Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 06, 2017

A high-difficulty climbing game inspired by Sexy Hiking.

This is the Run?

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By NeverGameOver

"This is the Run" featuring @vinny Caravella attempting to climb the mountain in "Getting Over It"... Can we make this happen?

(Would also work as a Breaking Brad btw)

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This would take absolutely forever if they play it for "This is the Run." There's also the major issue that this game doesn't have a fail state.

Now, a Breaking Brad wherein they keep to a set time limit (30 min?) for each episode... I'd be interested in that.

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By larmer

I feel like someone needs to let the GB crew know that the game should be played with trackpad tuning on. By default the game uses really horrible mouse acceleration that feels absolutely awful. I suck at the game and it took me 12 and a half hours to beat, there's no chance I would have come even close without the trackpad tuning on. I was watching Jeff struggle to play it on his Extra Life stream and I think it's mostly due to that setting. The mouse acceleration really makes the game borderline unplayable.

It kinda does have a fail state! It's nearly impossible to get, but you can get a bad ending on the very last obstacle of the game by getting your hammer stuck. Not an actual game over screen but the narrator does say "You got so close, but this is past mending. You got the bad ending."

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By audiosnow

Never thought I'd see a reference to Sexy Hiking again.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By majormitch

I would love to see a video series of this, it's a great and entertaining game. A Breaking Brad style thing may be better... This is the Run would never end for this ;)

@larmer: Can you explain what trackpad tuning does? I just tried turning that on, and it does seem a bit better, but I have no idea why! And thanks for the tip :)

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By larmer

@majormitch: I wasn't sure what it was either, it just felt grossly unresponsive by default. Others who've beaten the game have told me it removes mouse acceleration. Whatever it is, the trackpad tuning option makes it control much more naturally and precise.

One other thing I'd like to point out is that you shouldn't take the speedruns as a guide really. They're moving really fast because they have to but you can play the game slowly and carefully and beat it. There's moments where you have to make a quick move, but you never need to make a series of moves very quickly. I think if GB were to play it for The Run or anything else they could absolutely do it. Maybe falling back down to the bottom could count as a failed run? Although once you pass Orange Hell it become nearly impossible to fall back to the very bottom.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Floating stairs
    Floating stairs
    Slippery rocks
    Slippery rocks

@larmer: Thanks for the advice. I tend not to look to speedruns for advice, since those people are monsters and do things I'm currently incapable of :)

The parts I'm stuck on right now are first, this awkwardly angled floating stairwell. I can't consistently make this jump to get up those stairs, I don't feel like I have a good technique for it like I do most other parts. And when I miss it I fall back far enough to be a hindrance.

I have gotten past that little section maybe 4 or 5 times, and that gets me to this stack of slippery rocks. I feel like if I could try it more I'd have it (and I honestly almost made it my first try). But that's the farthest I've gotten. I'm trying to take it slow, but my hammer often slips on one of the rocks, and then I tumble all the way back to the blue slide.

Any advice on these parts? I feel like if I could get past them more reliably, I'd be past some of these easy setbacks that are costing a lot of time.

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By larmer

@majormitch I made some videos this morning to demonstrate these spots for ya!

The stairs is one part I maybe got messed up on the most. I ended up learning how to do the Slide Skip, which is a speedrunning shortcut, just so I could practice on those stairs more frequently. The key to doing them is to first get yourself high enough to reach the blue building. Then you can get up simply by moving your hammer back and forth between the wall and the stairs. As long as you're pressing against one of those you can stop and prevent yourself from falling down.

Loading Video...

Slippery rocks, which is commonly referred to as Orange Hell, can be completed by setting yourself down at the top of each ledge and then lightly grabbing the next ledge and repeat. You have to start with a pogo jump and once you reach the church there's 3 more pogo jumps. be careful to lightly catch the ledge because if you hit it to hard you'll bounce back. A good thing to note is that messing up on the church is recoverable. If you fall it's pretty easy to catch yourself on a rock at the bottom of the church. And be wary of the jump scare. at the top of the church.

Loading Video...

I'm pretty bad at this game, so I always need to take every part slowly. People who are good at it develop a rhythm and need to move quicker to keep a steady flow but I just panic and flail around when I try to do it like that. My best time is 23m 16s!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't know, I like Vinny's current personality. I feel like this game might change him into something else...

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@larmer: Thanks for the tips! Especially on the stairs, that's been the bigger hurdle for me of the 2. I've been trying exactly what you did on the rocks, but in the 4 or so times I've gotten that far, it just hasn't worked out yet. I hadn't thought about using the blue building for leverage on the stairs though, I'll give that a shot! And 23m 16s sounds like a solid time to me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.