Oh, Hey, There's Totally a Leaked God of War: Ascension Trailer [UPDATED]

Avatar image for mordukai
#201 Posted by mordukai (8481 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Djratchet said:

Don't know why people are shitting all over this game, even before we see gameplay footage. I for one, am all for more God of War and Kratos.

I think a lot of people aren't down for more God of War with Kratos, that's why they're shitting all over this game. I haven't even gotten around to playing GoW III, and even I feel this way...

Fuck em. Those same people are the ones who bitch about CoD game but will no doubt go and buy it. I like the GoW games because I enjoy the extremely well polished gameplay, the graphics, and the overall world. People are just down on it because it's the hip thing to do. This game will be awesome and well sell millions and those people can bitch and moan all they want.

Avatar image for cosmicqueso
#202 Posted by CosmicQueso (582 posts) -
Avatar image for phatmac
#203 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

More God of War is a good thing. Can't wait to see more.

Avatar image for churrific
#204 Edited by churrific (497 posts) -

Is this game going to involve normal human being Kratos? I wouldn't mind playing through some of that backstory. That's probably be kinda neat.

Avatar image for greeny83
#205 Posted by Greeny83 (54 posts) -

They're just milking the franchise at this point. Just like GoW3 wasn't quite as good as GoW2, you'll see another drop in quality here. They need to, at the very least, give the series a break for a few years.

Avatar image for spankingaddict
#206 Posted by spankingaddict (2939 posts) -

God of War is one of my favorite gaming franchises . That being said , I DON'T WANT THIS . : ( Make something fresh . We've already had two God of War prequels . I want a new game thats in the same boat as GOW ...

Avatar image for shrat
#207 Posted by Shrat (53 posts) -

ugh, what is wrong with you Alex. Enough with these stupid headlines already. They are not funny and never will be.

Avatar image for dan_citi
#208 Posted by Dan_CiTi (4578 posts) -

I guess I am one of those people who is mildly amused by Kratos from time to time, but ultimately ignores all that junk for the gameplay. Oh people.

Avatar image for franstone
#209 Edited by Franstone (1455 posts) -

@outerabiz said:

sweet, cant wait to see actual gameplay

I think we've all seen it...

It's called God of War 3.

; )

Avatar image for teh_destroyer
#210 Posted by teh_destroyer (3693 posts) -

More gore and boobies please.

Avatar image for iamnotbatman
#211 Posted by IAmNotBatman (701 posts) -

Oh look, a 6th God of War game. Hopefully it's not exactly the same game as the others.

Avatar image for thornie
#212 Posted by thornie (226 posts) -

You know what would have been awesome, a game where a new protagonist hunts and kills Kratos. I wonder if the rest of the world is as against this game as much as we all are. Probably not...

Avatar image for doctorwelch
#213 Posted by DoctorWelch (2817 posts) -

@Shrat said:

ugh, what is wrong with you Alex. Enough with these stupid headlines already. They are not funny and never will be.

I agree. His headlines are always so wordy and sarcastic, they usually just come off as unprofessional.

Avatar image for williamhenry
#214 Posted by WilliamHenry (1285 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

@Shrat said:

ugh, what is wrong with you Alex. Enough with these stupid headlines already. They are not funny and never will be.

I agree. His headlines are always so wordy and sarcastic, they usually just come off as unprofessional.

Because Giant Bomb is known for being the utmost, professional website ever right?

Avatar image for shaanyboi
#215 Posted by Shaanyboi (1541 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

@Shrat said:

ugh, what is wrong with you Alex. Enough with these stupid headlines already. They are not funny and never will be.

I agree. His headlines are always so wordy and sarcastic, they usually just come off as unprofessional.

Because this site is all about professionalism... now if you don't mind, I'm going to go watch an hour-long video of the crew playing Cards Against Humanity

Avatar image for tennmuerti
#216 Edited by Tennmuerti (9082 posts) -
@hermes said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Moncole said:

@Tennmuerti said:

People care about God of War story enough to make a difference if it's a sequel or prequel? That's cool i guees. Myself only ever played the games for the look and feel of the combat and to see Kratos fuck dudes up.

There are people who care and call it an amazing story.

Yep i said as much. (without the amazing part)Fascinating!

Hey, the first game was nothing short of genius.

They explain it better, though: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/no-redeeming-value

Sorry i can't in all seriousness consider a couple of minutes at the start and end of a game to be good story.
99% of the actual GoW had nothing to do with story, bar the get pandoras box defeat god premise.
And the rest of the GoW games had even less significant story then even that.
GoW was a gamplay masterpiece i'll give it that. But if I want a story less shallow then a puddle i'll read a book.
I can fully understand people caring about the story.
But calling it amazing? o.O
Art is subjective and all that, so maybe someone does find GoW story amazing, all one can do is be amazed in return.
 
As far as the video goes.
Calling a story genius simply because it adheres to a certain structure "greek tragedy" is laughable. It's the kind of genius that has long since been considered a cliche even in comic books. At least GoW1 had a story, that's true enough.
Heh they even atribute story stuff to Jaffe, a game designer who is quite open about his views on the place of story in videogames.
Extra Credtis, being as pretentious yet as shallow as ever at the same time, nothing new here.
Their videos are nice as an introduction to people who have little to no knowledge on the topics/issues, but little beyond that.
Avatar image for jonsmith
#217 Posted by JonSmith (174 posts) -

Hey, maybe as a prequel BEFORE he was consumed by rage and anger and betrayal and LACK OF AN INSIDE VOICE, he'll actually have a character with depth, one might say a 'personality', if you will. Beyond the aforementioned LACK OF AN INSIDE VOICE.

Avatar image for shaanyboi
#218 Posted by Shaanyboi (1541 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@Vitor said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Shaanyboi said:

Great. Another game for Kratos to run around, act like an angsty teenager, and just kill everything with no purpose or drive beyond "THEY HAVE BETRAYED ME". How...inspired.

I know, right? It was somewhat refreshing to play as someone who walks around with a comically large chip on his shoulder, but 5 games of that ''ARRRRGHDFHDFDGD KILLLL EVERYYYEONNNNE!!'', it gets tiring. In GoW3, Kratos truly succeeded his own level of assholishness... I mean good God (ugh), what a colossal twat. There's a point when an anti-hero stops being an anti-hero and becomes an all around jerk, and GoW3 steam rolled over that point a dozen times over.

Wow, totally thought I was alone in thinking that. The deaths of the Gods in 3 were so gruesome that I actually felt more uncomfortable than empowered when pulling them off and the way they portrayed Kratos, I mean, I totally thought it was some sort of meta-commentary from the devs as to how unlikable he really was.

Unfortunately that gave the new creative director way more credit than was due. I don't usually judge games on the moral message but man, GoW 3 was detestable.

Greek myths can be pretty nasty, and the Gods and demigods are frequently 'douchebags', I thought it fit nicely.
Kratos was so consumed by rage and hatred that by the end of his trilogy he just became a charicature of himself, I mean he eventually

killed himself because there was nothing left to kill, and to spite the last person he has any relationship with

I don't think they were pushing for him to be a hero at all, he was totally consumed.
killed himself because there was no one left to kill, and to spite the last person he has any sort of relationship with.

Except for that same ending where they try to justify all of Kratos' fucking tantrums over the series by saying "Well... ya see, everyone was consumed by evil. We just didn't mention it. And I guess you then represent 'hope' or something. So... I guess everything you did was a good thing? Yaaaayyy Kratos...!"

I was actually offended at that ending. I could feel the embodiment of my own intelligence crying due to this game thinking that I was that fucking stupid that it could somehow manipulate the context so much as to try and play Kratos off as some kind of savior.

Avatar image for depecheload
#219 Posted by depecheload (558 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@Vitor said:

Need to jam a giant cog in a door? Why not shove one of the infinitely respawning enemies into it?

What's that? You'd rather throw in this poor topless girl who's been screaming in fear while being forced forward by you the whole time? For literally no reason other than to be a dick? And then you're going to award me with a Trophy which reads 'I didn't but I wish I did?' Thereby creating some sort of crass rape joke at the expense of this poor girl you just brutally murdered. Because she's topless and teenagers love tits so therefore they'll totally get turned on by that.

... Ugh. Just. Ugh.

I believe it was meant to illustrate how Kratos is really a designated hero, only "heroic" because the gods are also assholes on an arguably bigger scale. People kept forgetting that a lot.

I think there are better ways of doing that then making that joke.

Avatar image for ghostiet
#220 Posted by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -
@depecheload said:

@Ghostiet said:

@Vitor said:

Need to jam a giant cog in a door? Why not shove one of the infinitely respawning enemies into it?

What's that? You'd rather throw in this poor topless girl who's been screaming in fear while being forced forward by you the whole time? For literally no reason other than to be a dick? And then you're going to award me with a Trophy which reads 'I didn't but I wish I did?' Thereby creating some sort of crass rape joke at the expense of this poor girl you just brutally murdered. Because she's topless and teenagers love tits so therefore they'll totally get turned on by that.

... Ugh. Just. Ugh.

I believe it was meant to illustrate how Kratos is really a designated hero, only "heroic" because the gods are also assholes on an arguably bigger scale. People kept forgetting that a lot.

I think there are better ways of doing that then making that joke.

Sure, though considering the cheapness of the puns used in most achievements that joke is expectable.
Avatar image for artgarcrunkle
#221 Edited by artgarcrunkle (988 posts) -

Hey it's that game I've played three times. Can't wait!

@WilliamHenry: Is that a good way to defend a headline that has all the verve of a sarcastic teen ironically saying grace? I like Alex articles but it is what it is dude.

Avatar image for tehmaxxorz
#222 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1190 posts) -

When I read the title, I knew it was Alex...

Avatar image for mikegosot
#223 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

I've never seen the appeal of the God of War games. Sure, they look pretty good, but gameplaywise... They look like mindless button mashers to me.

That's the appeal.
Avatar image for hermes
#224 Posted by hermes (2254 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@hermes said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Moncole said:

@Tennmuerti said:

People care about God of War story enough to make a difference if it's a sequel or prequel? That's cool i guees. Myself only ever played the games for the look and feel of the combat and to see Kratos fuck dudes up.

There are people who care and call it an amazing story.

Yep i said as much. (without the amazing part)Fascinating!

Hey, the first game was nothing short of genius.

They explain it better, though: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/no-redeeming-value

Sorry i can't in all seriousness consider a couple of minutes at the start and end of a game to be good story. 99% of the actual GoW had nothing to do with story, bar the get pandoras box defeat god premise. And the rest of the GoW games had even less significant story then even that. GoW was a gamplay masterpiece i'll give it that. But if I want a story less shallow then a puddle i'll read a book. I can fully understand people caring about the story. But calling it amazing or even good? o.OArt is subjective and all that, so maybe someone does find GoW story amazing, all one can do is be amazed in return. As far as the video goes.Calling a story genius simply because it adheres to a certain structure "greek tragedy" is laughable. It's the kind of genius that has long since been considered a cliche even in comic books. At least GoW1 had a story, that's true enough.Heh they even atribute story stuff to Jaffe, a game designer who is quite open about his views on the place of story in videogames. Extra Credtis, being s being as pretentious yet as shallow as ever at the same time, nothing new here. Their videos are nice as an introduction to people who have little to no knowledge on the topics/issues, but little beyond that.

Just to clarify, Jaffe was never against story in games, but story in the way of not interactive cutscenes or walls of text/dialogue.

Story in God of War is delivered in several different ways, everything from the puzzles to the character animations is carefully constructed to tell a certain story, a certain setting and a certain mood. To dismiss it because it has few cutscenes is as reductive as saying Half-Life has no story because there are no cutscenes and Freeman doesn't talk.

Avatar image for doctorwelch
#225 Posted by DoctorWelch (2817 posts) -

@WilliamHenry: @Shaanyboi: Go listen to Jeff answer some questions in the Jar videos and maybe you'll understand that cursing occasionally and doing crazy ridiculous stuff is a little different than being unprofessional.

Avatar image for joachimo
#226 Posted by joachimo (207 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

@Shrat said:

ugh, what is wrong with you Alex. Enough with these stupid headlines already. They are not funny and never will be.

I agree. His headlines are always so wordy and sarcastic, they usually just come off as unprofessional.

haters gonna hayt

Avatar image for dallas_raines
#227 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2269 posts) -

I'm guessing this was originally going to be a Vita game.

Avatar image for tennmuerti
#228 Edited by Tennmuerti (9082 posts) -
@hermes said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@hermes said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Moncole said:

@Tennmuerti said:

People care about God of War story enough to make a difference if it's a sequel or prequel? That's cool i guees. Myself only ever played the games for the look and feel of the combat and to see Kratos fuck dudes up.

There are people who care and call it an amazing story.

Yep i said as much. (without the amazing part)Fascinating!

Hey, the first game was nothing short of genius.

They explain it better, though: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/no-redeeming-value

Sorry i can't in all seriousness consider a couple of minutes at the start and end of a game to be good story. 99% of the actual GoW had nothing to do with story, bar the get pandoras box defeat god premise. And the rest of the GoW games had even less significant story then even that. GoW was a gamplay masterpiece i'll give it that. But if I want a story less shallow then a puddle i'll read a book. I can fully understand people caring about the story. But calling it amazing or even good? o.OArt is subjective and all that, so maybe someone does find GoW story amazing, all one can do is be amazed in return. As far as the video goes.Calling a story genius simply because it adheres to a certain structure "greek tragedy" is laughable. It's the kind of genius that has long since been considered a cliche even in comic books. At least GoW1 had a story, that's true enough.Heh they even atribute story stuff to Jaffe, a game designer who is quite open about his views on the place of story in videogames. Extra Credtis, being s being as pretentious yet as shallow as ever at the same time, nothing new here. Their videos are nice as an introduction to people who have little to no knowledge on the topics/issues, but little beyond that.

Just to clarify, Jaffe was never against story in games, but story in the way of not interactive cutscenes or walls of text/dialogue.

Story in God of War is delivered in several different ways, everything from the puzzles to the character animations is carefully constructed to tell a certain story, a certain setting and a certain mood. To dismiss it because it has few cutscenes is as reductive as saying Half-Life has no story because there are no cutscenes and Freeman doesn't talk.

You misinterpreted me quite a bit,.
That hyperbole of HL having no story is already falsely based in that I never said that GoW had no story.

In half life at least story happens, shit mvoes forward there are plot events that occur. (well at elast in Half Life 2)
Come to think of it the first Half Life had great atmosphere but there was not that much in a sense of story beyond the rudimentary. 
So in fact yes i'm fully prepared to dismiss Half Life story just as well.
 
What story are those puzzles and character animations telling you?
Setting and mood are not story by themselves, they are just setting and mood, they can at best support a story (whatever it's quality) and help an existing story, they don't create it by themselves. You still need some narative part, and it is exactly that which is lacking.
I never denied that GoW1 had story. 
I dismiss it because it is negligible and for the most part irrelevant, (in fact so much so as to be almost non existent bar the end of the game and the thin starting premise). Certainly not anything for which the series is highly known, remembered or loved for.
And even if one does concern onself with the story of that game, it is still at best an extremely shallow one.
Avatar image for winternet
#229 Posted by Winternet (8397 posts) -

Shocker!

Avatar image for avidwriter
#230 Posted by avidwriter (704 posts) -

Oh yea. Who didn't think this was gonna happen. They have a popular series that sells well and makes money. Better drop it start a new series am I right?

Avatar image for avidwriter
#231 Posted by avidwriter (704 posts) -

@IAmNotBatman said:

Oh look, a 6th God of War game. Hopefully it's not exactly the same game as the others.

That's all they can be.

Avatar image for batmanbatman
#232 Posted by BatmanBatman (561 posts) -

I think this prequel should be just a social Sim, it would have Kratos chilling at home with the wife and kid, making coffee, going to anger management. watching Xena etc...

Avatar image for olemarthin
#233 Posted by OleMarthin (352 posts) -

am i the only one who finds the woman saying "playstation" at the end of all ps3 trailers annoying? i remember at e3 last year at sony's press conference when they showed off a lot of cool trailers and they all ended with it.

Avatar image for captainanderson
#234 Posted by captainanderson (263 posts) -

@OleMarthin said:

am i the only one who finds the woman saying "playstation" at the end of all ps3 trailers annoying? i remember at e3 last year at sony's press conference when they showed off a lot of cool trailers and they all ended with it.

Are you twelve? Because Sony has been doing that since 1995.

Avatar image for moloney
#235 Posted by Moloney (56 posts) -

I really didn't care as much for GOW III as I thought I would. No real interest in this.

Avatar image for grognard66
#236 Posted by Grognard66 (79 posts) -

I wonder if Kratos gets really angry in this one.

Avatar image for olemarthin
#237 Posted by OleMarthin (352 posts) -

@captainanderson: no i'm 20, i never said that it was a new thing. old ting can still be annoying.

Avatar image for jcisg
#238 Posted by JCisG (18 posts) -

I haven't played any of the God of War games. I don't even have a Playstation. Not saying that if I did have a Playstation, that I wouldn't play them, or this new one for that matter.Looks cool.

Avatar image for dixego
#239 Posted by Dixego (412 posts) -

@Grognard66 said:

I wonder if Kratos gets really angry in this one.

The suspense...it kills me...

Avatar image for spoonman671
#240 Posted by Spoonman671 (5766 posts) -

I really didn't want another God of War game.  I felt the series was pretty much complete.  Of course, I'm still going to buy this one.
 
What's interested about this teaser, is that it seems to suggest that we'll be playing as a pre-Blades-of-Chaos Kratos, which could drastically alter the conventional God of War combat flow.  Maybe a good thing?

Avatar image for tesla
#241 Posted by Tesla (2126 posts) -

God of War: Art Not Final

Avatar image for jeust
#242 Posted by Jeust (11739 posts) -

Another sadistic murder fest.

Avatar image for yummylee
#243 Edited by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Djratchet said:

Don't know why people are shitting all over this game, even before we see gameplay footage. I for one, am all for more God of War and Kratos.

I think a lot of people aren't down for more God of War with Kratos, that's why they're shitting all over this game. I haven't even gotten around to playing GoW III, and even I feel this way...

Fuck em. Those same people are the ones who bitch about CoD game but will no doubt go and buy it. I like the GoW games because I enjoy the extremely well polished gameplay, the graphics, and the overall world. People are just down on it because it's the hip thing to do. This game will be awesome and well sell millions and those people can bitch and moan all they want.

I swear, this whole ''label people as CoD players as a derogative to justify your own opinion'' nob rot is like Godwin's law 2.0.

Speaking for myself, I haven't played a single Call of Duty again before. I've maybe put in a few minutes here and there, but I've never completed any of the campaigns, I've never played any CoD MP, and I've never bought a single Call of Duty product. And y'know what? Yeah, CoD is more or less the exact same situation (even if the GoW franchise at least disperse its entries between a few years), and just look at how much hate that gets. I think it's finally high time that GoW starts to receive some of the flak.

There's no denying that the GoW games are technical powerhouses and are extremely polished, but the fuck does that matter when across 5 games now, the only advancement the series has made is with its graphics? The same protagonist, set in yet another prequel (making this a prequel for a bloody prequel)... how I can not be so completely fed up when I've been performing the same few combos for years now... the only difference being there'll maybe be an additional move here or there. For a series like DMC, there's always new weapons try out, or characters even, to help diversify each entry; GoW has alternate weapons, but besides those Lion Gauntlets in GoW3, all alt weapons pale in their effectiveness to the chain blades. You don't get gain unique executions per weapon, and they would often leave you with less options at your disposal overall-like how you can't actually grab enemies with the purple sword in GoW1, or how the spear/shield has half the combo potential in Ghost of Sparta. And just look at GoW3... three new weapons, and two of them are just riffs on the chain blade motif. Laughable.

And fuck right off with that whole ''it's the hip thing to do''. It's not because it's ''hip'' (jesus, I can't believe you actually pulled that one...), it's because the series hasn't progressed at all and we've been stuck with the same character getting pissed off at everything forever. And to hear that we're actually going backwards (again), still with the same character, should be reason enough to understand why so many people are fed up. It's a completely reasonable reaction, and until they release news that proves otherwise (maybe this will be before Kratos receives his chain blades?..), it's one I'm personally going to firmly hold onto. So wipe off all the fanboyism off your monitor and try to exhibit some empathy here.

Avatar image for bighat_logan
#244 Posted by bighat_logan (191 posts) -

So it's another prequel?

Avatar image for mordukai
#245 Posted by mordukai (8481 posts) -

@Abyssfull: The comments on this thread begs the differ. Also, shitting all over a popular game is very much the hip thing to do. you got a problem with the GOW game don't buy them. I know anything out of the Santa Monica guys will be awesome and will sell millions of copies and no matter how you and anyone else will bitch about is going to change that.

Avatar image for intangible_360
#246 Posted by Intangible_360 (59 posts) -

Yawn...

Avatar image for gunslingernz
#247 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1999 posts) -

God of War is one of the few action franchises left that I still enjoy so really looking forward to this one. I am a little surprised to see that this game is coming out on the PS3 though. I guess they spent so much money developing GOW3 that they had to find some way to use the tech again.

I'm sure the combat and environments in this game will be amazing but they really need to do something fresh with the story. Kratos being angry just aint gonna cut it.

Avatar image for yummylee
#248 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@Abyssfull: The comments on this thread begs the differ. Also, shitting all over a popular game is very much the hip thing to do. you got a problem with the GOW game don't buy them. I know anything out of the Santa Monica guys will be awesome and will sell millions of copies and no matter how you and anyone else will bitch about is going to change that.

...That's my response? You basically retreading exactly what you said in the first place... Tsch. I guess that should a game make millions, we are hereby exempt from any sort of discussion, so says Mr Mordukai. Oh, well!

Avatar image for hailinel
#249 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@Abyssfull: The comments on this thread begs the differ. Also, shitting all over a popular game is very much the hip thing to do. you got a problem with the GOW game don't buy them. I know anything out of the Santa Monica guys will be awesome and will sell millions of copies and no matter how you and anyone else will bitch about is going to change that.

So a game is exempt from criticism if it's popular?

What?

Avatar image for napalm
#250 Posted by Napalm (9230 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@mordukai said:

@Abyssfull: The comments on this thread begs the differ. Also, shitting all over a popular game is very much the hip thing to do. you got a problem with the GOW game don't buy them. I know anything out of the Santa Monica guys will be awesome and will sell millions of copies and no matter how you and anyone else will bitch about is going to change that.

So a game is exempt from criticism if it's popular?

What?

ART.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.