Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Aren't You Tired Of The Same Game?

TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TNK1

I'm not trying to make the fanboys go crazy on me or anything but aren't you tired of playing the same game? I mean all the games are exactly the same as the first one. Just new weapons,better graphics,and more gore. Basically there expensive expansion packs. I mean there are way better games like Devil May Cry 3,Bayonetta,Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, and more. All of those games have way deeper fighting systems and harder gameplay. Now the only thing God Of War really has on those games are lots of gore and and epic bosses but even Bayonetta has some epic bosses. What are your thoughts? Is it because the crazy lovable main character Kratos(voiced by my man T.C. Carson), The Epic Moments or what? No crazy ppl plz.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By GoofyGoober

If it works and people love it, why change it? The god of war formula is simple and people love it. No need to change it. If you want a deeper hack and slash game then go and pick up NG or Devil may cry.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By owl_of_minerva

In video-games, you can't fetishise novelty as such, as there are finite genres/play mechanics/concepts: sometimes advances in technology allow for sweeping mechanical changes, but most of the time each genre will produce largely similar experiences. So no, the problem is not whether God of War and its sequels are the same, but whether they are good.

TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TNK1
    @owl_of_minerva: U sir/mam have a good point.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael
    @owl_of_minerva: Novelty can translate to quality. If something comes along that's good because -- and only (or at least mostly) because -- it's unusual, new, inventive et cetera, then a sequel that's the same will be boring -- in these cases, "whether it's the same" and "whether it's good" are one and the same. 

I wouldn't say that God of War is one of these cases, though. Santa Monica did (and still do) little more than take Rygar: The Legendary Adventure, improve the graphics and add QTEs.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Akeldama

Aren't Halo fans tired of Halo? No.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

If people play it the same way then sure they might get tired of it, but I try and play each GoW game differently, especially with GoW3 the combo listings were in the hundreds.
    TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TNK1
    @Icemael: U sir/mam has the best answer so far. I salute u.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By turboman

Isn't Half Life 2 just an expansion pack of Half Life 1?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SSully

Why in gods name would i want God of War to be different? As long as they can give the game the same bad ass feel and continue the story in a good way i will gladly like another one.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

1.  Every console God Of War game doesn't come out within a year of each other, 2005, 2007, 2010. 
    2.  Every God Of War improves on the last version; visually, tech wise, gameplay.  
    3.  It seemed you made this thread because you don't like God Of War and you want us to agree with you. 
    4.  A lot of sequels are like what you said; Halo is like Halo, MW2 is like MW, RockBand 3 is like RockBand 2. 
    5.  I played the NG and DMC game and I enjoyed them a lot because they are great game but the GOW games are great too.  In fact I prefer that game, and before you ask I beat DMC 3 and DMC 4 on hard and Dante Must Die willingly and enjoyed it so don't say I prefer GOW because I think it''s easier when I believe that the hardest difficulty is like playing the level under Dante Must Die to me.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

God of War works because of satisfying gameplay mechanics, a context for the main character to basically be berserk from start to finish and has a story which plays like a good Clash of the Titans. It may fall into the same category as other character action games, but it's a pretty different beast.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Icemael:  Isn't there a distinction between say novelty or evolution and having to reinvent the wheel every single time? It would have been possible to add different elements to God of War that aren't in themselves brand new for instance. What I was attacking is the notion that games have to always be new, not suggesting that sequels should be more of the same. But some people's definition of the 'same' game is astoundingly broad.
    In any case, I still think it's best to view the God of War games on their merits as games rather than their novelty: as you say, it was never new.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By EVO

Are you high?

You criticize God of War for being more of the same then go on to praise Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @TNK1:  No not really I love the God of War Series. I do burn out of certain type of games after some time though. But I have only played the console God of War games and they weren't rushed out the gate like a lot of games so I wasn't playing it to much. I was only a fan of the first DMC, and I thought the first Ninja Gaiden was the shit. For some reason I couldn't get into Ninja Gaiden 2. You want to talk about tired games lets talk JRPG (which I used to love) and military shooters.
    TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TNK1
    @SethPhotopoulos:  Dude I like the god of war series but it seems like the same stuff I've been playing since 2005. I'm not trying to get you to agree with me or anything I just wanna know what other ppl think. And you sir/mam have a valid point unlike other people who say I love GoW but the games u listed are sucky and have bad graphics.
    Kokoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Kokoro

Ever heard the saying "if it's not broke,don't fix it?"? Sequels are usually similar to the previous game. That's just how it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e114a345bdd
    deactivated-58e114a345bdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't people get tired of shooting dudes in the face? God of war games aren't really being milked when they are taking 3 years in between games.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Fbomb

Plenty of games I'm tired of. Shooters, JRPGS Western RPGs, Car Combat, Sports Games, Survival Horror, 3rd Person Shooters, Isometric Shooters, tower-defense, etc, etc. But, just because I am, doesn't mean other people don't like them. There aren't too many games in a franchise that don't borrow heavily from their previous game mechanics, so I don't get the argument you're trying to make.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.