Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Seriously, what the hell is with the excitement for this game?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

Why is everyone getting excited for this game.  I just don't see the value in this game.

Can anyone explain why I should give two cents on this game?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

The excitement is based on the Ghostbusters IP, not on the game itself.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kilzombie

The game looks fun, I'd love to try it out.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Pie

Im with you Godwing. Im gonna guess that this wont be very good or good but very short.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

this game looks awesome 

cant wait to try it
    Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Matt_

It is simply because Ghostbusters is beloved by a lot of us video game players and the parts of the game we have seen don't look like the usual movie game that fails miserably.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

No? On the HD systems the gameplay has been likened to Left 4 Dead quality co-op goodness, except beaming and trapping ghosts instead of shooting up zombies, while on the Wii it's been created by the same dudes that made Mushroom Men, a good if a little flawed platformer, and of course it's the type of game that uses the Wii's strength for its core mechanic, the IR pointing, which should add a great feel to the ghost battling. Of course the most mainstream hype comes from the IP, but I'd think gamers know not to get excited by those alone nowadays, and simply look for the value in the actual game, which all versions seem to have plenty of, until reviews say otherwise of course, cos you know, appearances can be deceiving as always. Either way, beaming and trapping is certainly a nice variation of the usual shooting mechanics, if it's done right.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

I think this game will be sweet. It is written and acted by the original crew, and the game looks to be a lot of fun and mayhem. I think many people care about it.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Godwind
    Al3xand3r said:
    "No? On the HD systems the gameplay has been likened to Left 4 Dead quality co-op goodness, except beaming and trapping ghosts instead of shooting up zombies, while on the Wii it's been created by the same dudes that made Mushroom Men, a good if a little flawed platformer, and of course it's the type of game that uses the Wii's strength for its core mechanic, the IR pointing, which should add a great feel to the ghost battling. Of course the most mainstream hype comes from the IP, but I'd think gamers know not to get excited by those alone nowadays, and simply look for the value in the actual game, which all versions seem to have plenty of, until reviews say otherwise of course, cos you know, appearances can be deceiving as always. Either way, beaming and trapping is certainly a nice variation of the usual shooting mechanics, if it's done right."

We can only understand from the Rose Tinted Glasses.
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Eelcire
    Godwind said:
    "Why is everyone getting excited for this game.  I just don't see the value in this game.Can anyone explain why I should give two cents on this game?"

Better question would be why not be excited? It's Ghostbusters! From what I've read, the game is based on what was to be the third movie; though at this point it looks like a third movie is being made anyways. I think part of the excitement all stems from the fact that most of the original cast is back.

Serious questions, how old are you? After all, Ghostbusters is a product of the eighties, and might not have the fanbase of the younger crowd.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Godwind
    Eelcire said:
    "Godwind said:
    "Why is everyone getting excited for this game.  I just don't see the value in this game.Can anyone explain why I should give two cents on this game?"
    Better question would be why not be excited? It's Ghostbusters! From what I've read, the game is based on what was to be the third movie; though at this point it looks like a third movie is being made anyways. I think part of the excitement all stems from the fact that most of the original cast is back.Serious questions, how old are you? After all, Ghostbusters is a product of the eighties, and might not have the fanbase of the younger crowd."
    From the late 80's.  1988.  Also, Ghostbusters is one of the most iconic titles anyways.  There were even 90's cartoon series based on it.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

There were two cartoon series: The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheKidNixon

I think that a large part of the excitement does come from the fact that it, like quite a few games these days actually, looks like a licensed game that isn't complete ass. It has been developed for a while now (but not like DNF worrisome long,) and all the interviews that I've heard from the developers it sounds like they have a love for the franchise's humor and fun-factor.

Yes, nostalgia has to do a big part with the excitement, but also the fact that Ghostbusters on its own seems like a franchise that was ripe for a current-gen video game. You have the trademarked weapons and gadgets, the built-in co-op aspect and a built-in history to play into. My only fear for the game as of right now is that it is overly extended by having to hit all the expected dressings from the films and won't bring much original. Yes, I'm excited to fight Stay Puff and go back to the hotel from the original game, but I also hope it isn't just revisiting expected locations. I hope that is some sense of forward direction; otherwise, the idea that this is the "third movie" in game form doesn't really play, because say what you will about the benefits of another Ghostbusters movie, rehashing the two existing movies isn't the direction it would go in.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I've not see any hype over this game not on giantbomb, or gamespot or any where there has been news about it but nothing so much as hype.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheKidNixon
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "I've not see any hype over this game not on giantbomb, or gamespot or any where there has been news about it but nothing so much as hype."
    I think the hype-train has died down a bit, but there were a few weeks back there when Ghostbusters got quite a bit of talk on the Bombcast, and its own special bonus episode. I think a lot of the talk happened a couple months ago because that was when the game had its last hardcore PR cycle; expect a little bit more talk in the week or so leading up to the game.
    Avatar image for doyoubelieveitnow
    doyoubelieveitnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well first of all, it's Ghostbusters which was reason enough for me to raise my ears. Now that I've seen the gameplay I'm even more excited! It looks like a genuinely fun game, in my opinion. And something a little different than just another Gears of War clone or something (Not that there's anything wrong with those either).

Anyway there's still a few weeks tlil it comes out so to prepare I just bought the Real Ghostbusters season 1 on DVD! It's reminded me why I love the series so much, and now I'm even more psyched for this game! The special features on the dvds are great also, it's been a while since I've seen such a comprehensive dvd collection.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By pweidman

Dunno...I never got into the movie, but I recently got a message from Game Crazy w/Akroid(sp?)pimping the game...pretty funny really...I guess he's really part of the franchise promotion now.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#18  Edited By psykhophear

Why is everyone excited? Because it's an official release of a Ghostbusters sequel after almost 20 years. I'm a big Ghostbusters fan and I've been dying for a sequel after GB II in 1989 and finally my wish came true. And what makes this thing a big deal is because the fact that the sequel is not in movie form but in a video game form. How cool is that?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HandsomeDead

Yeah, it's the IP combined with the fact it doesn't look totally worthless like most movie tie-ins. For me anyway.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Vinchenzo

Because I can't wait for some crazy achievements.

spectre251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spectre251
    @doyoubelieveitnow said:
    " well first of all, it's Ghostbusters which was reason enough for me to raise my ears. I just bought the Real Ghostbusters season 1 on DVD! It's reminded me why I love the series so much, and now I'm even more psyched for this game! The special features on the dvds are great also, it's been a while since I've seen such a comprehensive dvd collection. "
    I used to watch that show everyday growing up and also bought the Volume 1 DVD to get myself more pumped for the Ghostbusters game.  I love everything ghostbusters and just really can't wait until this stuff comes out.  
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By matthew

How old are you?  Did you grow up with Ghostbusters?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.