Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

God of War 3 (PS4 Edition) - good place to start?

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey,

So I am wondering. Would God of War 3 be a good game to get into the series with on the PlayStation 4? Has it got upgrades that are worth the extra cost for the re-mastered version?

Thank you.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

God of War 3 takes place like, literally seconds after the end of GoW2. As far as I understand, there's also nothing extra in there. It's just a prettier version of GoW3, so if you haven't played the other games, it probably won't make a lot of sense.

Hella good game though.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think of it kinda like Mass Effect, 2 is the best game, 1 is a very good intro to the story and three ties up the loose ends (better than mass effect does). I am sure that GOW games will make it to ps4 as ps2 games or as remasters like on PS3, I would wait.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

It is the worst game in the series by far. It is actually a fantastic place to start, as you won't be disappointed if/when you go back and play the other games. Play it with the knowledge that every other game in the series had awesome alternate weapons to use and infinitely more interesting locations to traverse and a story that made sense. Speaking of story, the the whole thing really feels like they just pulled it out of their ass. God of War 2 was building up to a different game than what we end up seeing in 3. It really felt like Stig had no fucking idea what made the franchise so great and thought people just wanted spectacle for the sake of spectacle.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Story isn't really a focus of these games, and they're all so alike anyway that you can jump into any and have a largely similar experience. GoW2 is the best, but 3's certainly no slouch and looked fantastic on the PS3, let alone the PS4.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend you play 2 before 3. You can skip the first one. GoW has aged decently, but 2 is a whole different ball park. Still one of the best action adventure games ever made. Gow3 Remastered isn't really worth it. That game still looks absolutely incredible on PS3.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I played through the HD Collection of God of War I and II around 2009 and God of War III in 2010. While the first two games probably don't hold up 100% compared to newer character action games, I enjoyed the experience of playing through the trilogy.

While you can enjoy God of War III on its own and pick up on the story pretty fast (God of War III starts with Kratos wanting to kill everybody and his reason is pretty simple), I think I enjoyed the third game more since I played the first two. This feels more like an optional thing than anything else though. The primary reason to see the entire story is because of the cliffhanger in GOW II. I only played this on the PS3, so I haven't seen the PS4 version, but it sounds like it is the better version of the game.

Besides that, God of War II may be the "best" game, but God of War III might be my favorite for a few reasons. God of War I has aged the most (obviously). Also, don't bother with Ascension. That's just not a good game, in my opinion.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok thanks for the feedback all. I will give the re-master a look if/when I get a PS4. I will look up the others. Can you play the first two on Vita at all?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

God of War I and II are great, III is solid but has some weird issues; I guess if you like narrative stuff (as opposed to gory/male power fantasy stuff) then you'll prefer it over the other two. It's cool to have an unapologetically violent, fucked up protagonist in video games; though I guess he can't really compare to Joel from the Last of Us as far as murdering tendencies go. Naughty Dog took up the mantle of Kratos with Drake and Joel/Ellie, and Lara Croft is still out doing her thing as well.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ericjasonwade

@johnlocke:

Yea the GOW collection is also on Vita as well as PS3 but it has some weird issues on Vita and it doesn't control as well, that being said if it's your only option then get it. Like others have said here it would be weird to just jump right into GOW 3 because it starts up literally seconds after GOW 2. It's still a really good game and being a protagonist who makes decisions you wouldn't make and is so ruthless is fun. Not a lot of developers do that with their characters, they usually want you to be the good guy or they try to give you at least some rationale for the decisions the character makes but with Kratos his carelessness for anyone around him is actually frightening.

Edit: I wouldn't say that I have a gore fetish at all but the visceral nature of the game is stunning.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 is the best in series, the first game didnt click with me until i got to the first boss(which happens pretty quickly). After that I was hooked. 3 was my least favorite as the story took a nose dive compared to the earlier games. So im not sure if the first is dated now but i would start there and play in order.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.