Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

It's kinda alright...a bit dated in design

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By VWGTI

I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan and picked up the game along with the Blu Ray movie this afternoon. I'm home from work and put about an hour of play into the game so far and it's just ok at this point. Some of the dialogue is kinda flat and not as humorous as I'm sure they wanted it to be. The gameplay is a mixed bag so far. When you're allowed to zap ghosts with your proton pack and capture them it's great, but when you see a ghost, zap it, chase it, and repeat until you get to the part where you're supposed to catch it - it all just feels very dated. Almost like a PS2 game in design.

However, the graphics are quite good as is the soundtrack. And like I said, when you're allowed to blast ghosts it sure is fun. I don't know, I think I've just gone through an incredibly long tutorial sequence, which I'm pretty sick of seeing in games these days. Stop holding the players hand so damn much. Get the game going already. It'll be interesting to see how this game is after a few more hours of play.

Anyone else agree?

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I couldn't dissagree with you more.  I personally think it's hilarious.  I do, however, have issues with the load screens and am also experiencing frustration when it comes to actually capturing the ghost in its trap.  Other than that the game is great.  Slightly frustrating at times, but everything I expected from the Ghostbusters name.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

I think it's better than PS2 level as far as action gameplay goes.  The controls are very smooth, easily top tier level.  That may not sound impressive but there's still some games that don't have really tight and smooth controls.  They did smart stuff like not locking you into a 'help the other Ghostbusters stand up' animation, which some games still fail on as well.  The gameplay won't win any awards on its own, but capturing ghosts is pretty solid.

The graphics are solid as well but it's definitely not going to blast anyone out of their seats.

The story is alright so far, the acting is decent, some jokes are pretty good.  Timing is one of the worst flaws in the presentation.  Could have been improved a lot with some better motion capture and lip sync I think.  Maybe some more dramatic camera angles as well.

I think just the fact that the gameplay is as solid as it is keeps the game from being truly mediocre.  The ghost combat is really unconventional, but it works better than I expected.  There are popular games coming out that have more flaws in their gameplay.  If anything it's just a bit dull at times in Ghostbusters.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By VWGTI

@ Diamond

I agree that the controls are very smooth. In fact they're so smooth I didn't even think to mention them because controlling everything all felt so natural. Good point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.