Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

I Ain't 'Fraid of Using A Movie Quote To Make A Blog Title

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

Right now...

...there are three games from Blockbuster sitting in my personal drawer at work that I would rather be playing than sitting here at work.  That's probably the most I've rented from a place in about five years.

Right now...

...I want to be whoring achievements on Oblivion.

Right now...

...I'll stop ripping off Van Halen.

With my Wednesday and Thursday off from work this week, I decided to rent a copy of Ghostbusters as well as re-rent my copies of Prototype and Red Faction Guerrilla.  So, with that knowledge now soaked into your brain, what did I think of Ghostbusters?

I'm picking up strong readings that Stay Puft just blew ass in the middle of Times Square.
    I'm picking up strong readings that Stay Puft just blew ass in the middle of Times Square.
    It's pretty damn good.  It's not revolutionary-amazing, but it's definitely got enough charm and solid gameplay to keep me jumping into it.  The control scheme and gameplay style does, at times, feel like a bit of a Gears clone (reload IS on the RB after all, and the third person view and sprint seem like a roadie run and Gears presentation).  There's also the fact that the multiplayer seems a lot like Horde mode but with a slight variation to the objective of the match.  Regardless of these similarities, the game stands on its own, thanks to a well-told story and characters that we love.  All the original voice actors are back, and all your favorite setpieces show back up as well.  I've heard some complaints about Bill Murray's performance in the game being a bit lacking...but he seemed as much like Peter Venkman as one can get from an actor who hasn't played the role in 20 years.  The same goes for everyone else, from Ackroyd's "listen to me talk like I'm selling Crystal Head Vodka in a promo video" to Ramis' "you kids know me as Seth Rogen's dad in Knocked Up"...and then you've got Ernie Hudson's "hey, I've got a job!" delivery, which is the best out of them all.  You play as Rookie, a dood that is brought on to test prototype units for the Ghostbusters.

With the exceptional multiplayer, great career mode, and Ramis delivering the line "WE EAT GODS FOR BREAKFAST!"...Ghostbuster The Video Game definitely made me happy, especially with the way it took me back to familiar territory and was able to tie it all together in one overlapping story arc.

Now, onto the rest of the blog:  achievements, people!!!  I finally broke 25k...to the point that I'm past 26k and soon to hit 27k.  Luckily, I've still got an easy 810 to pull from Need for Speed Most Wanted, plus all the achievements from Oblivion.  That's easily breaking the 28k barrier, upon which I'll pick up Civilization Revolution and start finishing those off again.  This serves a double purpose, as a friend of mine had started playing CivRev after I got out of the game and he's been begging me to play against him (which this is a guy that beats Deity level AI in less than 30 minutes, so I've got no fucking chance!).  It should be fun.

After that, I need some game suggestions.  I seriously tried to achievement whore Cars the other night, but I just cannot cannot CANNOT bring myself to that level, man.  I guess I'll never be a good achievement whore, eh?

No Caption Provided

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

Right now...

...there are three games from Blockbuster sitting in my personal drawer at work that I would rather be playing than sitting here at work.  That's probably the most I've rented from a place in about five years.

Right now...

...I want to be whoring achievements on Oblivion.

Right now...

...I'll stop ripping off Van Halen.

With my Wednesday and Thursday off from work this week, I decided to rent a copy of Ghostbusters as well as re-rent my copies of Prototype and Red Faction Guerrilla.  So, with that knowledge now soaked into your brain, what did I think of Ghostbusters?

It's pretty damn good.  It's not revolutionary-amazing, but it's definitely got enough charm and solid gameplay to keep me jumping into it.  The control scheme and gameplay style does, at times, feel like a bit of a Gears clone (reload IS on the RB after all, and the third person view and sprint seem like a roadie run and Gears presentation).  There's also the fact that the multiplayer seems a lot like Horde mode but with a slight variation to the objective of the match.  Regardless of these similarities, the game stands on its own, thanks to a well-told story and characters that we love.  All the original voice actors are back, and all your favorite setpieces show back up as well.  I've heard some complaints about Bill Murray's performance in the game being a bit lacking...but he seemed as much like Peter Venkman as one can get from an actor who hasn't played the role in 20 years.  The same goes for everyone else, from Ackroyd's "listen to me talk like I'm selling Crystal Head Vodka in a promo video" to Ramis' "you kids know me as Seth Rogen's dad in Knocked Up"...and then you've got Ernie Hudson's "hey, I've got a job!" delivery, which is the best out of them all.  You play as Rookie, a dood that is brought on to test prototype units for the Ghostbusters.

With the exceptional multiplayer, great career mode, and Ramis delivering the line "WE EAT GODS FOR BREAKFAST!"...Ghostbuster The Video Game definitely made me happy, especially with the way it took me back to familiar territory and was able to tie it all together in one overlapping story arc.

Now, onto the rest of the blog:  achievements, people!!!  I finally broke 25k...to the point that I'm past 26k and soon to hit 27k.  Luckily, I've still got an easy 810 to pull from Need for Speed Most Wanted, plus all the achievements from Oblivion.  That's easily breaking the 28k barrier, upon which I'll pick up Civilization Revolution and start finishing those off again.  This serves a double purpose, as a friend of mine had started playing CivRev after I got out of the game and he's been begging me to play against him (which this is a guy that beats Deity level AI in less than 30 minutes, so I've got no fucking chance!).  It should be fun.

After that, I need some game suggestions.  I seriously tried to achievement whore Cars the other night, but I just cannot cannot CANNOT bring myself to that level, man.  I guess I'll never be a good achievement whore, eh?

No Caption Provided

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Player1

Congrats on the score. I whored a couple games very early on (college hoops 2k6 and madden 06) and I regret it. Like REALLY regret it. 

Youll realize that when you whore, you kinda lose the proudness that you have in your current score. At least, thats what happened to me. My score means nothing to me now, just getting the achievements themselves. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187

I can't say I feel the same way.  I appreciate every single achievement I unlock.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Avatar my friend. 5 minutes. 1000 points. A night you'll never speak of again.

.....Unless you've whored that game already, in which case disregard that.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
    @Everyones_A_Critic said:
    " Avatar my friend. 5 minutes. 1000 points. A night you'll never speak of again......Unless you've whored that game already, in which case disregard that. "
    I'll never stoop to that level, sir.  Like I said, maybe that means I'm a bad whore.  I usually only whore games that I actually have to put the effort into.  That's why you don't see stuff like Night at the Museum or Avatar on my GT.  Nonetheless, I do feel guilty sometimes when I play something like Fight Night Round 3 or King Kong or Need for Speed Most Wanted...even though they were awesome games.  Terminator Salvation, however...well, there is no excuse for.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Snipzor

You silly achievement whores, how do you sleep at night after a round of whoring. I bet you need a shower after being. . . well you know. Being a dirty slut.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jakob187 said:
    "@Everyones_A_Critic said:
    " Avatar my friend. 5 minutes. 1000 points. A night you'll never speak of again......Unless you've whored that game already, in which case disregard that. "
    I'll never stoop to that level, sir.  Like I said, maybe that means I'm a bad whore.  I usually only whore games that I actually have to put the effort into.  That's why you don't see stuff like Night at the Museum or Avatar on my GT.  Nonetheless, I do feel guilty sometimes when I play something like Fight Night Round 3 or King Kong or Need for Speed Most Wanted...even though they were awesome games.  Terminator Salvation, however...well, there is no excuse for.
    "
    Haha! That's what they all say.

In all seriousness, I get what you mean. The game Hitman: Blood Money has easy achievements but is a hell of a game otherwise. I highly reccomend it.
    dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By dethfish

Skate 2, Naruto the Broken Bond and Viva Pinata have pretty easy achievements. At least I thought so.  They aren't as easy as Avatar though, you'll have to spend some time with the games.

That Naruto game is a lot better than you'd think. Not great though.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
    @Snipzor said:
    " You silly achievement whores, how do you sleep at night after a round of whoring. I bet you need a shower after being. . . well you know. Being a dirty slut. "
    Now that you put it that way, I realize that calling it achievement WHORING is wrong, because we aren't really getting paid in anything other than gamerscore.  I guess we are achievement sluts...but then again, we ARE getting paid with gamerscore.  So where's the defining line on that?

Either way, I sleep during the day...and whore at night.  Don't go to bed until about 8 in the morning because I'm so worn out and tired from all the whoring I did after I got off from my day job.
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Xandurson

My friend bought an Elite and let me borrow his copy of Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda that he got with it and I've been whoring Kung Fu Panda like crazy. Check out my Achievement Update blog tomorrow if you want to see how many points I got.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I made a new account because of how guilty I felt about having Avatar on my achievement list...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.