Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Why did this not get a mention for best looking game?

• 61 results
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By nrain

I listened to yesterdays bombcast and although I enjoyed hearing the deliberations immensely I couldn't help screaming God of War 3 throughout the best looking game discussion. I understand that they didn't want to turn it into which game has the most "graphics" but Need for Speed got a nomination which is what you would call a more realistic looking game than artistically favoured game.  So I'm just asking if they completely forgot about God of War; which looks so fricken good you can pretty much see Kratos' pores, or if it just didn't have enough style? 

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TorMasturba

I think they have to grind down what they talk about to a more succinct list for length of podcasts.  
    I mean they've made 3 podcasts for all the "Of The Year" awards, and GOW may have simply been eliminated before recording to help out with that length since none of them wanted to nominate beforehand it as they didn't believe it deserved the award... or something.  

I really don't know though... Please don't take anything I say as fact AT ALL! Merely speculation. For me I have no real opinion on GOW III since I've never played it

EDIT: Also there might have been an issue of only one of the team actually getting to play GOW III, probably the guy who reviewed it, Ryan. Again I don't know either way though, 
    but I feel like it's hard to have a discussion which game is more deserving of an award than which if most people in the group have never played such a game.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

They probably cut it before they started the Podcast. 

I'm surprised AC:B didn't get a mention, i'm finding it hard to finish that game just because i spend most my time just starting at buildings. It could just be me though seeing i really enjoy History especially ancient Rome.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By damswedon

I think only Ryan played it and he already had his favourite in Kirby or it got removed in pre-elimination. 
    But this is all speculation.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By damswedon
    @zombie2011 said:
    " They probably cut it before they started the Podcast.  I'm surprised AC:B didn't get a mention, i'm finding it hard to finish that game just because i spend most my time just starting at buildings. It could just be me though seeing i really enjoy History especially ancient Rome. "
    They said that it got cut for stability problems (Texture pop-in).
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

That's what happens when you lump technical graphics with artistic graphics.  There's no doubt that that game looks very crisp and realistic but I guess the staff members prefer a more stylized approach to visuals rather than those that push the limits of a console.  It's hard to say that Kirby's Epic Yarn and Limbo aren't beautiful games in their own respective ways.  If I were a guessin' man, which I am, I'll assume they're tired of seeing repeated attempts of looking as realistic as possible which is something too many games aim to achieve.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Liminality

This is exactly what I was thinking while listening to it

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Grissefar

Because due to the spontanious nature of the awards, it went from a Game of the Year 2010 to a combination of Games we liked Best 2010 or Games of the Holidays 2010. They also forgot FF XIII. It's hard to complain though, when there is 2 hours if delicious content each of these days.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696

I really want to say that the nominees were meant for the more artistic games. That's why I'm glad Kirby got a mention in the podcast, but it really confused me when they nominated Need for Speed. When they did that, I was also thinking that they have to nominate God of War III, but I guess not *sigh*.

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheSmashing

@rjayb89 said:

" That's what happens when you lump technical graphics with artistic graphics.  There's no doubt that that game looks very crisp and realistic but I guess the staff members prefer a more stylized approach to visuals rather than those that push the limits of a console.  It's hard to say that Kirby's Epic Yarn and Limbo aren't beautiful games in their own respective ways.  If I were a guessin' man, which I am, I'll assume they're tired of seeing repeated attempts of looking as realistic as possible which is something too many games aim to achieve. "

oh, so that's why need for speed hot pursuit was a runners-up.

...oh wait
    bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bearshamanbro

I respect their opinion and see where they are coming from. The way I see it is that really technical games have a big uphill battle in some peoples' mind. It's the "graphics does not equal good art direction" argument. I'm sure their argument is that while the graphics are really impressive in GOWIII that the overall art direction isn't very unique. It's like how some would argue Mirror's Edge is a better looking game than Crysis. IMO they should rename the category again to something ilke 'Best Art Direction'.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89
    @SmashingTimes said:
    "  @rjayb89 said:

" That's what happens when you lump technical graphics with artistic graphics.  There's no doubt that that game looks very crisp and realistic but I guess the staff members prefer a more stylized approach to visuals rather than those that push the limits of a console.  It's hard to say that Kirby's Epic Yarn and Limbo aren't beautiful games in their own respective ways.  If I were a guessin' man, which I am, I'll assume they're tired of seeing repeated attempts of looking as realistic as possible which is something too many games aim to achieve. "

oh, so that's way need for speed hot pursuit was a runners-up.   ...oh wait "
    I honestly don't know how that game looks, I'm guessing it looks like Burnout Paradise but with special effects.  But I don't really know really, so sure.  If I can recall correctly, during E3 Ryan found that the graphics of that of Kirby's Epic Yarn to be quite refreshing, different and that's what made it such as a strong contender in yesterday's awards.  A game that looked different from the rest which again were games that wanted to look super realistic.
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TorMasturba
    @zombie2011 said:
    "They probably cut it before they started the Podcast.  I'm surprised AC:B didn't get a mention, i'm finding it hard to finish that game just because i spend most my time just starting at buildings. It could just be me though seeing i really enjoy History especially ancient Rome. "

It's a good looking game, but best looking game of the year? 

I wouldn't even consider it, as there is definitely more deserving ones.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

I would have mentioned ACB at least. I do appreciate that they're recreating actual cities and shit, its not just a narrow path and a fixed cam with fancy shit happening far away.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By EuanDewar
    @ryanwho:
    Pretty sure on the podcast Vinny or Ryan pulls out ACB and they decide not to go with it for technical issues, pop in, framerate etc.
    The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Tolman

So this is the 10000 thread ive read today about really stupid little details involving the overall game of the year shit and its getting kinda annoying. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai
    @nrain: Why should they even mention the best looking game in 2010? You are asking a lot from them. 
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai
    @bearshamanbro: That would have made more sense but for some reason they went ahead with the wrong name for it. I think it goes to show how this whole GOTY awards on GB this year was hastily done and they all came into it completely unprepared. 
    jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By jamesisaacs

God of War III is no where near the best looking game. But are these award based on quality, style or both? If it's style then maybe.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chaos_Bladez

I was thinking the same thing. This game looks better than any of the nominees by far. I'm bothered that it wasn't even mentioned.
    A little disappointed in them.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @nrain said:
    " I listened to yesterdays bombcast and although I enjoyed hearing the deliberations immensely I couldn't help screaming God of War 3 throughout the best looking game discussion. I understand that they didn't want to turn it into which game has the most "graphics" but Need for Speed got a nomination which is what you would call a more realistic looking game than artistically favoured game.  So I'm just asking if they completely forgot about God of War; which looks so fricken good you can pretty much see Kratos' pores, or if it just didn't have enough style?  "
    I honestly believe they just flat out forgot... 

Like really Hot Pursuit over God of War III? I also found it weird Mass Effect 2 didn't get a mention. They'll throw out Brotherhood in contention but the other two got snubbed I felt like.

It's really whatever though, I also have no clue where the hell this thread is going... 

@jamesisaacs:
    The category is "best looking" just so they don't run into these dumb arguments and points you guys are making. It's just flat out what they liked the best in terms of graphics, easy and simple...you guys over react.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#22  Edited By Soap

I honestly think God Of War 3 wasn't mentioned simply because the forgot it, the opening section of that game was one of the most incredible thing I've seen all year in games.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RobotHamster

I personally think it was the best looking game this year, the models were great and they had amazing detail in the face and animations among other things. But I think they were looking at it in a more artistic way which is why Kirby won, but I'm ok with their decision because Kirby looks fantastic. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

Kirby did look good, but I kind of agree with whoever said it was just Nintendo doing their thing. It kind of was. This patchwork fabric motif, specifically, had already been done before in Yoshi's Story. I imagine people who never played that thought Kirby's Yarn looked especially unique, but that was the first thing I thought of.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Raymayne said:
    " @jamesisaacs said:
    " God of War III is no where near the best looking game.  "
    Yes it really is. You're a fucking idiot if you actually believe what you just said. "
    It really isn't. "Best-looking" is not the same as "most polygons." God of War III strikes a chord with its realism, but there are many other games that pull of a more stylized aesthetic to greater effect.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#27  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Raymayne said:
    " @jamesisaacs said:
    Yes it really is. You're a fucking idiot if you actually believe what you just said. "
    Why you always gotta be like that?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " @jamesisaacs said:
    Why you always gotta be like that? "
    Ray got coal for Christmas.
    reson8er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By reson8er

Not even including GoW 3 in the running really put me off.  IMO, by far, the best looking game of 2010, and its not even in the running...but they *mention* No more Heroes 2, wow.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @Kombat said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " @jamesisaacs said:
    It really isn't. "Best-looking" is not the same as "most polygons." God of War III strikes a chord with its realism, but there are many other games that pull of a more stylized aesthetic to greater effect. "
    God of War III's look is essentially "More God of War, now on PS3."  Technically impressive, yes, but nothing particularly new or inventive.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yup, I believe I was one of the first to mention that. I can't believe it wasn't even considered.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Animasta
    @Raymayne said:
    " @jamesisaacs said:
    Metro 2033 on the PC.

boom
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Laketown said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " @jamesisaacs said:
    Metro 2033 on the PC.  boom "
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By DanielJW

Ryan Davis, via Twitter :  

" guys. we didn't talk about god of war iii for best-looking game, I know. also, another game you liked didn't get an award! it happens! "

All of this whining surrounding game of the year totally sucks.  
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TehFlan

Because you touch yourself at night.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By warxsnake

I dont think these awards should be taken seriously, much less any other awards show. 

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37  Edited By GS_Dan
    @Laketown said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " @jamesisaacs said:
    Oh, yeah. Agreed.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Vinny_Says

So when they fail to mention GOW 3 because it's obviously is the best looking game and then name stuff like Francis York Morgan a better character than John Marston you're all totally fine with it? Ya'll need to cool off and realize they'll pick whatever they want, they aren't electing the next president folks!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklabeldomm said:
    " So when they fail to mention GOW 3 because it's obviously is the best looking game and then name stuff like Francis York Morgan a better character than John Marston you're all totally fine with it? Ya'll need to cool off and realize they'll pick whatever they want, they aren't electing the next president folks! "
    Damn straight, people take this way too serious. 
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By fox01313

Agreed with TaliciaDragonsong & others, sure it didn't get pushed to the top of best looking game but award shows are thier opinions on the matter. Yes god of war didn't win best looking game but you know what I'm betting it probably will get at the top if not the win for ps3 games for this year. Award shows like this are entertaining but in the end if a certain game/movie/book/ect. doesn't win guess what, you can still enjoy it & put it on your top 10 for best of the year & love the hell out of it.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hamz

Minecraft is the best looking game this generation. One of the few games that makes an effort to actually show the difference between gravel, earth, stone, bedrock, sand, grass, snow and so on. FUCK YEAH MINECRAFT!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Hamz:  

I'll agree with that, the Scribble Texture for Minecraft are beautiful.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @TaliciaDragonsong: @fox01313: @blacklabeldomm: @DanielJW:  

I think a lot of people got a little peeved...was they flat out didn't mention it. 

If they had talked about God of War III and put it aside super quick this topic wouldn't have happened, no one saying it should have won just they didn't even say anything about it.
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Scrawnto
    @GS_Dan said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " @jamesisaacs said:
    Oh, yeah. Agreed. "
    Definitely, and that also didn't even get a mention. If the award had been for technical achievement, I would have wanted Metro to win.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DanielJW
    @Doctorchimp: They didn't say anything about a lot of games. I think that it would have been more reasonable to assume that they just didn't think it deserved to win rather than assume they forgot it. They aren't stupid, I'm sure there's a ton of prep involved with making these lists to begin with to ensure games aren't forgotten. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-6427167031e01
    deactivated-6427167031e01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

I think what is becoming apparent are the problems of having such a small editorial staff and maintaining full transparency during the Game of Year deliberations. The magic of this website for 11 months out of the year is the personal, enthusiastic, laid back yet respectable approach they take with gaming and the gaming community. They are very up front about their personal opinions, acknowledge how that plays into their reviews and commentary, and obviously care how their viewers and readers experience their content. 

We're being given a backstage view of what (hopefully) happens at every major video game publication during Game of the Year debates. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that every video gamer reviewer has their own personal preferences for games that skew their opinion, that no publication or website has an editor that has played every title released in that year, and that occasional debating fatigue will result in some titles being neglected or overlooked.  It's fascinating to listen to, and reminds us all just how difficult it is to debate over anything in which your convictions have you sold on your prospective. I get a kick out of how this site's content, when compared to the game of the year stuff, gives a wonderful opportunity to conduct a people study on the editors of Giantbomb and their interactions with each other. The typically silent Brad is EN FUEGO during GoY talks, Jeff's opinion oftentimes thumps down a conversation rapidly, and listening for Ryan's "let's move the fuck on" voice begins to seep into his talking points are half the fun.

I say listen to it, enjoy it, and - like ScrewAttack.com's Stuttering Craig says - make your own damn list if you're that upset. Nothing's stopping you, and chances are there will be a TON of people here to tell you you're wrong when you're done.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @DanielJW said:
    " @Doctorchimp: They didn't say anything about a lot of games. I think that it would have been more reasonable to assume that they just didn't think it deserved to win rather than assume they forgot it. They aren't stupid, I'm sure there's a ton of prep involved with making these lists to begin with to ensure games aren't forgotten.  "
    Right, like I said though... 

It would have given people piece of mind to have the crew go "eh, God of War III wasn't that impressive". Again this topic isn't saying it should have won, but when Hot Pursuit gets the nomination for being technically impressive along with Vinny and Ryan throwing away Assassin's Creed Brotherhood in the podcast. It makes it look like they might have forgot about God of War 3 in not even bringing it up.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DanielJW
    @Doctorchimp: I suppose but then they'd have to say Metro 2033 didn't make it and Heavy Rain didn't make it and all that stuff. It's much easier just to run down the list of candidates than to run down the list of cuts. 
    Lingxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lingxor

When I was listening to the podcast I sounded like they just forgot about it or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.