run the VGAs and have a level of power, but he 
    also has a responsibility to represent the company in the best manner he can and obviously he couldn't do his job a responsible representative of Spike tv 

so show me those time codes. Where are they?
    Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Stubert73

I remember a poised Keighley defending Mass Effect against a gaggle of ignorant panelists on Fox. Even if he was the jerk-off that Angry Joe thinks he is, the man deserves a break for not being able to always put his best foot forward on what had to be a very stressful evening (for both of them).

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#126  Edited By Driadon

Bad on both ends. Joe was not prepared, and, well, that led to Geoff not taking the interview seriously.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Sargus: The question was what Giantbomb would with the VGAs, you said so yourself they aren't Television hosts. This is what they want to do and I doubt they would ever do a television show anyway. I just thought it was kind of weird, or at least the way I read it, how there was this vibe of "what would giantbomb do?" and we have it... 

Keep in mind they have a lot more stuff than last year's video quick looks and top 10 lists with podcasts this time.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By blackbird415
    @Sargus: I agree with you on that one. My statement was more in suggestion to rather change the VGAs to something similar to the oscars, but yes spike isnt a channel that would do such a responsible thing. I just wish it could and I think if more questions are raised in the gaming community. If IGN and gamespot  etc. stepped up and said no we will not support the degradation of this media then maybe thered be more responsible media coverage, and maybe just maybe people like us would be taken more seriously.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#129  Edited By HydraHam

Geoff has always been a douche bag and a complete dick, not a fan of angry joe but i have to take his side, i have met geoff twice and both times he was incredibly rude and excuse my language a fucking asshole.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Shadow

If some random internet asshole I'd never heard of started openly insulting the thing I'd just spent the last several months preparing for live television, I'd probably behave in a similar way.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Sargus: The question was what Giantbomb would with the VGAs, you said so yourself they aren't Television hosts. This is what they want to do and I doubt they would ever do a television show anyway. I just thought it was kind of weird, or at least the way I read it, how there was this vibe of "what would giantbomb do?" and we have it...  Keep in mind they have a lot more stuff than last year's video quick looks and top 10 lists with podcasts this time. "
    No, the question was, "Would we rather have Geoff Keighley in charge of the VGAs or the Giant Bomb guys?" What I'm saying is that they're completely different things, and I would NOT want to see the Giant Bomb guys do the VGAs (Jeff has voted for the games, before, I believe. That's as close as we should get). And I'm not saying it should be an either/or situation. I LOVE Giant Bomb's Game of the Year stuff. I PREFER it over the VGAs any day of the week (I don't even like the VGAs. Didn't watch them this year). I'm just saying that the folks behind Giant Bomb wouldn't be fit to to the Spike TV Video Game Awards, because it's a completely different beast than what they do on a daily basis here on GiantBomb.com. There's no value judgment there. I'm not saying the VGAs are better or anything like that. I'm just saying that Geoff Keighley has skills and tlents in areas that the Giant Bomb guys don't, and that's not in any way a bad thing. It's just a thing. Geoff wouldn't be fit to run Giant Bomb, either.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#132  Edited By Dany

People tend to forget that he is kinda the only notable face for video games on TV besides Sessler and Webb
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#133  Edited By HydraHam
    @xobballox said:
    " Not really a fan of either of the dudes, but if someone acted like this to me in an interview, I would probably be a dick back.  Geoff really didn't over-react in my opinion.  Joe was being an ass and had a holier-than-thou attitude the whole time. "
    Really? Geoff was being a complete asshole the entire interview, you could clearly see joe trying to conduct an actual semi professional interview with real questions, not that soft bullshit IGN and gamespot ask, i think it's astonishing at the backing that geoff gets and the hate joe gets.. especially from a crowed who did nothing but shit on the vgas and put down GT on a daily basis.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By chrissedoff

looks like joe is bashing geoff to cover for his own lack of preparation

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By blackbird415
    @Doctorchimp:  Yeah Sargus got what I meant. They do a show every friday though. Its not on tv, but damned if its the closest thing independent journalists have to it. I just think that there are more responsible ways to handle things than what spike tv and Geoff have shown. If we can get journalists to really rally together to make a true oscars of gaming then I believe it would be a right step in the direction, but to me the VGAs in the general publics eye pushes the gaming culture 2 steps back. Do I really care about Angry Joe? no. Do I like what his intent was? yes. Its asking why the VGAs aren't more serious and begs the question cant there be a more serious award show that appeals to the same audience that spike is going after? 

Angry Joe isnt an established journalist. Hes not the most experienced or even that great of a journalist, but what I did like is what he trying to get at. Hes not the most articulate or the most mentally connected (I know I wouldn't given those situations)
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @blackbird415: I'm gonna run through your comments on my post, because I'm not sure how to quote someone as well as you just did so I'll just number them off. I'm starting with the "not worth my time" comment.

1) His worth was determined by him foaming at the mouth over an MMO category without giving a concrete list of competitors and then agreeing with Geoff during the interview during the times he was wrong. Afterwards though Joe then blasts Geoff for being wrong and not knowing anything. While he didn't know anything during the interview either...that's called hypocrisy. I don't like hypocrites. By all means deem him worthy. I also wasn't comparing it to the Daily Show, I was pointing out I'm just a kid about to watch something on TV with nothing much to do.  

And if he wasn't pushing negativity I'd like to know how that counts as constructive criticism, he flat out attacked Geoff about Jenna Jameson and wouldn't shut up about it even though Geoff wasn't with Spike until 2007. Which he could have researched...and he didn't research at all...what a class act.

2) I'm super stoked Angry Joe was on the job to show the VGAs aren't perfect, I was really losing sleep at their credibility to sling some commercials at me. By the way as I've already pointed out he did no research, he really didn't give a shit about where the show was going. He just wanted to more or less have Geoff answer e-mails from his fans about how much his show sucked. He would have done some research if he cared.

3) Okay you didn't catch it...I'll point it out to you. I'm typing right before I go into that black abyss FOR YOU. 

OH GOD, goddamn it 14:30 until around 14:45. Jesus fucking christ...you're welcome.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Geno
    @Doctorchimp: Brave soul, someone would have to pay me hefty sums of money to watch that shit again.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Sargus said:
    " @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Sargus: The question was what Giantbomb would with the VGAs, you said so yourself they aren't Television hosts. This is what they want to do and I doubt they would ever do a television show anyway. I just thought it was kind of weird, or at least the way I read it, how there was this vibe of "what would giantbomb do?" and we have it...  Keep in mind they have a lot more stuff than last year's video quick looks and top 10 lists with podcasts this time. "
    No, the question was, "Would we rather have Geoff Keighley in charge of the VGAs or the Giant Bomb guys?" What I'm saying is that they're completely different things, and I would NOT want to see the Giant Bomb guys do the VGAs (Jeff has voted for the games, before, I believe. That's as close as we should get). And I'm not saying it should be an either/or situation. I LOVE Giant Bomb's Game of the Year stuff. I PREFER it over the VGAs any day of the week (I don't even like the VGAs. Didn't watch them this year). I'm just saying that the folks behind Giant Bomb wouldn't be fit to to the Spike TV Video Game Awards, because it's a completely different beast than what they do on a daily basis here on GiantBomb.com. There's no value judgment there. I'm not saying the VGAs are better or anything like that. I'm just saying that Geoff Keighley has skills and tlents in areas that the Giant Bomb guys don't, and that's not in any way a bad thing. It's just a thing. Geoff wouldn't be fit to run Giant Bomb, either. "
    Oh okay so we agree. Luchadeer for life?
    Thunderhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Thunderhead
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Geno: I do it for the people.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#141  Edited By csl316

I think Keighley handled himelf as best he could.  It seems he knew who Joe was, asking if he was gonna rip the VGA's.  Since the guy did a segment last year called "Why Spike's Video Game Awards Suck Balls," you'd obviously expect an interview full of loaded questions and provocation.  Not exactly expecting high journalistic integrity, and the bone to pick comment pretty much set the tone. 

Keighley answered his questions and gave him the light of day, but the guy responded like a douche, took away the mic mid answer, and showed no professionalism.  Yeah, there's stuff that needs to be improved at the VGA's.  But don't act like an ass if you want any sort of respect.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @Doctorchimp And death, sure.

@blackbird415 said:
    " @Doctorchimp:  Yeah Sargus got what I meant. They do a show every friday though. Its not on tv, but damned if its the closest thing independent journalists have to it. I just think that there are more responsible ways to handle things than what spike tv and Geoff have shown. If we can get journalists to really rally together to make a true oscars of gaming then I believe it would be a right step in the direction, but to me the VGAs in the general publics eye pushes the gaming culture 2 steps back. Do I really care about Angry Joe? no. Do I like what his intent was? yes. Its asking why the VGAs aren't more serious and begs the question cant there be a more serious award show that appeals to the same audience that spike is going after?  Angry Joe isnt an established journalist. Hes not the most experienced or even that great of a journalist, but what I did like is what he trying to get at. Hes not the most articulate or the most mentally connected (I know I wouldn't given those situations) "
    The problem is that Angry Joe is doing more harm than good for this cause, noble as it may be. He's unprofessional, many would call him annoying, and he honestly makes himself look bad on several occasions. Him fighting against the VGAs doesn't help the situation at all - it hurts it. He could have sent a much better message if he had been more prepared and more professional, but he may not be capable of it. That's not entirely his fault - he has a niche fanbase and he caters to it. But it's not serious journalism, so it's not what we need in the fight for a serious award show.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By blackbird415
    @Doctorchimp: So jesus is fucking himself? 

theres the quote button by the reply button. It automatically pops the persons post into your reply just for future reference ( though it does have issues if the persons post is on a different page). 

yeah I didnt catch it, but thank you for pointing it out. 

Yes angry joe really isnt the right personality to be asking those questions, but I simply think its a good subject matter to be questioning media outlets as to their respective content. 

@Doctorchimp said:
    " @Milkman: Be more afraid of the people who defend that garbage...  Then people wonder how Fox News shows get off the ground or how FF XIV gets released....there are crazy people for everything. "

I think theres alot more to ffXIV than crazy people. Not only is there a cultural seperation (Japanese games arent generally popular aside from the rarety of final fantasy and mario), but a team of people having to spend the amount of time they do making a game is a serious reason why so many games arent good such as ffXIV. Theres a a sort of developer bubble where time freezes and if your lucky your game matches whats good out in the market. Its ridiculously tough to make a game, let alone a good one. 
    I wont buy FFXIV, but its not to say that there arent hundreds of people behind making the game. When making a game everything makes sense to the developer because there making it, its especially difficult to step back and see it for what it really is and its a serious rarity for developers to be able to do that.
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By samfo

that angry joe guy got destroyed... and he sounds like a total dick, sorry but I'm with Geoff on this..

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Styl3s said:
    " @xobballox said:
    " Not really a fan of either of the dudes, but if someone acted like this to me in an interview, I would probably be a dick back.  Geoff really didn't over-react in my opinion.  Joe was being an ass and had a holier-than-thou attitude the whole time. "
    Really? Geoff was being a complete asshole the entire interview, you could clearly see joe trying to conduct an actual semi professional interview with real questions, not that soft bullshit IGN and gamespot ask, i think it's astonishing at the backing that geoff gets and the hate joe gets.. especially from a crowed who did nothing but shit on the vgas and put down GT on a daily basis. "
    Like I said, I'm not a fan of either, and I didn't say Geoff wasn't an asshole; he was.  Joe started off the interview being kind of hostile already "I've got a bone to pick with this guy" and worded his questions much more aggressively than need-be.  Instead of saying something like "A big complaint from gamers about the show is <insert complaint>." he asked it in more of a  "This part of the show is pretty bad.  What are you going to do to fix it?" kind of way.  And he did ask questions about that stuff like it wasn't already known that there was going to be a PC GOTY category, that there weren't sponsored GOTY awards, etc.  Geoff was obviously busy at the time and reacted like an ass, as I believe most people would when approached with aggressive questions.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Vodun

Watched the clip, watched some of his videos on his site, dude's not worth the air I breathe, moving on.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Geno

No Caption Provided
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Geno

No Caption Provided
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Geno:  I don't know if its because it's late and I'm tired, but I'm sitting here cracking the hell up right now
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By landon

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.