Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Can't install PC version. So pissed off right now!!!!!!!

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Funzzo

I bought the PC version of GB and it will not install.  I keep getting an error that says install wizard was interrupted before the game could be installed. This is BULLSHIT!!!!  Can't return the game because its PC. Anyone else have this problem?  I know some people have, I googled it.  Who do I call to bitch out ATARI or Terminal Reality?

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

sigh, not another game that has been shafted on the pc again. Revolt I say, Revolt!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

You were the guy having CRC errors when installing other games before right?  We talked in that thread you made.  Is it possible that's still causing problems for you?

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Out_On_Bail

wow that sucks, i sure hope you get it fixed - the game is pretty good.  That's why, if given the option, I get it on a console before I get it on a PC.  I understand you may not have that option, but that's one of -my- reasons.  Good luck with it.  I'd look for some sort of tech support number.

zolika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By zolika

What OS do you use?

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?:D
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Can u check the back of the box and see if it mentions multiplayer? I heard somewhere PC version is gimped and doesn't have that and just curious if it's true. Hope you solve the issue but if you have it with other games too don't blame the game just yet.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funzzo

I fixed the CRC error problem, it was bad ram.  This is a whole new problem. Every game I have installs just fine, but not ghostbusters. There is a problem with the game.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funzzo

No multiplayer. Sorry :(

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Can u check the back of the box and see if it mentions multiplayer? I heard somewhere PC version is gimped and doesn't have that and just curious if it's true. Hope you solve the issue but if you have it with other games too don't blame the game just yet. "
    PC version is confirmed to have no MP.

@Funzzo said:
    " I fixed the CRC error problem, it was bad ram.  This is a whole new problem. "
    Ah, I thought so!  Glad you sorted that problem out at least.  Can you tell us specifically what error you're getting now?
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Insectecutor

Does it give a proper error message, error code, anything? Is there anything related to installshield in the event log (right-click my computer, manage, event viewer, look at application and system logs).

If you have antivirus on, try turning it off before installing.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nixium

I assume this has something to do with SecureCom which is bundled with the PC version. Call Atari.

Here is an analysis of the securecom INI file: http://www.ecto-web.org/~spookcentral/scblog/index.php/2009/06/15/ghostbusters-video-game-pc-online-activa

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Funzzo

Ok. The error says "Install wizard was interrupted before game could be installed try again later" Thats not word for word but you get the idea.  Also this error was on the last window of the install thing where it would usually have 2 check boxes one for view readme and one for launch game. This is not a system error.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

try installing in safe mode! I've never done that actually, but hey, whatever.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funzzo

Trying new install now. With everything off(antivirus and such). Also I would call ATARI if I could find a phone number. My specs are. XP64,mobo:ASUS crosshair2Formula, AMD5000+ duel coreAM2. 4 gigs of 1066ram. Nvidia295GTX

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funzzo

No luck same error.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mind posting your specs.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funzzo

MOBO:ASUS Crosshair 2 Formula
    RAM: 4 GIGS 1066
    CPU:AMD64X2 5000+ Duel Core
    GFX:Nvidia 295GTX
    HDD: 1 320 WD 1 1TB WD
    PSU:750 watt

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond
    Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funzzo

Thanks for the suggestion Diamond.  It's not all bad I got a free Ghostbusters tee shirt with purchase Yipee!!!

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Funzzo

Has anyone else bought this for the PC? Have you had the same problem? I am in need of feedback.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond

Some more advice :

Do you have the latest .NET installed?  The latest Windows updates?

It sounds like the majority of times this issue is caused by security clearance changes added to Windows after XP SP2.  Here's another google search that might help.
    Sounds like you can download a Windows tool program and do a bunch of stuff to get it to work right.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By maxszy

This is why I don't PC game anymore. The issues that go along with it like this, are so "pull your hair out" frustrating that it just...ugh.

Though I suggest checking your windows updates and so forth. Could be something to do with that.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i play on PC only, should i get this or what? o_O

im using Vista tho
    CageStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CageStooge

I am getting the same error message.  I read somewhere that it is because I am trying to install to a non C drive location.  Are you doing the same thing?  I'm reinstalling it now to a directory on C.  I may even take the "easy" install option and let it use the default path...I'll let you know.

OmniJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OmniJackal

Im Funzzos buddy and we just tried installing it on my computer and got the same error. This is the error that pops up...

No Caption Provided

The problem is the game devs fault and appears to be wide spread.
    CageStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CageStooge

I fixed it another way.  I found another post that said if you do a search of your registry you'll find a bunch of entires pointing to the directory you chose (in my case D:\games\ghostbusters) and you'll see a bunch of entries pointing to the default location (which I beleive was C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Ghostbusters).  I simply changed all those entires to D:\games\ghostbusters.  Be aware that some of the entries have a ? mark instead of a :.  So you'd see C?\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Ghostbusters.  You want to leave the ? mark as it is.  You would change the entry to D?\wherever you installed (in my case it was D?\Games\Ghostbusters).

I found this information on this link

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678514&page=3

After doing this I was able to complete my install to the non-standard directory, activate, and launch the game.  I have not played it yet, I just launched it.  I figured since you were probably screaming at some poor schmuch in tech support, I'd help you out before you went postal on them.  :)

It is troubling that this simple little test was not performed before they shipped it.  Did it not occur to ANYONE at Atari to test a non-standard install?  Proceed at your own risk because it leads you to wonder what other issues might crop up from it not being in a standard install directory ....

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone needs to start a litigation on this, defective product or something. The modesty of the PC has been ravaged long enough!

cobell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cobell
    Looks like the installer problem is a widespread issue if you try to do anything other than the "Easy" default directory install.

There are potential workarounds being posted in some forums; here are two copy/pasted from another board:

First:
    1) Run the installer once, with the non-default folder you want to install to.  The installer will say it was interrupted.
    2) Download the “Windows Install Clean Up” tool from Microsoft. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 has an explanation/download link)
    3) Start the installer again, but don’t click past the first screen that pops up.
    4) Run the “Windows Install Clean Up” and remove “Ghostbusters: The Video Game”.(You could probably also clean your registry however else you wanted at this point if you're savvy).
    5) Click next in the installer, and reinstall to the same location you picked before.  It should now install correctly to the folder you chose.

The main key is to start the installer a second time, clean the registry with the Windows registry tool, and then finish running the installer.

Second:
    A bit of experimentation yielded an alternate method that doesn't need any registry fiddling:

custom install option to install GB wherever you want.
    When the installation finishes, immediately run the installer again, but do the easy install to C: This install will be fast and only install 7 files.
    Copy these 7 files and paste them into the folder you installed to the first time.
    Run game and enjoy.
    Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Funzzo

Got it to work!!! Thanks cobell I tried your second recommendation and it worked.

cannibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By cannibeast

I had the same damn problem. So basically, no matter where you tell the game to install it always puts some files on the C: drive. I installed to the E: drive, and found those 7 files under C:/Program Files.../Ghostbusters.
    Limited activation, no multiplayer, AND a busted installer. And here I saw this and thought, "$29.99? What a steal!" Yeah, maybe not so much...
    EDIT: Just used the regedit fix from CageStooge's link and got it to work. Thank you CageStooge, and thank you GiantBomb!

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Funzzo

Yes this might not have MP and the installer is busted, but I just played for like 4 hours and I like this game. I would recommend it after they fix the installer.

toag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By toag

They never fixed the launcher

toag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made this account just so I could comment on this, because I'm having the SAME problem you all had 10 years ago

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.