Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War: Ascension

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

Before he was a God, Kratos was a man. A prequel, God of War: Ascension is the fourth major title of the God of War series, and Kratos' final outing on the PS3. It is the first to include a multiplayer component.

No idea why, but this is currently free on PSN *UPDATE*

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/god-of-war-ascension-ultimate-edition/cid=UP9000-BCUS98232_00-GOWADIGITALULTIM

So I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, but I (along with others) were able to purchase the God of War: Ascension Ultimate Edition for $0.00.

I know this isn't a great game and all, but who could say no to free?

UPDATE: Sorry people looks like it really was a pricing error that has been fixed.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

That's the right price.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hmm, for me, it's giving a price of Free but when I try to check out, a subtotal of $8.00. Still, nice catch!

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the rumors towards GoW:A PS4 remaster, i'm pretty sure this not a glitch at all.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oodli

Are you sure its free? When I go to the cart it says that the price is 8.00$

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seems to have been a pricing error. I was apparently quick on the draw and grabbed it, but now everyone's saying $8.00.

I'll be curious to see if the game stays in my library. Does Sony normally honor errors?

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if this matters at all, but I purchased it off the online application off of my phone. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oodli: Yeah I was able to purchase it and I don't have a form of payment attached to my account anymore.

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Saying $12 for me now on the website.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As mentioned, it says free, but if you go to check out it says I need $8. I tried removing my credit card information, but that doesn't change anything.

I'm guessing it was a glitch that they've only half fixed so far.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only thing i can find is the Ultimate edition on mobile which is $12,

But the DLC pack seems to be free: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/god-of-war-ascension-ultimate-dlc-bundle/cid=UP9000-NPUA98232_00-ALLDLC0000000000

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it for $8. The ultimate addition or whatever its called. That might be why the DLC is currently free.

I was never one to parry much in GoW so I have hopes I can adjust to the combat alright. Actually really look forward to playing it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Ascension isn't terrible by any means, in fact I'd go as far as to say it might have the best combat in the series; the end game set-piece is also really memorable. The problem is that it's ultimately just more God of War, and there had already been five of 'em before it. Also, they took away Kratos' one defining characteristic--being his comically undying rage--in order to make him more likeable but instead resulted in him now being super bland and even less of a character. Still, Ascension's fine, just too same-y.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I thought the psp games offered a nice change of pace, with the hammers and shield in the one and the fire element in the other game. And I understand this one adds the elemental thing back and changes the parry mechanic too. And I guess some other changes, so that sounds like quite a bit of change to the combat tbh. And with the alternative a Ryu with a glowing arm or an Emo kid Dante, I think i'll prefer Kratos, still :)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

God what a terrible game this was. God of War 3 was bad, since it ruined the character of Kratos, turned him into a simple minded killer. But at least it had some good set pieced in the beginning of the game, the ending however with the labyrinth puzzles was a bore.

I thought this game would at least have some great set pieces, but in the end the only visual i remember was riding around on snake solving puzzles. Such a boring game, the only big boss in the game was just a recycled Poseidon fight in the beginning of the game.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The one shitty God of War game, its not even worth your time when its free.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dammit, I tried to download the thing last night and although I completely wiped my trusty old 80gb PS3 it will not install. The file is 35gig and it needs twice that to install.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@haniball: that was the one thing I always hated about the ps3.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agentboolen said:

@haniball: that was the one thing I always hated about the ps3.

On the upside though I can go out and buy a 500gb s-ata for pocket change. I think I will do that and simply download every unfinished PS3 game I have on PSN Makes it feel like more of a PC3 but still good to have the option.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@yummylee said:

Ascension isn't terrible by any means, in fact I'd go as far as to say it might have the best combat in the series; the end game set-piece is also really memorable. The problem is that it's ultimately just more God of War, and there had already been five of 'em before it. Also, they took away Kratos' one defining characteristic--being his comically undying rage--in order to make him more likeable but instead resulted in him now being super bland and even less of a character. Still, Ascension's fine, just too same-y.

This exactly. I played the entire saga recently and I would rather go back and play Ascension than most of the other God of War games. And as you said the weird thing is Kratos is so boring in it because he doesn't have his "rage" yet, thus he's this weird stoic character. And the games combat would've been the best in the series if they integrated the elements of your weapons, how did they not have fire, electric, ice enemies weak to other elements, that had to be cut from the game at some point as it just seems weird. Game gets too much shit in my opinion just like Dante's Inferno (but I may be alone on that one)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By rethla

@nightriff: Dantes Inferno is ok and a better game than GoW:A.

The problem with ascension is that they destroyed the absolute core mechanic (blocking) to try and handfist some multiplayer into the game. The supertight controlls became some sloppy latency mess that never felt good.

You could easily destroy any souls game by doing that exact change to the gameplay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.