Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War

Franchise »

The God of War franchise is a series of action-adventure games available on Sony PlayStation consoles. It chronicles the exploits of the anti-hero Kratos and his quest for revenge on the Greek Gods for the death of his family.

God of War 4 Leak - Norse setting - Thoughts?

• 117 results
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Pretty much agree with everybody else. I'm fine with more GoW, but I'm super done with Kratos

blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By blade_r

Awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on this game! I love Kratos and GOW. I can't wait to punch Thor's head into a bloody pile of mush XD

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They should have done this like 2 games ago but better late than never

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good God, Sony, just let Santa Monica do literally anything else.

this man this is sad.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they've tried and failed that at an internal level. Maybe they pitched Drawn to Death there originally.

Bouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

Sure I'm in, I never played Ascension so the last one I played was 6 years ago at this point and those games are still real good.

Curious if it's still the same Kratos with all his memories and whatnot or if it's actually technically a different character just with the same look? Think I'm good either way, new character would let them do stuff but the idea of Kratos being so mad he wants to kill some more gods ain't bad either.

Yeah same here, it's definitely been a while so whatevs. I just disliked 2 and 3 much more than 1 just because 1 felt like it had at least some restraints when it came to pacing the constant spectacle with less bossfights and such. 2 and 3 might as well have been a mythical being murder simulator.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Dayve86

@csl316: It mostly just has to do with Kratos and his story. In the first game he was an anti hero with somewhat of relatable revenge story. You could understand why this guy (who was already a pretty big asshole before hand) would stomp through ancient Greece killing whatever stands in his way in order to exact revenge for his family.

But then in the second and third games (especially in three), he comes of as whiny teenager lashing out at his parents. He just turns into this dude who has a never ending anger that just hurts way more than he helps.

Those games were fun and I still loved playing them. But even if you were on board with Kratos through to the end of God of War III, dudes story is done. The prequels to come after only further turned people off from Kratos as a vehicle for more story telling. You can only take so much of seeing the guy get unreasonably angry at stuff.

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they make Kratos like Ragnar from Vikings I will be super down with that. He is a much more likable murderer.

(I also advise people to watch Vikings if they haven't - it is pretty dope)

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If true thats fine with me, its been a while now. I just wish it didn't have anything to do with Kratos. Hes a terrible fucking character that I can only see angst driven teens enjoy, because of how "badass" and "cool" he is.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: the only thing that I see people really consistently hating on are they parts that don't really matter for a video game, characters, and story. Both are important, but just like people who hate walking simulators with zero mechanics (that's me) there are people who mostly come to games for narrative.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@party said:

@monkeyking1969: Wait. Your idea is too good. What if we had both games? You play Kratos' crazy dream sequences where he is a god-killer taking out his anger on everything in sight. QTE's galore. And then you wake up and go to your therapist to deal with your latent anger issues. Collectibles and stuff you do in the dream sequences affects the dialogue options you have during the therapist sessions and the choices you make during the therapy sessions affects the game play during the dream sequences.

LET'S GO KRATOS.

Actually, I think the GoW games can be what they have always been. But SOMEONE should make this idea too. I think a game where you thought it was Kratos going through therapy, but the developer never has to say it would still be just as cool.

It is a totally different perspective on the character, but it doesn't hurt anyone. Anyway, Kratos, is already a meme-joke about anger issues in all sort of media from web-comics to just reviews of past games; so there woudl be no more appropriate character for such a game.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

GoW4 is as needless as GoW4

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I am a little worn out on Kratos, but the Norse gods were some straight-up crazy mofos, so I'm hoping this winds up being interesting.

blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By blade_r

I kind of feel like his constant anger is pretty justified though...I feel like if I was in Kratos's shoes, I would be just as livid and pissed off as he always is.

It seems a lot of people don't like the angry revenge driven characters, but sometimes I can't help but root for them when you consider what they have been put through most of the time (Kratos, Scorpion, Sasuke etc.)

Lastly, I don't see why they would bring a new character in and start fresh. If Kratos didn't reach the level of popularity he has then I would understand doing that, but he has achieved video game icon status, Kratos is here for the long haul lol

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

They should just have you play an actioned up Hodur and tell their own spin on Ragnarok and brotherly love.

"They made me kill my brother, and now I gonna wreck their shit."

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#116  Edited By chilibean_3

Yeah, I think I can only care about this if they are willing to be knowing about how dumb the character of Kratos and the GoW games are these days.

Not in a LOL LOOK AT HOW DUMB/IRONIC THIS IS kind of way but in a Volition kind of way. It's a very hard thing to do though.

I can't imagine being excited for a new God of War.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By leejunfan83

@corvak said:

Should just leave Kratos and get a new protag. Maybe a less one dimensional "my rage is all I have" character.

I'd look at picking a female character, make her a Valkyrie or something.

This. I'm all for the new pantheons idea but let's get new protagonists for each one. Imagine how cool it would be wrecking the Hindu pantheon as Hanuman. Also, didn't Kratos kill himself for real at the end of III?

oh hell yeah

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@redhotchilimist:Ow there are plenty. I am sure most people won't be able to come up with too many Greek monsters.

There are a ton of Norse monsters that could work. Some of the ones you names are the big names one. I am sure Fenrir and Jormungandr will be bosses or minibosses in one way or another. (With that I put them on the same levels as gods, so they might not get that much credit in game)

• Different kind of giants/Jotunn (To replace the cyclopses)
    • Lots of different kind of dwarfs
    • Lots of different kind of dark elves (To be fair, I'll agree that a few races aren't straight up interesting, but there are different enough and there must be cool things to be done with them)
    • Valkyries
    • Proven Warriors that have ascended. (Throw in a little artistic freedom and turn them into something like warhammer chaos warriors)
    • Sea serpent (This might be too close to the one they had already though)
    • There are a few funky horse designs
    • Trolls
    • Undead/Draugr's (Perhaps undead versions of other monsters)
    • Dragons (Smaug was based on a norse dragon so)
    • Witches/mystics (Something along the lines of the witcher's witch coven, Baba yaga)
    • Monsterous boars
    • Not exactly iconinc, But I am sure there will be some monsterous crows in there that replace harpies.
    • I am sure there are a ton of earth forest spirits I don't know the particulars about that could be used

I just think is that greek mythology has been used more. And I would be a supporter of an even less know mythology. (Egypt - Could make sense in the greek time period, they have a period of concurrency. Or A middle American culture,... But then the problem of known monster might be even more.)

Although I would argue that there are a ton of monsters from there that people know but can't recall right away. I think that was the same with greece. When you see then you will find they are not out of place, but you might not think of all of them of off the top of your head.

That being said. I do agree that it is weird to still use Kratos. I think if they lean into it they might be able to make that appropriately dumb to be fun. My fear is that it will play exactly like he did before. And God of War alwasy looked great, but it certainly was one of the least fun 'one of those games'.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.