Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Its Actually a good game!!!

TOXICSHLOCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TOXICSHLOCK
    (this concerns the 360 version of the game)
    Everyone interested in this expected the worst even though the screen shots and vids looked promising, we have all had our hearts broken and loyalty to the intellectual property bent over a barrel by movie licensed games in the past, its now almost expected. We keep the Vaseline within reach now out of painful experience when playing movie related titles.

Ghostbusters the video game, the 360 version, is a damn good game! This game is fun - playing store bout to be released retail version now, loving every second of it. The proton pack has been well executed (its not moronic button smashing) being able to explore the firehouse in the beginning and between levels is a fanboy thrill. Clever little details like the GB2 street sign sitting behind a stack of storage stuff in the left back of the firehouse, toaster on the pool table, painting from GB2 - very cool.

My only issue so far is that I wish the story was a little slower to unravel in its pacing, the first level at the SedgeWick Hotel is awesome fun, pulling you into the game and well executed. I would have preferred more of the the lower key small haunts, would have been nice if the story kept this kind of  basic "GB in training" momentum going, rather than bust out some heavy players and NY changing plot elements so soon into the game. I am not but an hour or so in, so I am not in a position to pass judgment or speak thoroughly to the entirety of the story just yet.

Everyone has a reason to be excited on this one, its what we have waited for in a GB game. I am interested to see how the very different wii version turns out....
    Huge thank you to the developers for respecting and putting so much effort into a beloved IP such as this!
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Quipido

Yep, I played the game today for the first time and its just pure fun. Ofcourse there are better games on the market, but this is a solid title. You are right, I would enjoy slower pacing too, just because capturing a ghost is so much fun on its own.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

It's a decent game.  Some parts were fun, but some of the later parts were just annoying to me (stone angels).  In a purely game sense they did a good job making the gameplay work, but as a Ghostbusters product I would have liked more humor and better writing.  Compare the gameplay alone to older Ghostbusters games and this is clearly the best yet (Japanese Ghostbusters 2 for NES was pretty close, if you ignore modern production values like graphics and sound).

Pretty good MP in GB on 360 as well.

The only other problem I had is I played Luigi's Mansion on Gamecube, kind of a more clever ghost busting game.  Better puzzles and more variety in gameplay...

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

it's definitely better than I expected; mucho fun and some good laughs! Capturing ghosts definitely is lots of fun! Hope there would be for some reason more weapons for  the proton pack (according to the achievements, there are). Also, EASY achievements! lol

so yeah... i like this game XD
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By suneku

I really really enjoyed it. The game made me go back and watch the movies again and rekindled my love for ghostbusters. The game really makes you feel like a ghostbuster and that's the most important part.

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By AutomaticSnake

It is...? I just played the demo on PS3 and... its pretty crappy.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By demonbear

I just picked it up on steam for 6.50$ and you know, its pretty good, im actually surprised by the quality of the engine they use.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

The Infernal Engine shows a lot of promise while the Ghostbusters game shows just how little of that promise is actually brought to fruition.

I can't agree with people who think this is a good game.  I played it on the 360 first and found it so slow and ponderous that it was almost offensive and completely contradicts the style of play it's meant to provide.  The enemy AI is so oldschool and cheap, with obvious patterns and overpowered attacks often both at the same time.  The team-mate AI is especially bad, as the other Ghostbusters, who are meant to be experienced at this sort of thing, spend so much time on the floor screaming for help OVER AND OVER that it made me wonder how they survived the first battle with GOZER let alone taking down Vigo in the second movie.   Really, their AI is so bad it's annoying.  As to the game physics, while it might be nice that so much of the environment is destructible, almost all of it is canned animation and you can only destroy props so it doesn't look particularly modern and destroying said props will leave broken pieces everywhere, which you and your AI teammates will get stuck on.  This is particularly annoying when you're in combat against many small enemies - such as in the fights against Stay Puft's Marshmallow Men (who can shoot you with flame balls and spawn rather relentlessy in waves) in the office building as you and Ray try to make it to the roof for the showdown with him.  I died in that section a few times before I worked out that it was smarter to ignore Ray's and the game's prompting to don the goggles and rather blast the offending office props (furniture etc) to shit in order to clear the floor so I could avoid getting stuck on bits of broken stuff during the upcoming battle.  This and many other gameplay issues were exactly the same on the 360 and PC version (which I picked up recently during the Steam sales over Christmas) which indicates that the game hadn't been playtested enough.  I find a rather sad thing for such a high profile license to be so poorly executed in terms of base gameplay.  

I did complete the game in both versions and it was only because I'm a huge fan of the first movie and the guys who made it.  Terminal Reality, on the other hand, really let me down.

Harold Ramis was particularly funny as the Dean of Admissions in Orange County while Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd have rarely rarely disappointed me ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.