Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gnomoria

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 23, 2016

A sandbox village management game in the vein of Dwarf Fortress, but instead of dwarves you have gnomes you need to care for.

Gnomoria, anyone tried it?

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sjupp

With the recent Dwarf Fortress craze I tried DF again and boy is it a lot to take in. I figured I'd see what this Gnomoria thing is and I wonder if y'all have any experience with it?

I'm in the process of firing up the demo right now anyways so I'll probably update this thread with my thoughts.

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By StealthRaptor

I would like to know as well. I haven't found any good LPs out in the wild.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I've never heard of it, but I'm about to download and give demo a try. I haven't played Dwarf Fortress either.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Loafsmooch

Have not tried gnomoria, but on a related note I've tried Towns. It's also a graphical version of DF with a modernized interface, did have quite a few hours of fun with it.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Christoffer

I didn't know it was a demo. I thought it was just paid alpha/beta. Please let us know if it's good.

As of DF. I seem to have the exact amount of patients as Dave had with it. It's an awesome concept hidden deep within an inconsistant menu system that wants to eat time. By the old "time between thought and action" ratio, DF is way over bounds.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sjupp

First (five minutes) impressions

I'm watching this video while I play my own game.

It's definitely way easier to pick up than DF. Maybe it's because I don't know anything about it but just looking at the stockpiling options you can tell what stuff is going to be in this game. It has patrol routes and a variety of mechanisms so I could see playing this game for a while without feeling limited and/or wanting to migrate to DF.

I feel like I've got a good grasp of the controls already and using a mouse works fine.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmilingPig

I tried Gnomoria and its a simpler version of DF. I did not buy it because I think that the greater game here, by far, is DF.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sjupp

That went fast. Well, I definitely felt like playing more after the demo was up and I learnt a lot of stuff for the next playthrough. I've already spent way too much on this steam sale and knowing that I might get something deeper and more complex for free (DF) makes me uncertain about whether or not to buy this game. I probably am though, what the hell.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

A good explanation of what Gnomoria is right now would be to compare Civilization Revolution to Civilzation IV.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sjupp

I called it "DF for babies"

I like it.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Jrad

It's missing a lot of the complexity that makes DF what it is. Neither DF nor Gnomoria are particularly competent management games (see Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius for better done attempts) but DF is great because of the completely ridiculous approach of trying to simulate literally everything, which leads to, pardon the use of buzz words, "emergent gameplay". Gnomoria has potential, but its similarities to DF are surface-deep, and it's evidently trying to go about things in a different way.

That said, I hope Gnomoria will draw more people into the genre and prepare them for the delve into Dwarf Fortress, which is undoubtedly the better product (currently).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

Yeah, this is pretty fun. I tried to play DF but I was confused and I don't like the way it looks.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#13  Edited By donutfever

Kno, I haven't.

Partisan189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Partisan189

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.