Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War: Ascension

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

Before he was a God, Kratos was a man. A prequel, God of War: Ascension is the fourth major title of the God of War series, and Kratos' final outing on the PS3. It is the first to include a multiplayer component.

Is God of War: Ascension worth it?

mattschwabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What do you guys think? I loved the PS2 games, skipped 3, but the Power Stone elements of the multiplayer are really piquing my interest. I was a huge Power Stone fan back in the day and the CTF gameplay they showed in the Quick Look seemed awesome.

To those that bought the game, was it worth it? Are there a lot of people playing the multiplayer? Does it have a lot of replayability, or is it limited?

Thanks.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grab 3 off e-bay for like £5 and you'll be sorted until ascension is like £10.

I love all the gods of war. I appreciate them for what they are. Critics seem to want to much from kratos these days. He is a bad ass and he fucks things up. That's all he is and all he was ever meant to be. God of war 3 is triumphant. Ascension a little less so.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By awesomeusername

I've played about 3 hours of multiplayer so far and even though I always get stuck with a shit team, I like it. It's pretty good and I'm liking the campaign so far. It has your big set piece moments and ripping enemies apart. I also like the prequel aspect of it. Interesting to see how it started.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Tidel

@mattschwabby:

It's my favourite God of War since 2, so I'd say yes.

I think it has the best pacing, level design, puzzles and art direction of the franchise. I went through the campaign once on Normal (9 hours) and keep getting delayed in my Hard attempt because of multiplayer. I'm no great shakes at it, but it's incredibly fun and satisfying.

The only mark against replayability is that the mp has taken the place of all the ancillary challenge modes offered in the other games. For solo challenge you can play Trial of the Gods (mp map populated with monsters, timed), but there isn't the same breadth of post-game options. Longevity depends on how much you'll enjoy the mp.

There have been some server issues and some matchmaking issues, but it appears that a lot of folks are playing. I've never waited in queue more than a minute or so.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I can only comment on the SP, as I have tried the MP and it was not for me. Posted these in another place but they're relevant to the topic so just pasting them in:

Ascension is nowhere near as bombastic as God of War 3. Lacks in polish which has been the trademark of the series. The locations are not as iconic, interesting or as diverse. Kratos move set is way more limited. Combat is not quite as fluid. There is only 1 boss moment that measures up to the over the topness of the fights in 3. The gore and violence is toned down. Kratos is less of an angry asshole (which is kinda sad). Camera not as well directed. And on top of that all the game has very buggy sound that is constantly either dropping altogether or is fluctuating the volumes of various sources. It is a stripped down experience in every way imo.

Can't really say if MP is worth it, but i didn't like it so stopped playing after a few matches.

I went back and put in my God of War 3 disk just to check that my rose tinted goggles aren't on; sure enough it was instantly a more enjoyable experience. I'm having more fun replaying the same content of 3, then I did playing Ascension.

So if you did not play 3 yet, I say go get GoW3 for very cheap and wait for Ascension to drop in price.

mattschwabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mattschwabby

@carryboy: I didn't get a PS3 until after it came out. After that, I guess I just never got around to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.