Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

PS3 or X360?

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

Is the Ghostbusters: The Video Game better on the PS3 or the same as the XBOX 360? 

I know it's pretty rare that someone on GB has played both versions already, but maybe like a Staffer will even shed some light if they do a review (or any other Professional Reviewers that post here). 

I remember in a Dev Preview Video thingy a while back, one of the Ghostbusters Devs had said that the physics were better on the PS3 due to the SPU's.  Is this still the case, or are both final versions of the game pretty much the same? 

If they're the same, then I may get the X360 version later down the road, when I'm done with my current back-log of games. 

Thanks for any light that anyone can shed! :)

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By willylo

I've heard through a few podcasts that the PS3 version lacks a few polishing effects compared to the 360 version. Such as the beams in the 360 version will leave a nice burn mark and singe, where the PS3 version just leaves a black burn mark.

No mention about physics though.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

I'll probably get the 360 version once the price drops down.  I wont be getting this game right away.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Luke

After reading this, XBOX 360 it is: 

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974 

All I want to say is... wtf is Sony doing this generation?  How could they let another thing like this happen?  Did they just get lucky with their first 2 consoles or did some retards take-over during the PS3 era?  Christ.

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5  Edited By MikeydCT

Im buying the 360 version and going to rent the wii version

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#6  Edited By Lazyaza
    @Luke said:
    " After reading this, XBOX 360 it is: 

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974  All I want to say is... wtf is Sony doing this generation?  How could they let another thing like this happen?  Did they just get lucky with their first 2 consoles or did some retards take-over during the PS3 era?  Christ. "
    I'm quite surprised their are still devs out their making multiplatform titles who still dont know how to make ps3 run their game properly.   I haven't seen a ps3 version of a game look this bad in well over a year, wtf Ghostbusters devs.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

PS3

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By azteris
    @Luke said:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974  All I want to say is... wtf is Sony doing this generation?  How could they let another thing like this happen?  Did they just get lucky with their first 2 consoles or did some retards take-over during the PS3 era?  Christ. "
    Obviously, this is Sony's fault.

You know what, I'm not even going to be facetious. It's Terminal Reality's fault, plain and simple. Chalk it up to their shitty development or perhaps they lied about PS3 being the lead. However, I fail to see how Sony is at fault because Terminal Reality screwed up.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60
    @Luke said:

Wow...the PS3 version looks terrible.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By JonathanMoore

... and Microsoft wins...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Luke said:

I played the review copy last week and the PS3 version looks fine. But the game is rough - it suffers from a lot of glitches and frame-rate issues.

That's not Sony's fault though. It's poor programming. If developers want to reap the revenue from putting a game on a different platform they should make sure it's coded equally for all. Virtually everyone can do it these days. There are no excuses.

EDIT: I'd also question the legitimacy of the source. Having played the PS3 version, I certainly don't remember it being as rough as this article insinuates. But alas - perhaps the XBOX 360 is that much better. I can't compare as I've only played the PS3 version.
    Avatar image for shogunsupremacy
    ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShogunSupremacy

Well this is a huge bummer because I really wanna play this game and I want to play it on my PS3 but everyone is bashing the PS3 version so I may wait for a price drop also.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By HydraHam

I own the ps3 version and i don't notice all these problems people are saying..  runs great looks great and its a fun game..

SnakeSDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By SnakeSDR

The only thing I've noticed between the two versions, is the already mentioned scorch marks from the proton streams. The 360 leaves nice little embers in the scorch marks, whereas the ps3 version just leaves a black mark. Also when burning the Stay Pufft dude, the scorches on his body are more detailed on the 360. I honestly thought we had gotten past the poorer looking ps3 versions of yesteryear, but I guess some devs still struggle with the PS3's architecture.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Luke
    @Azteris:
    &
    @get2sammyb:

It kind of is Son'y fault.  Doesn't Sony own Paramount and aren't they also Publishing the game themselves in Europe?  You'd think Sony would have gotten more involved with the development and really helped to make the game shine on the PS3 before release. 

I feel really bad for Europe who won't have a choice at release, and must purchase the PS3 version if they want it right away. 

Also, I feel like the Terminal Reality Dev lied in his interview by saying those things about the PS3 and how it was the lead platform.  If I was the Big Cheese Head of Terminal Reality and one of my guys said this, I would either A. Make his statements true 100% before release or B. Fire him.  Or, actually, I would do both. 

Anyway, it's just sad that this is still happening these days.
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eelcire

I'll be picking up the 360 version tonight at Toys R Us and take advantage of the $20 gift card. That comparison video doesn't look to do the PS3 version justice, but even so the game is still Ghostbusters and from what I've been reading it sounds to be a blast! Work can't end soon enough...

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By fugie7

getting it on the 360.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Luke: They're publishing the game in Europe because Atari don't exist here anymore. They're gone, dead, done, nada. They don't exist. Sony are publishing the game in Europe because: a) it wouldn't be coming out on anything next week if they weren't; and b) presumably they wanted it out when originally planned because they have the blu-rays coming too. That makes sense for Sony - but it also doesn't mean it was intentional and that they should have been involved with the development at all.

I really don't see how Colombia Pictures or whoever it is has anything to do with Terminal Reality's programming.

But I agree about them lying about lead platform. Whatever -- I think a lot of you are going to find that the game is suitably rough on the XBOX 360 too. The game succeeds because of an excellent script and great voice acting. As an actual video game - it's glitchy and not entirely well designed.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @Luke: They're publishing the game in Europe because Atari don't exist here anymore. They're gone, dead, done, nada. They don't exist. Sony are publishing the game in Europe because: a) it wouldn't be coming out on anything next week if they weren't; and b) presumably they wanted it out when originally planned because they have the blu-rays coming too. That makes sense for Sony - but it also doesn't mean it was intentional and that they should have been involved with the development at all.I really don't see how Colombia Pictures or whoever it is has anything to do with Terminal Reality's programming.But I agree about them lying about lead platform. Whatever -- I think a lot of you are going to find that the game is suitably rough on the XBOX 360 too. The game succeeds because of an excellent script and great voice acting. As an actual video game - it's glitchy and not entirely well designed. "
    You can't know if they turned down a different publisher that wanted to put it out on all systems, or if they delay a deal with them due to Sony making a more enticing offer for the PS3/delay alone. Nobody really knows anything, just some speculate pro-sony and some anti-sony.

Anyway, from what I see the 360 version looks much sharper but I doubt it matters for most people's setup or viewing distance.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Al3xand3r: You're correct. I can't know that. But seeing as Atari only pulled out of Europe a few weeks ago, I can assume that Sony pushed this through for the sake of the timing of their blu-ray. I'm also going to assume that no-one else would be in a position to do so as quickly.

But regardless, that's not the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is - it's not Sony's fault whether the developer did or didn't put in the requirements to make the game presentable on the PS3. And don't give me the "it's difficult to code for bullshit" because 99% of multiplatform releases this year have been virtually identical.

If you want the revenue, you should do the adequate work. Or just not bother at all.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By get2sammyb

Just to clear this up because I knew there was a fish in the works with that website's source, Terminal Reality's lead character artist made a comment on the "comparison" and confirmed that they were comparing a pre-release version of the PS3 Ghostbusters where textures are downgraded.

Ahem. Damage has been done now I assume.

Here's your more reliable Gametrailers comparison. Feel free to pause, zoom and dissect at your will to ensure maximum gaming experience. /sarcasm.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/360-ps3-comparison-ghostbusters/51636

They look identical to me. As always the PS3 version is slightly "brighter". That's all I see.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @Al3xand3r: You're correct. I can't know that. But seeing as Atari only pulled out of Europe a few weeks ago, I can assume that Sony pushed this through for the sake of the timing of their blu-ray. I'm also going to assume that no-one else would be in a position to do so as quickly.

But regardless, that's not the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is - it's not Sony's fault whether the developer did or didn't put in the requirements to make the game presentable on the PS3. And don't give me the "it's difficult to code for bullshit" because 99% of multiplatform releases this year have been virtually identical.If you want the revenue, you should do the adequate work. Or just not bother at all. "
    Feel free to assume whatever, just don't patronise others for assuming different. You should also change your alignment to Sony though. And I never said anything about the PS3 being worse or harder to develop for or anything of that sort, I simply restricted discussion to this game.

As for the news about the comparison, oh well, they should not have sent out that version. If not true, lol. The GT comparison does reveal the differences are not as significant in motion as in screenshots at the very least, and I already said earlier it probably doesn't matter even if true.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Al3xand3r: Why would I make my alignment blue when I grew up with Nintendo? Just because I feel disillusioned with them at the moment does mean I suddenly stopped loving them.

The comment about the Playstation's programming was indicative to the original point I was trying to make which you skewed by changing the point of discussion.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

You should because it's clear anyway. And I didn't skew anything, I came in a thread about "PS3 or 360" and said my piece based on the evidence given throughout the thread, without putting any given system down. Then you responded as if I did that. No sir.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Al3xand3r: *sigh*. I hate having to respond to your posts. To think I supported Greece that year they won the European Cup.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Oh my, I should just accept your responses that include things I never claimed (PS3 suxxx & is hard to develop!!11). I'm so sorry. Sigh indeed.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Al3xand3r: You're taking the entirety of my response aimed directly at you, when it was taken at the value of the thread in general. Either way - we're both guilty of taking this thread off-topic right now so I'mma steer it back...

... Is the online working for anyone? I tried for about 20 minutes last night and it just kept crashing on the PS3.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By mike

If you guys want to keep arguing, take it to PM's.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By EpicSteve

Greg Miller from Ign has said both versions are identical. However, the PS3 is at a loss with some very minor graphical details. Mainly the aftermath of the proton beam hitting the wall. But we're at a point that most people couldn't tell the difference between PS3 and 360 games.

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Jerusahat

The Eurogamer face-off will be up tomorrow. 360 vs PS3

TR back-peddled in the ghostbusters.net thread, and a mod subsequently locked it. I agree that most multi-platform games look pretty similar, but TR have seriously screwed up somewhere. The PS3 version is rendering at near-SD quality.
    DamaskRose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DamaskRose

wow, i bought the PS3 version, im regretting that choice now i think i may trade it and wait for the 360 or get it imported as its region free

DamaskRose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DamaskRose

okay i want to order ghostbusters for 360 as its region free but its not out over in england until october, now amazon quoted me $110 which is nearly £70, and games over here are usually £40 i really dont want to pay that, can i get it cheaper or am i going to have to bit the bullet on this one?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.